1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

More than a lakeside wedding

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Salty, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Suppose a couple came to you wanting to be married in a lake - not on a boat - but actually standing in the lake with water up your waist. The couple would have their swimming suits on since their first act of marriage would be a swimming session.

Would you preform that wedding?

#1 Salty, Oct 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2010
  2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uhhh can you swim :tongue3:

Not sure I would. Marriage seems a tad more serious than trunks and flippers, but that is just me probably.

Where ya gunna do the premarital counseling? :wavey:

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't, not with those kind of requirements. I believe marriage is to sacred to be started like that.

4. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

I could not agree more.

5. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it would depend on what kind of fish were in that lake and if I were allowed free fishing after the ceremony.:laugh:

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

:D Got waders? :D

Personally, I think if a couple has to do something this different to make their wedding day memorable, they have no business getting married. Their attention should be on each other not on the show. Just my opinion of course.

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree with this. I don't think having a non-traditional wedding means that the attention is not on the bride and groom.

8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that marriage is holy and sacred, too.

But I don't believe that some venues are more holy and sacred than others. What makes a man-made church sanctuary more holy than a lake?

Those two getting married in a lake could be Christians. And by the same token you could have a couple get married in a church with a solemn ceremony and a preacher reading much scripture and they could be lost as a goose and headed straight for hell.

As far as weddings, I say, it's the bride's and groom's business.

Come on, now people, haven't you been to a HOST of weddings where the bride walks down the aisle of a church in a white dress and she's 7 months pregnant. That bothers me more than the lake.

Haven't you to a HOST of weddings where you KNOW the groom is obviously hung over and has a past untold (and half the bridesmaids can personally testify to it). That bothers me WAY more than the lake.

The venue isn't sacred. The vows are sacred. What God has put together is sacred.

#8 Scarlett O., Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  9. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

The original question though was if a pastor should marry them in the lake. I would hope that any pastor would refuse to marry in either of the situations you mention as well.

10. Crucified in Christ

Stefan,
    You may be correct, but I want their attention to be on Christ. If it is not, they can find someone else to marry them.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    June, the month of brides will soon be here. I wonder what other stupid ideals a couple might have for a "wedding"

As for me, I would only preside over a more traditional setting - as has been stated by Tom
    "I wouldn't, not with those kind of requirements. I believe marriage is to sacred to be started like that."

12. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But why does traditional have to mean sacred?

I'll just be honest. I have "issues" with traditional weddings. They make me crazy. And I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. It's all so rote and memorized and EVERYBODY says the same vows, wears the same white dress, lights the same unity candle, uses the same music, and then, the WORST part in MY church is the droning of the monotone voice ...

...."Deaaaarly Beloooveeeeed, we are gathered here today in the siiight of God and these witnesses to unite in matrimoooony Earl and Luciiiille....."

I mean, I don't mean to make fun of my pastor, but I swear to you he literally reads it verbatim every single time - with his head down in the "ceremony book" - and reads in the same robotic voice.

It drives me slam up the wall.

I've played the piano for weddings for 35 years. I've directed quite a few also. I charge $150 as a pianist and during wedding season, I charge more, just to keep them at bay.

It's the same cake, the same music, the same decorations in the same social hall, the same ring ceremony, the same prissy bridesmaids with froo-froo dresses, the same bored-to-tears groomsmen, the same boo-hooing mothers, the same broke dads, and the same"Whoooo giveeth this woman....?" and the same "If anyone doeth find a reason why this couple should NOT be joined in marriage ........"

I'm telling you, just once, I would like to see someone in the congregation jump up and say "I DON'T THINK THEY SHOULD GET MARRIED BECAUSE EVERYONE SITTING HERE KNOWS THEY ARE GOING TO BE DIVORCED IN LESS THAN TWO YEARS .... LET'S JUST SKIP THIS FACADE AND GO EAT SOME CAKE!"

I swear my anxiety level goes up during every single wedding I have to do.

And I still don't understand why the traditional same-old, same-old equates with sacredness.

If I ever get married I decided a long time ago that I will either go to a justice of the peace in my blue jeans or fly to the Great Wall of China and have a band of small Chinese children serenade us while we get married or take a yacht to the middle of the ocean and let the ship captain say, "Do you? OK. Do you? OK. Alright ,you're done - sign this license" and then we would swim with the dophins. :flower: :laugh:

ANYTHING except the cookie-cutter wedding that is "traditional" at my church. I truly believe that the sacredness of the union comes from the pure intent of the bride and groom to live up to God's expectations as a husband and wife together and to honor him with their marriage.

And I don't think that sacredness is found anywhere else - especially not in tradition.

#12 Scarlett O., Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  13. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

I doubt that I would go in the lake......I performed one on a beach last summer but the couple wrote their vows.....other than on a beach it was fairly traditional.

I will be performing on on a golf course as soon as wedding arrangements are complete.

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

FORE!!!!!

Who am I kiddin'?? I haven't played golf in so long, and my tee shot wouldn't go very far!!!

THREE!!!!!LOL

15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Now, in all honesty, I see nothing wrong with getting married on a golf course, in the lake, at the BBQ pit, etc. The main thing is that they have a true understanding of what marriage really is all about, putting each other first, and not like the opera singer who goes, "me, me, me, me, me, me!!" They need to be counselled by the one performing the ceremony, and be told that you don't take your vows just before the preacher, each others families, and friends, but before Him as well. They need to be taught that after they are married, in the eyes of God, they become "one flesh". So, it's not a matter of where they get married at that means the most, but the days leading up to that great day....and how they get a true understanding of what the wedding vows mean.

i am I AM's!!

Willis

16. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So you're the kind of guy that would say NO to a Starfleet wedding?

:tonofbricks:

17. Crucified in Christ

Well...I don't want to be too hasty...I need more info...would it be original series cast only? You see the Deacons have already banned TNG and DSN costumes from the fellowship hall so that would present a problem.:thumbs:

18. MamaCW

MamaCW New Member

I see traditional as church wedding...non traditional is becoming popular though...beaches, hotels, even amusement parks.. i keep it traditional :) hehe..
    and although june is big on weddings..wedding season starts THIS month..april may june and september are the biggest months of weddings...here's a shot from MYYYY wedding :)

[​IMG]

19. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Scarlett, I love you! You have made my day and you did it a week ago already!

Can I share your post with a friend of mine who owns a bridal shop?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: