1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

more then we can bear???

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by donnA, Apr 26, 2004.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

I hear people say things like God doesn't give us more then we can bear. Where does that come from, is the a scripture for that?

2. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

I believe it falls under 1 Cor 10:13 - "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

We are to bear it:

Gal 6:5 - "For every man shall bear his own burden."

Is that what you are talking about?

3. luvnlife33

luvnlife33 New Member

Bethel.. I have always believed that and it has kept me strong.... just when you think you can't take anymore.... God is good!

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't think temptation is the something.
    To me what this saying really means is I stand up by my own strength, because God has not given me more then I on my own am able to stand up under. Not really what I see in scripture, in scripture God is our strength, when we reach the end of our own strength God holds us up, it is Him and His strength. Now if God doesn't give me more then I can bear up under, then I am expected to be strong enough, and not lean on Him for strength. I believe God gives us more then our own strength can bear up under so we run to Him, in these times we grow in faith.
    As this scripture verse says, I believe it is temptation to sin.

5. luvnlife33

luvnlife33 New Member

I think it applies differently to all. I just recently quit smoking 6 weeks now.. and yesterday was my worst day ever.. my husband, my kids, my house etc... the only thing I could think about was smoking a cigarette. The day had become too much for me... and right when I thought - I am going to crack.. God relieved me

6. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

As far as your question goes, I don't know of any scripture that makes the statement about "more than we can bear."

I believe the understanding is from the misquote of that verse. I don't agree with the quote that people use, but this is where I believe they take it from.

I hear it alot myself.

7. luvnlife33

luvnlife33 New Member

I was referring to 1 Cor 10:13 - "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

8. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

luvnlife33:
    I agree.

I think that what donnA was getting at, though was to find the source of this statement in scripture. I guess it is a surmise, but I think we take that verse and shorten it.

I was only responding to her first question of where I thought that that idea came from. I'm thankful that 1 Cor 10:13 rang true for you. [​IMG]

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

Thats is exactly what I mean. It was more then you could handle,and you needed God.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

Those are my thoughts exactly. I thought this was the verse they took it from, but that it was also a misunderstanding of this verse.
    As I said before, I think God allows us more then we can handle, simply becasue then we must rely on Him, if He did, we would not choose to rely on Him.
    God always allow more then you can handle, just becasue you may not have experienced it yet does not mean you will not. Of course maybe He has you did not recognize His work.

11. luvnlife33

luvnlife33 New Member

I needed him so much is true... but I don't know what keeps me from yelling out his name... I have been saved for 7 years, but haven't always lived right.. the crawl before you can walk thing..well I've crawled for 6 years and now I have pulled myself up to the coffee table - no going back now!!! I still think 'I' can't fight it (devil) eventhough I know I can't.