1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mormons are Christian, says Joel Osteen

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Oct 25, 2011.

?
  1. Yes, without a doubt...

29 vote(s)
    78.4%
  2. Yes, but, it has Christian elements...

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. No....

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. It would be judgmental on my behalf to say either way...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Joel Osteen would not know the difference between a demon and a cult....

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  6. Joel Osteen's teaching is on the fringe of being a cult (see my reasons)

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  7. I'd participate with them in a local rally against gay marriage....

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  8. I'd participate with them in a local rally against abortion....

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  9. Their status is up to God to judge....

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  10. I know many very caring Mormons, and believe they are sincere...

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes I know, but I have no hatred in my heart for Joel or anyone else. That's the difference. The bible describes what a fool is all throughout the book of Proverbs. There is a difference in what I said and what you're trying to imply I said.

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Joel Osteen is to theological thought as . . .

a chicken is to an airplane.

3. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

So we can be assure that they are a Cult, and that NONE of their "revelation" came to them by God of the Bible, but from the god of this present age!

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mormonism has the marks of a cult.

My research:

It is definitely a system of works/merit whereby you attain to eternal life in one of three realms (terrestial, telestial, celestial).

Apparently only worthy Mormon men can hope to attain to the celestial realm.

Someone talked about their redefining of terms, they certainly do and it is strange and confusing to we the orthodox:

Although they support Christ as "atoning" Savior, they don't support the eternal deity of Christ although they would say He is now a deity.

Although they hold to a kind of triad of Father, Son and Holy Spirit (and baptize accordingly), in essence they do not agree with the orthodox definition of the eternal Trinity. Specifically that the members of the "God" triad although perhaps are eternal spirits were not always "almighty".

And many other unorthodox teachings but these show that they are not orthodox in the essential of the eternal and almighty Triune God.

Anyway we will hear from them soon at Christmas time (Mormon Tabernacle Choir).

HankD

#24 HankD, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  5. JesusFan

Think that Mormons have done agreat job in "persuading" Chrsitians that they ae just another church within Christiandom, but their doctrines are NOT biblcal, as they do a revisn and new understanding for every concept that theytake from the Bible!

6. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

One time I was at church for choir practice for a special performance and during a break in rehearsal some of us started talking about how good the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is and I referred to them as heretics and two people told me to stop being so judgmental.

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Paul, those are folks who are ignorant of the facts concerning Mormon doctrine. Most are shocked when they find out the truth.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul, I trust you did NOT apologize for giving the truth. (and sometimes the truth hurts). When we call someone a heretic, we do need to make sure we have the proper info to back it up. (hope you did, if they asked)

I will say there are tactful ways of saying Mormons are a cult. As Christians, that is the way we should approach it.

9. JesusFan

Our biblical example is given by Apostle John , and he did not "mince" words on those who denied jesus as Christ, neither did the Apostle paul mince words, and try to be "politically correct!"

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I think the word 'cult' has been bandied about so much, and the word 'Christian' has also, that we need to be more precise about such things.

Mormonism is not a 'Christian' religion in the sense that they do not adhere to the fundamentals of the Christian faith- or perhaps better said- to classical interpretations of the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith.

Edit to add: And I wouldn't trust Joel Osteen's opinion on anything- except maybe where to find a good dentist.

11. JesusFan

Mormonism does NOT adhere to "biblical Christianity", as that religion would be called by Apostle Paul as being a "false Gospel/false Christ!"

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's true when they allow media ads. These ads do not go into their underlying doctrine. When they come to your house (and if you let them in) they are unashamed to tell you that they are the only true church.
    All others are apostate and false.

Also to become a Mormon one has to make a public witness that Joseph Smith is a true prophet from God and the Book of Mormon is true.

HankD

13. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mormonism is listed as a cult in the Bible classes at Liberty Univ, and I agree....they follow the teachings of Joseph Smith, set him high on a pedestal, believe that he did what he claims he did, and built a church around his delusions. The Mormons followed him blindly into polygamy and baptism of the dead. Hence, a cult.

ANY church that puts a man as head of their church (ex:the Pope) over the Lord Jesus Christ is considered a cult in my book.

14. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh don't get me wrong, it is an interesting thought for a poll. :thumbs:

I just don't care what Joel thinks. Going to Pastor Osteen for informed/formed theological contemplation is like asking my interior decorator to fix my A/C unit.

Sure they can look at it and tell me somethings wrong (it's hot inside, or it's not working) but they sure can't do much about it other than offer to rearrange my curtains.

I will say this, I don't think Mormons are a cult. They've long since left that status. I believe they are a heretical sect of Christianity whose teachings are aberrant (to be nice) declarations against biblical orthodoxy. They are more akin to a major world religion than a cult.

15. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Have to Agree....

This is a solid view of what they have gradually become. :thumbs:

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not only are Mormon's not christians, I would doubt Osteen is one.

I clicked no by accident (going off the title of the OP...failed to read the question). No they are not christian, yes they are a cult as they do not worship the one Triune God.

17. JesusFan

Mormonism fits classic Cult status as they do:
    Deny the Biblical view on nature of God, as have 3 Gods
    Deny the Cross as atonement for Sin
    Deny Bible as ONLY inspired Book from God
    Deny other churches as being "real Christians" as they see themselves as being "true christianity restored"
    Have Apostolic sucession in place

NEVER was a Christian group, always heretics, following doctrines of demons!

18. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The man is a false teacher, or is very very ignorant of the Bible and Mormons. I bet in his case its because of his deep ignorance which does not surprise me knowing something about these Charismatic revival churches whom often preach more about experience and their feelings than the Bible. Often these preachers go to the pulpit without studying the Bible, because they are more interested in what they can say, rather than what the Word of God says.

Its too bad as Osteen is a very very very gifted communicator. Some pastors speak all the correct doctrines and do a good job at exegesis, but cant keep anyone attention but their own flock. I have been in plenty of churches with super dull and boring pastors who often put people to sleep.

John