1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Moses' deception

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Deacon, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was Moses being deceptive when he asked Pharaoh to allow God’s people to travel three days journey into the desert in Exodus?

[QUOTE Ex. 7:16 “Let My people go, that they may serve Me in the wilderness.”

Ex. 8:27 “We must go a three days’ journey into the wilderness and sacrifice to the LORD our God as He commands us.”

Ex. 10:9 Moses said, “We shall go with our young and our old; with our sons and our daughters, with our flocks and our herds we shall go, for we must hold a feast to the LORD.”

Ex. 10:24-26 Then Pharaoh called to Moses, and said, “Go, serve the LORD; only let your flocks and your herds be detained. Even your little ones may go with you.” But Moses said, “You must also let us have sacrifices and burnt offerings, that we may sacrifice them to the LORD our God. Therefore, our livestock too shall go with us; not a hoof shall be left behind, for we shall take some of them to serve the LORD our God. And until we arrive there, we ourselves do not know with what we shall serve the LORD.” [/QUOTE]

And was God condoning stealing from the Egyptians in Ex. 12:35,36?
    Rob

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First Moses didn't lie technically, he didn't say that they wouldn't be returning just that they had to get three days away from Egypt in order to do this feast and worship. Did he willingly deceive? I don't know but I don't think it really matters.

Personally, I believe that even Moses didn't fully comprehend what was happening, that God was permanently releasing them from their slavery to Egypt.

The "spoils" of Egypt:
    Notice they "requested" the bounty from the Egyptians, God intervened and gave them favor in the sight of the Egyptians who willingly gave them what they requested and in this manner they "plundered" the Egyptians.

HankD

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I read and re-read the interactions between Moses and Pharaoh I begin to see a lot of political interplay between them.

The Israelites didn't fully accept Moses as their leader. They didn't listen to Him. Only through the multiple plagues did the Israelites begin to see the power of their God and begin to know His full nature. The plagues were as much against Egypt as for the Hebrews.

Rob