1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mosque Plan Near 9/11 Site Is 'Indecent,' Says Ex-Muslim

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, May 31, 2010.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “I mean no disrespect to Muslims, but this is an unspeakably bad idea,” wrote Rod Dreher, director of publications at the John Templeton Foundation, in a Beliefnet blog on Thursday. “The 9/11 hijackers brought down those towers, and killed thousands, in the name of Islam.”

Although not all Muslims can be blamed for the 9/11 attacks, he said, “why on earth rub salt in the wounds of the 9/11 dead by allowing a mosque to go in just two blocks from where jihadists incinerated or crushed over 2,700 innocent victims, in service of their faith?”

Dreher highlighted the comment made by Community Board 1 member Rob Townley who called the plan a “seed of peace.” But he argued that even if there are good intentions behind the mosque, “there are some things you just don’t do.”

“[T]he inescapable fact is that those killings were carried out by Islamic religious fanatics who believed they were serving Islam through mass murder,” wrote Dreher. “I see the desire to erect such a building on the site not as a gesture of interreligious peace and reconciliation – which we need – but rather as an outrageous act of nerve and arrogance.”

More Here

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, let me get this straight. Because the 9/11 attackers were Muslim that means that no Muslim/Islamic group can build near the 9/11 site? Let's turn this around. Let's say that the attackers were not Islamic, but a radical, right-wing, hate-group that claims to be Christian (a group like the skin heads, etc). Would we then find a church near the 9/11 site to be offensive?

I have no sympathy towards the false religion of Islam. However I do believe in freedom of religion. Unless it can be shown that the group building the Mosque is somehow supportive of or connected to the terrorists of 9/11, I don't see how there is a problem with the Mosque. Too many people are too easily offended. It seems that they sit around waiting for someone to offend them. People need to grow a thicker skin and need to find something to do so they don't have time to be offended at every little thing.