1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Most accurate English Translation

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by IFB Mole, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Why do these seem to be one of the most often used phrases I see on the BB in all threads? Is the only way we can stand to knock someone else down??

Sometimes it seems that that is how it is all over all forums where anything is discussed that has a hint of being controversial. Frankly, I see not need for insults on this board, and I know I don't need any. I can accumulate enough every day all on my own, without posting on any 'board'.

Ed

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Some cults certainly do, nowadays, having 'traslated' versions to support their own doctrines, and the RC church for years held to the Vulgate in the same manner, I'd say.

And let me say this to one who was so quick to denigrate "laptop scholars" - a 'nice' insult I'd say, as opposed to a vicious one, but an insult nonetheless. I make no claims to be a scholar of any sort, much less a 'laptop' flavor. But the internet and the work of many unknown Christians, in many cases, and for unknown thousands of hours work, has made available to anyone who gets on-line, a plethora of information and knowledge, at one's fingertips, that one could not accumulate otherwise, in ten lifetimes, let alone one. Truly, as the Bible says, "Knowledge shall be increased." I'm thankful it is being made so. I imagine the leading church men and women for nearly 2000 years would have given their eye teeth for just such a tool. Let's not pitch out the baby with the bathwater, just because so many use it for ungodly purposes.

Ed

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Uh, 'cause it is, after all, the KJV??

Don't you know that God holds the English speakers in higher regard than any others?? :rolleyes:

Ed

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

This is nothing less than "reverse" neo-orthodoxy, IMO.

Ed

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Good post!

And a belated Welcome to the BB.

Ed

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I guess the really funny thing would be if there were some Chinese dictator Mao version, or whatever, considered to be an inspired version by DMVOnlyists, but it contradicted the KJV. That would be tricky to resolve, wouldn't it? ;) Obviously both sides would claim the other one was corrupt.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Probably.

I really do not think there is any definite answer to the question of "Most Accurate English Translation" in every single verse. That is my personal opinion.

I personally think the NKJV is a pretty good translation, because of my general 'Majority Text' preference.

I do not care for the NIV, my wife's favorite BTW, because there is too much Dynamic Equivalency to suit me.

I also like the ESV, NASB, and HCSB, very much overall, from the times I have compared on Bible Gateway, but I own none of these three above.

I may get me an HCSB. As a 'Southern Baptist,' I should contribute to the coffers, you know! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I don't like the NIV, either. I tend to use the NKJV most of all, but I'm looking at ESV and HCSB, now. I thought NKJV used TR, though.

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Basically, but not exclusively. One can find concise margin notes about, say, Acts 8:37, and the questionable textual basis for it, for an example.

Ed

10. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, there is a very small group in Japan who are CJVO, "Classical Japanese Bible Only." There are others connected with them who prefer the Classical Japanese Bible but don't completely reject other versions.

Here is the irony. The Classical Japanese OT is the same as the Motoyaku ("Original Translation") OT of the 1870's, from the Masoretic Hebrew text. However, the NT is a revision of the Motoyaku, and is translated from one of the very first Nestle's texts, and is thus solidly in the Westcott-Hort line. Occasionally a KJVO rookie missionary will come over and insist that the Classical Japanese Bible is the Japanese equivalent of the KJV--until a veteran sits down with him and shows him the difference. (There are no Japanese NTs in print from the TR.) This may be the version that fellow in Pensacola inists is the Japanese equivalent of the KJV. The Motoyaku (trans. primarily from the KJV) hasn't been in print for 100 years or so. I had to search 2nd hand stores for 4 years to find my copy. And that is the rest of the story. :type:

11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

That's a really interesting story, thanks!

That's better than I could have hoped. It pits two Onlyists against each other, because they both think they have the "God-inspired" version, but the two versions disagree.

12. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a dilly! :thumbs:

13. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I suppose you mean this?

John 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

If not then how is it you can make such a sweeping statement without proof?

14. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Jim, as is quite common for you, you are accusing me of saying something I didn't say. I did not say, nor did I remotely suggest, that everyone could read in A.D. 150. In your haste to make it appear as if I said something beside what I actually said, you totally missed the point I was making. From there your entire argument simply degenerates into unfounded support for your own errant way of thinking.

Making God's word understandable for today's reader is not "dumbing down" the word of God in any way, Jim. However, making God's word easily misunderstood, as you would have it, is certainly not a very bright thing to do. You would have God's word understandable only to those who are "educated" to your own standards, while that is certainly not the intent of the original writers. Now was that the intent of the Holy Spirit when He inspired those writers.

:godisgood:

15. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Amen, Jim! But just as the various and differing KJVs do not just contain the word of God but are the word of God in English, it is also true the NKJV does not merely contain the word of God, it IS the word of God in English. Ditto the HCSB, the NIV, the NASB, etc. When you deny the veracity of the MVs you deny the veracity of what God has graciously provided for us. God didn't stop preserving His word in 1611 as you would have us believe, Jim. God actively continues the inerrant preservation of His word today. Praise God for his continuing work of preservation!

16. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Much of the KJVO point of view comes from a Seventh Day Adventist form sometime back in the 19th century. His false ideas have been cultivated by writers such as Riplinger, Gipp and Ruckman into what we see as the errant KJVO position of today. The sad thing is that there are those who actually fall for these false beliefs.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Come on folks. We go a couple weeks with no trouble, then we are forced back to deleting and closing.

Why can't we leave this old issue aside?

This IS NOT a KJV discussion. It WILL be closed if this train continues.

18. Keith M

Keith M New Member

There are apparently those who errantly believe God has limited His preservation work to one particular English Bible version.

It's sad, but the "usual suspects" have derailed this discussion into yet another discussion of the KJVO position.

19. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

That is quite a statement to make! I am no brilliant scholar by any means but I do know one thing, things that are different are not the same! Let us not take the KJVO stand for a moment... let us consider though, that the varying versions contradict one another. How is that the KJV, the NIV, and the NASB (etc,) can all be "the word of God" in English if they not only say different things at some points, but say completely different things at certain points, to the degree of contridicting one another? How can two things (or 3,4,5,6, etc in the case of versions) be the same if they are different?

20. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

You are right there, I had momentarily overlooked that memory. I do believe some Spanish speaking groups hold to one version as well...

Is a statement always an insult if it is the truth? Or as Paul said, Galatians 4:16 Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.