1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Most accurate modern English translation

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Ivon Denosovich, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I like the kjv,ESV,NKJV best and in that order. I just finished reading White's book and found it to be well done with many valid observations and remarks. A couple of things come to my mind as we discuss the KJ thing again. one, if it don't need any updating why does it now have it's own dictionary.Two how come most people who are KJVO types are not carrying around the original 1611 with the forward by the translators in it,as well as the apocophygria(whatever it is) in the middle, and the notes all over the sides telling of alternate views of the translation. And how come the letters are'nt turned backwards like in the 1611 version. If your KJV don't have these fine features you are fighting for one dragon while going out with another.:laugh:

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good observations POB . For those of you who have read White's book : Have you gotten the impression that the NIV is a better version than you had previously thought ?

3. kubel

kubel New Member

Not just specifically the NIV, more like all modern versions, but yes.

Coming from a KJVO background, it has been part of my faith to look blindly at the NIV as the corrupt flagship of modern perversions- representing all things evil and satan inspired, pro-gay, wicked, etc... After throwing out the faith of onlyism and all the conspiracy theories and paranoia surrounding them, just reading facts makes me not so anti-NIV. I now look at it as just another valid English translation.

4. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

The MLB is still in print. Hendrickson is the sole publisher. You can get it at Christianbook.com and Amazon.com. The NIV has renderings that are more colloquial:

Matthew 27:24

NIV

When Pilate saw that he was getting nowhere, but that instead an uproar was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd. "I am innocent of this man's blood," he said. "It is your responsibility."

Modern Language Bible

When Pilate saw that he was accomplishing nothing but instead a riot was brewing, he took water and washed his hands before the crowd, saying, "I am innocent of the blood of this man; you yourselves see to it."