1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

most Non-denom churches tend to follow baptist theology

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by John3v36, Jan 4, 2005.

1. mioque

mioque New Member

John3v36
    Covenant Theology is a school of Biblical interpretation based on the the idea that throughout Biblical history, God's various covenants were either one and the same, or subsets of each other. Depending on what is fashionable at the moment, theologians will either refer to one all-encompassing covenant (with no clear break between the Israelite nation and the Christian church), or two or more covenants wrapped in a container covenant (with a definite break between Israel and the church).

2. mioque

mioque New Member

John3v36
    Dispensationalism is a school of Bible interpretation that seeks to address the apparent contradictions in doctrine and practice that arise from viewing both the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament as Scripture. The dispensationalist approach to these issues is based on what they call "rightly dividing the word of truth" (cf. 2 Timothy 2:15). They do this by breaking sacred history up into several different "dispensations", (time periods) which mark separate covenants that God is thought to have made with humanity.

The most common list includes seven such dispensations:

* Innocence - Adam
    * Conscience - After man sinned, up to the flood
    * Government - After the flood, man allowed to eat meat, death penalty instituted
    * Promise - Abraham up to Moses and the giving of the Torah
    * Law - Moses to the crucifixion of Jesus
    * Grace - The cross to the Millennial Kingdom
    * Millennial Kingdom - A 1000 year reign of Christ on earth centered in Jerusalem

3. mioque

mioque New Member

Dispensationalism as a specific system invented (sort of) by Darby and popularized (in the US) by Scofield, has some added baggage. Things like the secret Rapture. I have doubts about those and not with the basics.

4. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

mioque

I never heard of a "secret Rapture" What is that?

5. mioque

mioque New Member

"What is that?"
    "
    Ever read Left Behind?

6. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

no
    nor have I seen the movie

7. mioque

mioque New Member

8. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

Back to the topic.

I am an ordained pastor, ordained through an independant baptist church. I am the pastor of a non-denom church. The theology and doctrinal statement is the same.

Lady Eagle, please explain wheather you believe ALL gifts of the Spirit have ceased. That is not a normal Baptist view.

As for Eternal Security, this church has believed it since it was officially formed. Baptist in every distinctive, but we don't need to flaunt the title.

We can talk about the couse of education God has chose for me later.

Any responses to the rest of my post?

9. billwald

billwald New Member

>for Y'all who do not beliveve Dispensationalism
    How did God deal with man before the law?

Like St Paul, you fail to differentiate between the Mosiac Covenant and law. Before God gave the first law - "Don't eat from this tree - God dealy eyeball to eyeball.

>Why was Cain not put to death?

Because there was no law against murder at that time.

>Was Jacob sinning when he married sisiters?

No, because Jacob was not obligated by the non-existant Mosiac Covenant.

10. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

First lets clarify the rapture and the 2nd come of Christ are 2 different events. The Rapture we will meet him in the air. The 2nd coming will comes after the tribulation.

you will find some of the early Christian making vague reference to the rapture but the fires very clear statement comes early in medieval period in a sermon some ascribe to Ephraem the Syrian entitled Sermon on The Last Times, The Antichrist, and The End of the World. The sermon was written some time from the fourth to sixth century. The rapture remark reads as follows:

Why therefore do we not reject every care of earthly actions and prepare ourselves for the meeting of the Lord Christ, so that he may draw us from the confusion, which overwhelms all the world? . . . For all the saints and elect of God are gathered, prior to the tribulation that is to come, and are taken to the Lord lest they see the confusion that is to overwhelm the world because of our sins.

[​IMG] Saint John

11. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

This sounds like 3 different dispensations?!?

12. mioque

mioque New Member

"the rapture and the 2nd come of Christ are 2 different events."
    "
    Sure the 2nd coming is going to happen, the existance of a seperate Rapture is far from decided at this point.

And apparently there are some problems with using psuedo-Ephraem's sermon as evidence for pre-Darby Rapture teaching.
    http://www.geocities.com/~lasttrumpet/ephraem1.html

13. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

After reading the site I do not see the problem.

The Bible still Dispensationalism and we can talk about history (no matter what proof I come up with you do not seem to like it) and did he or did he not I see it in history but far beyond that, God word teaches it. thats good enf for me.

14. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

After reading the site I do not see the problem.

The Bible still teaches Dispensationalism and we can talk about history (no matter what proof I come up with you do not seem to like it) and did he or did he not I see it in history but far beyond that, God word teaches it. thats good enf for me.
    </font>[/QUOTE]

15. mioque

mioque New Member

"The Bible still teaches Dispensationalism"
    "
    The Bible is actually rather vague on this issue, that's why there is a lot of disagreement on it.

"and we can talk about history (no matter what proof I come up with you do not seem to like it)"
    "
    I've got a degree in churchhistory, I know all of the tricks used to make something look good that isn't.

16. kjv34

kjv34 New Member

pastorjeff what gifts do you believe are still in operation today I believe that tongue has ceased , but the gift of Helps is still for today
    most non-denoms say they are Baptist in Doctrine but I've found out they don't believe in eternal security by asking questions your the 3rd that said that you believe in eternal security out od about 20 the other 2 are a brother-in-law and my sister.

17. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

When we look at the listings of gifts in the New Testiment there is a distinction in the three main lists given to us. I believe the sign, or authenticating gifts are unnessissary to the edification of the church and are not in use at this time. This whould include tounges and prophesy (fortelling, forthtelling is still used in our ministries today). As for the eternal security issue, even baptist churches are in disagreement on that. I was ordained through a baptist church, born and bred by baptist distinctives. I, however, was born again by the spirit of God and that has nothing to do with denominations. It is hard to discuss these things because, just like baptists, non-denom churches mainly believe in the autonomy of the local church. Because of this you will get people on all sides of the fence. I just happened to think it was an odd statement earlier about the gifts. I had never heard shuch a blanket statement about gifts in gweneral. Most all believers I know believe the HS still gives gifts as he see fit for the building up of the church.

18. 7-Kids

7-Kids New Member

But what about the diffrent Dispensation in the bible?

19. billwald

billwald New Member

1. God's covenants are cumulative, not substitutional. There is no conflict between them.

2. Dispensationalist error - major error of all denominations - is to fail to see that the Mosiac Covenant was strictly a social contract for people living in the Land. There is no unique reference in Exo thru Deut that refers to gentiles living outside the Land OR to the next life. The blessings and curses are strictlt temporal.

3. We are obligated to 9 out of the 10 "commandments" because the New Testiment obligates us and not because they were in the Mosiac Covenant.

4. It is illogical to seperate the 10 words out of the 613 statements of the Mosiac Covenant. It is cheap and easy to claim that Christians are not obligated by the so called administrative and ceremonial laws BECAUSE no Christian has had the guts to classify the 613 statements. They are available at
    www.jewfaq.org/613.htm

5. Spiritual Israel has always been a sub set
    of biological Israel. Read thru Paul's writings. Every reference to "The Jews" refers to biological Israel and every reference to "Israel" refers to spiritual Israel, with one exception.

20. mioque

mioque New Member

Thank you Billwald