1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

most Non-denom churches tend to follow baptist theology

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by John3v36, Jan 4, 2005.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Billwald - your statement is largely supportable except for possibly 3 and 5.

In Romans 9 Paul makes the point that they are NOT all Israel who are descendants of Israel. (He does NOT say- ALL those descendant from Israel are not Israel as if to limit the spiritual term to some subset WITHIN literal Israel).

And your "nothing in the 613 is valid if not fully repeated in the NT" Idea is not supportable in all of scripture.

Note that the 2nd commandment is not repeated in full NOR is the 3rd commandment repeated AT ALL in the NT.

This "not repeated then deleted" approach to God's Word -- never worked in all of time.

In Christ,

Bob

2. Eladar

Eladar New Member

I'm guessing the reason why one Non-Denominational church around here seems so Baptist is that it was a Baptist church that simply changed its name.

3. 7-Kids

7-Kids New Member

If the covenant teaching is not "not substitutional".
    all the things that changed?

LIKE:
    Sunday for Saturdays
    Christ for animals

And things like a woman being on that time of the month is no longer unclean?????????

4. 7-Kids

7-Kids New Member

LIKE:
    Sunday for Saturdays
    Christ for animals

And things like a woman being on that time of the month is no longer unclean?????????
    </font>[/QUOTE][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. 7-Kids

7-Kids New Member

LIKE:
    Sunday for Saturdays
    Christ for animals

</font>[/QUOTE][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]mioque . . . billwald

Y'all still there?

Yes [​IMG] No [​IMG]

6. 7-Kids

7-Kids New Member

7. mioque

mioque New Member

I'm a churchhistorian not a theologian, so the fine print on this theological issue I'll leave to others. Still the stock covenant theology answers to these are rather simple.

"Sunday for Saturdays"
    "
    It is the setting aside of one day in seven that is significant, not the day itself. The Reformer and Covenant theologian Calvin, the great champion of not doing anything fun on sundays, once said that he had no theoretical objection against folks who made wenesday their sunday.

"Christ for animals"
    "
    It is the sacrifice that matters, not the form it takes.

"And things like a woman being on that time of the month is no longer unclean????????? "
    "
    Most of the OT rules were there to seperate the Israelites from the surrounding idol worshippers and have little intrinsic meaning of themselves. Seperation is important, the form it takes is indeed a formality.

8. The Undiscovered Country

With respect I think you are on really dangerous ground to says that any gifts given by God are unnecessary to today's church. 1 Corinthians 14:26 says 'when you come together, everyone has a hymn or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. All of these must be done for the strengthening of the church.' and v31 says 'for you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged'. Notice the emphasis in both verses the strengthening and encouragment of the church by these gifts.

We must be really careful not to try and be wiser than God in dismissing things He has provided as being unnecessary.

9. 7-Kids

7-Kids New Member

This all sound good and all but can you show me this from Gods word.

People tell me this stuff (and I'm not saying your wrong) but where do you get it from?

I like what lurther said: something like:
    unless you can convince me from sound reason and scripture here I stand I can do no other.

that is where I am. you can show me the history (and thats fine) but where is it in the Bible?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

Undiscovered Country,

Withint the context of I Cor. 12- 14, Paul makes a strong arguement for the gift of tounges being of little importance in the big picture. Prophecy here is refering to forthtelling, speaking a mesage that is understandable.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Just jumping in for one quick comment since I don't want to read 6 pages.
    Most non denom churches here are charismatic,and are pretty close to Penetcostal (and Ch.of God) doctrines, and then theres those who just make it up as they go along. Which I have seen happen. And no where near anything Baptist.
    Not sure about non denoms in other areas.

12. The Undiscovered Country

Paul certainly talks about tongues being the least of the gifts but that is very different to saying it does not exist. The context of 1Cor 14 is clearly prophecy as Paul taks about prophets at several points

13. mioque

mioque New Member

7-Kids
    "This all sound good and all but can you show me this from Gods word."
    "
    You are talking to the wrong expert here. My field is history not theology.

"where do you get it from?"
    "
    After 35 years of listening to sermons and reading numerous Christian books who knows? To be honest, except for the annoyance factor of people who have no sense of history I have no real position in the whole Dispensationalism vs. Covenant Theology debate.