1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Most underrated Bible translation?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by alexander284, Dec 18, 2005.

?
  1. English Standard Version (ESV)

76.8%
  2. Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

7.1%
  3. Today's New International Version (TNIV)

14.3%
  4. New Living Translation (NLT)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The Message [paraphrase]

1.8%
  6. God's Word Translation (GWT)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which of the following Bible translations, is the most underrated?

2. Keith M

Keith M New Member

I think the HCSB is the most underrated version listed in the poll.

The TNIV I personally consider a mistranslation due to it's "politically correct" handling of the gender references often used by the original writers.

The NLT I do not consider a viable Bible version due to its links with Taylor's Living Bible.

The Message is merely a paraphrase and I have never considered any of them as truly viable Bibie versions.

These thoughts are just my own opinion. They are not intended to be inflammatory or to start some big argument over the merits or the shortcomings of certain versions. [​IMG]

3. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

Keith, I agree with all of your assessments. I really love the HCSB. In fact, I'm struggling right now about which bible to use for personal daily use. I really like the HCSB but don't want to give up my familiarities with the text, notes and helps of my NKJV Study Bible.

4. dale kesterson

dale kesterson New Member

I have often found the HCSB rather clumsy and awkward reading and, though the translation is okay,it is still basically inferior to the NIV. For my daily reading and study, I stick to the ESV.

5. Tony kelly

Tony kelly New Member

I really like the HCSB and have been using it for a coulple of years along with the ESV for Study .

6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "None of the above."

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Probably ESV, with Dr. Cassidy's answer coming in a close second [​IMG]

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Holman seems to be linked to the SBC, so normal Baptists have little exposure to it. [​IMG]

ESV is better than I expected.

9. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Does this mean that Southern Baptists aren't normal, Dr. Bob? :D :confused: :cool:

10. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Are normal Baptists normal?

11. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

'Normal Baptists' hahahahaha LOL. Good joke, Dr. Bob. [​IMG] :rolleyes: [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I think it is interesting that the TNIV is not getting much attention. I guess political correctness does not belong in the translation room. I am quite suprised they went ahead and published it.

Of course, there are probably a lot of liberal churches (non-Baptist OF COURSE!) who are purchasing them by the truck-load.

This is a case where a really poor translation is probably going to become a mainstream translation. [​IMG]

13. nate

nate New Member

HCSB, ESV are both underrated and I agree with Dr. Bob the ESV is a really sound translation.On the other hand wasn't to thrilled with the comment about the SBC.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Im curious, do you have examples? The only places I can find gener-neutral references are places where the the source texts are also gender neutral, but often translated "men/man" (such as the word "anthropos" being translated "men", though it means "people" in general).

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Im curious, do you have examples? The only places I can find gener-neutral references are places where the the source texts are also gender neutral, but often translated "men/man" (such as the word "anthropos" being translated "men", though it means "people" in general). </font>[/QUOTE]JohnV, I've wondered about this, too. I am not automatically against translating terms such as you mention as "people" instead of "men" but it seems there are issues beyond this with the TNIV.

This lists some of what may be inaccuracies of the TNIV:
    http://www.genderneutralbibles.com/category.php

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

While I agreed with what Dr. Bob said, I think I agreed more with TCassidy:

The choices were not meaningful to me.

17. Tony kelly

Tony kelly New Member

There was a one of the translators of the ESV on our local christian talk radio show the other day .People were calling in asking about some versions .
    I called in and asked him his thoughts on the HCSB .He got all excited and said it was a fantastic translation he went on and on about how good it is .I thought it was funny you would have thought he was connected to the HCSB instead of the ESV .
    I told him I liked his the ESV to .

18. 4risen1

4risen1 New Member

I believe the ESV is a wonderful translation that has not received the attention it deserves. I do feel that people are starting to see what an absolute treasure this translation is though... one that is able to meld literal & flow into an extremely readible and accurate bible version.

19. dale kesterson

dale kesterson New Member

One thing I appreciate about the publisher of ESV is their willingess to distribute the translation at no cost. I was surprised when I found it on E-Sword for free and then HCSB followed suit (seems like they took it back off). ESV also permitted others free Bible software programs to use their translation without cost. Recently Palm Bible+ asked them if they could distribute the translation freely and they were given quick permission. I believe they have 6 different formats for the ESV now. OliveTree also freely distributes ESV for their Palm software. During the hurricane disasters they distributed ten thousand free Bibles to victims. Obviously they cannot compete with the SBC publishinghouse, but it seems they are more interested in getting the Word out than making or saving a quick buck.

20. nate

nate New Member

So what are you saying? None of those translations are good?

On the other hand I believe another excellent translation that is underrated would be the ISV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.