1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Most underrated Bible translation?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by alexander284, Dec 18, 2005.

?
  1. English Standard Version (ESV)

76.8%
  2. Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

7.1%
  3. Today's New International Version (TNIV)

14.3%
  4. New Living Translation (NLT)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The Message [paraphrase]

1.8%
  6. God's Word Translation (GWT)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am saying exactly what I said. None of the above translations is the most underrated bible translation.

2. nate

nate New Member

So what version in your opinion is the most underrated?

3. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably the ASV or LITV. The ASV went out of print after only one printing. The LITV is an excellent translation but has been virtually ignored, and, if not self-published by Jay Green, would have passed from the scene without being noticed.

4. nate

nate New Member

I would agree the ASV is underrated but it's extremely difficult to read. That said I know it's one of the most accurate translations. It is still published by one company can't recall their name but I own one of their copies and it's well done. I'll post the link later.

5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have an original 1901 from Thomas Nelson.

6. Keith M

Keith M New Member

TCassidy it is obvious you are a little misinformed on this. I have a Thomas Nelson edition of the ASV. I purchased it brand spankin' new back in the 80s. Although it doesn't give a printing date, it was new when I bought it. On the title page it says "Printed in the United States of America." Although your statement is somewhat inaccurate, I do agree the ASV is underrated. [​IMG]

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ASV of 1901 went through one printing, by Nelson, from 1901 through 1929. The copyright expired in 1951 and was never renewed due to lack of interest.

The only significant post-1929 printing of the ASV was done by the Jehovah's Witnesses, who received a license to start printing the ASV in 1944, and continued to print it though 1963. In that time they printed slightly under 900,000 copies available only through the Watchtower and Tract Society.

A small mail order bookseller in Texas known as Star Bible is now the only publisher of the ASV but that is limited to a few hundred copies per year.

The good news is that the ASV was used as the foundation for the World English Bible now available on the internet.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

ASV is also available on esword.

9. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Strange...

How do you account for the fact that I bought a brand new Nelson ASV Bible sometime in the 80s? It was not 50+ years old when I bought it, so at some point Nelson must have done some later printings. Either the version went through a later printing or someone "bootlegged" the Bible and put the Nelson name on the spine along with a catalog number. I can get the catalog number after i get home. [​IMG]

10. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I agree on the ASV, if one ever heard Alva J. McClain preach from it, it just came alive.

11. nate

nate New Member

12. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that is the group. They started printing the ASV the same year the JWs stopped. [​IMG]

14. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

dale, are you accusing the SBC of trying to turn a profit from the HCSB?

I have to say I am starting to agree with your previous statement about the ESV. I've been reading since I got the e-Sword module and am thinking of getting a hardcopy for myself. [​IMG]

15. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I've been an ESV user for about 5 years now...started when i was in seminary at SBTS and a lot of the profs were making the switch as a result of Dr. Mohler's influence.
    I've now started using it as my primary teaching Bible on Sunday mornings and night.

in HIS grip
    bobbyd

16. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

Here's my dilemma: I asked for (and believe got) a NASB Open Bible for Christmas. I'm all but completely sold on the ESV. The wife unit ain't gonn alike me taking one of her gifts back. Any ideas?

17. nate

nate New Member

I got a paperback ESV for 10.99 at Borders.

18. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can get the pew Bible for $15.99 plus shipping or the thinline for $19.99 plus shipping.

19. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

Not that I'm of great means, but I can afford to buy a bible if I want. What I was referring to was probably directed more to those men here who are married. After all my pumping up how much I would love to have the NASB open bible, my beloved may chase me around with a frying pan if I decide to use anything but what I practically begged her for. If y'all have a wife like mine, what she buys you means something so you better like it or else! (She's not normally real bad but she's just entered the 3rd trimester and is getting "large" and moody.) Get my drift?

20. BruceB

BruceB New Member

DeadMan, you have my condolences - good luck with that third trimester (ever notice how nine months just flies by when it is a friend's wife, but how it takes forever when it is your wife?)! You could just quietly add an ESV Bible to your reading shelf and make lots of hoops and hollers when you read your gift Bible from your wife - but be real quiet when you read your ESV!
    Bruce (all tongue in cheek!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.