1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mother Mary??

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by David.Mathews, Mar 14, 2004.

1. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

It means that Mary's body was assumed into Heaven.

2. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

But which, of all the recorded departures, is there no record of death? Elijah and Elisha. Unless you believe that they were divine beings, you are compelled to believe they were men just like you and I. Therefore since it is appointed unto man once to die, then the judgment. And since scripture does not identify the "two witnesses", it is proper to arrive at the conclusion that the two witnesses are Elijah and Elisha, as God is no respecter of man. Therefore they too must die from the flesh or make God a liar!

3. trying2understand

Yelsew2, what are your beliefs concerning a pretribulation rapture? Will those who are caught up in the rapture die first?

4. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

It means that Mary's body was assumed into Heaven. </font>[/QUOTE]Since we have no records of the deaths and burials of women, you would conclude that Mary was bodily taken into heaven? Has that ever in recorded history happened to man other then Elijah and Elisha? There is no eye-witness reports that state that Mary ascended "alive in the flesh" into heaven, and we have no record of the Chosen apostles doing the same, so what makes you think that Mary merits such treatement when God's other chosen vessels are not likewise ascended into heaven?

What a foolish doctrine!

5. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

Yelsew2, what are your beliefs concerning a pretribulation rapture? Will those who are caught up in the rapture die first? </font>[/QUOTE]I'll answer with questions,

Can corrupt human flesh enter heaven?

Can you cite examples of the actual flesh of humans entering a domain of "Spirits". "God is spirit and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth."

Why are the graves of all the departed saints still occupied with their fleshly remains?

6. trying2understand

I'd rather not have to guess at your beliefs.

Do you believe in the pretrib secret rapture?

If so, do they die first?

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Doesn't say that he will be killed in the street.

Reading into Scripture again, DHK?
    </font>[/QUOTE]I quoted a verse without giving any commentary. I guess you are the one who's reading into Scripture.

8. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Hmm...I wasn't doing such a thing. Please go back and read all my posts. I am dealing with calling Mary the mother of God, and I was asking Bob some questions. I see you have no problem calling her the mother of the Christ.

By the way, I am not Catholic and I am not defending their position. I see a knee jerk response in the opposite direction that bothers me. Next thing you know we will start denying the Trinity because Catholics have something to do with it!

In Christ,
    Neal

9. trying2understand

Sorry, DHK. I figured that you were offering a verse within the context of the conversation of the thread.

I didn't know that you were just throwing out random verses for no reason.

My bad. [​IMG]

10. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

Catholics have nothing to do with the Trinity! Scripture declares there is a trinity, or Triune Godhead. See the Baptism of Jesus! Tell me how many elements of God are revealed to man in that scene...which took place before the church was formed! It is not a Catholic invention!

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Sorry, DHK. I figured that you were offering a verse within the context of the conversation of the thread.

I didn't know that you were just throwing out random verses for no reason.

My bad. [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]I was offering a verse within the context of the conversation, but I prefer giving my own explanation of the verse rather than relying on a Catholic's interpretation of one that is not given.
    --Talk about reading into something.

Malachi 4:5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD:

The promise of God is that He will send Elijah. When will he send Elijah? He will send him before "the great and dreadful day of the LORD. The sense is just before that time, not 2,000 years or longer. What is "the great and dreadful day of the Lord?" It is that day when Jesus comes again. It will be a glorious day for both the saints of God and for the nation of Israel; but it will be a great and dreadful day for all unbelievers on the earth as is described in the Book of Revelation. In fact they will try to hide from the Lamb that sits on the throne. There will be no place of hiding for them.

Revelation 19:19-20 And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army.
    20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Elijah will appear before that time described in Revelation 19. The only place that I can think of is Revelation 11.
    DHK

12. trying2understand

That's great, DHK. How does it fit into the context of the thread? Assumption? All men are appointed to die?

13. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

What does it matter? I won't be left behind! Paul speaks of those living in the flesh at that time who are believers will "be changed" in the twinkling of an eye. That may mean that the bodies of flesh get left behind and the spirits go directly to heaven. So technically speaking, the spirit departs the flesh and the flesh which is now without its lifeforce dies. What a mess of Carci the will be. It will take 3 1/3 years to clean up the mess. Paul also said "to be absent from the body is to be present with the LORD! So who cares whether or not the flesh dies?

14. trying2understand

Why do you assume that "be changed in the twinkle of an eye" means that bodies of flesh get left behind?

Did Jesus leave His body of flesh when He was transfigured on the mount?

15. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Yelsew,

Please show me where I said such a thing. You need to chill out a bit, my friend. Bottom line is you did attribute something to me that I was not defending and then you turn around and do the same thing here.

In Christ,
    Neal

P.S. Wasn't it a Catholic who first summarized the doctrine of the Trinity? Even though you say it is clear (which I agree with), there are those who do not (and did not in the early church) believe so. There is no mention of the word "trinity," which was my point. I believe it was first a Catholic who put that forth (if I am not mistaken).

16. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

Why do you assume that "be changed in the twinkle of an eye" means that bodies of flesh get left behind?

Did Jesus leave His body of flesh when He was transfigured on the mount?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Good question? I wasn't there and don't know. The evidence says that Jesus arose bodily from the grave, and that some 40 days later He ascended into heaven. In that 40 days he made appearances to his disciples and other believers, some 500 eye witnesses by most estimations. There were however periods of time when no one saw him, and he was not with his flock. So all we have to go by is what is recorded. It remains a mystery as to what form of body Jesus had when He ascended.

For the two on the road to emmaeus (sp) he was with them then suddenly disappeared. Flesh does not do that...at least to all available knowledge we have.

17. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is a mistake to assume that not other attributes are available for physical bodies other than the ones in this sinful state.

In Christ,

Bob

19. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

Thanks BoB,

That is a wonderful scripture that explains a whole lot.

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Happy to post it!