1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Brice, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Brice

Brice New Member

Anybody here ride? If so what do you ride? If not what do you wish you could ride?

2. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I ride a 1984 Yamaha Virago XV1000.

I haven't ridden since. . . .last night. [​IMG]

I am the Motorcycle and Traffic Safety Officer with my command in the Navy and am very active in promoting motorcycle safety.

I tried to upload a picture of my motorcyle, but couldn't shrink it to less than 150k.

3. Brother Ian

4. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I've ridden the same scooter for 17 years. One that my daugther and I built. A 1969 Triumph T120R with a bolt on hardtail rearend and stock front end. No mufflers, loud bikes save lives! ;)

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Gov. Schwarzenegger rides.... right into a car pulling out of a driveway. Thankfully, no one was seriously hurt.

6. Brice

Brice New Member

You should get him a helmet and take her for a cruise. [​IMG]

7. Brice

Brice New Member

Gov. Schwarzenegger rides.... right into a car pulling out of a driveway. Thankfully, no one was seriously hurt. </font>[/QUOTE]Yes he does and not legally as you may have heard. [​IMG]

8. Brice

Brice New Member

That actually sounds like fun, how long did it take to build?

9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I traded a rowboat and a muzzle loading rifle I built from a kit for the bike, well, three large portions of a bike. The carbs are Amals from the "59" triumph I owned when I got the "69", so my best guess is they were made in 1958 and are still going strong. I rebuild them every couple years. I still run the old points and coil, hey it's cheap and works if you don't mind checking it once a week or so.

It took two years just to gather enough parts and get it to run, then due to a faulty piston pin retainer clip (fancy C clip) I had to replace the cylinders, pistons and rings after a summer of riding. I gave it a blue laquer paint job a front fender (I ride in cow country) and new cables about eight years ago but it's never finished, something can always be altered or replaced for a different look feel. It weighs 368 pounds dry and with the stock front end takes to the hilly curves real nice around here.

And it gathers crowds. Which is nice for me because I like to talk alot. [​IMG]

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not really. Motorcycles with sidecars are generally permitted in CA to be driven with persons who possess a class c (regular automobile) license. The problem is that this isn't a written law, but it's been a custom that's been observed by law enforcement for as long as I can remember (citing that the operations of a cycle with a sidecar is similar enough an auto, and dissimilar to a bike. Trust me, I had a neighbor who had a cycle with a sidecar, who used to take me widing in my high school days.

If they ticketed the Governator, they'd have to ticket several thousand other bikers in the state. Even if it were illegal, it's an infraction which requires the offense to be observed by law enforcement in order to ticket. Since it was ot observed by a law enforcement officer, no ticket can be given.

11. JamesJ

JamesJ New Member

I ride a 1982 Honda Silverwing GL500 Interstate. The best $750 I ever spent!! 200 miles on 4 gallons of gasoline.

12. Brother Ian

Studies found that 80% of all motorcycle accidents occur from the sides of the motorcycle forward indicating that loud pipes saving lives is an unfounded myth. . . .but they sure sound good. All the sound of loud pipes is at the back of the bike. Very few accidents occur from the rear end.

A more troubling statistic is that 96% of all riders have had no formal training and 50% are not licensed.

13. Brice

Brice New Member

Not really. Motorcycles with sidecars are generally permitted in CA to be driven with persons who possess a class c (regular automobile) license. The problem is that this isn't a written law, but it's been a custom that's been observed by law enforcement for as long as I can remember (citing that the operations of a cycle with a sidecar is similar enough an auto, and dissimilar to a bike. Trust me, I had a neighbor who had a cycle with a sidecar, who used to take me widing in my high school days.

If they ticketed the Governator, they'd have to ticket several thousand other bikers in the state. Even if it were illegal, it's an infraction which requires the offense to be observed by law enforcement in order to ticket. Since it was ot observed by a law enforcement officer, no ticket can be given.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I stand corrected... I was referring to intial reports that hinted towards him riding several times without a side car in past instances (with state trooper detail)... Thanks for the info John, next time I will be more careful to quote correctly.. God bless.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The Governator holds a motorcycle license that's currently expired, and has ridden in the past legally. I'm sure it's possible that since his licence expired, he's probably ridden around his neighborhood from time to time. Hey, who can blame him? If I had a Harly, I don't think I could resist the occaisional clandestine spin around the block. [​IMG]

15. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. WHYME

WHYME New Member

My! How cultures have changed. I can recall when motorcycliest and persons with tatoos were look on as less desireable company and certainly out of the main stream. Tatoo were limited to sailors,and that was usually an anchor or "MOM" scrolled on the arm somewhere.

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I wish I had my Kawasaki 750 (H2) triple back! Scary bike!!

18. Brice

Brice New Member

The way they make bikes now.. 600 is scary, much less 750.. [​IMG]

19. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

This photo is from a few years back:

[​IMG]

I haven't been able to ride since I had a severe injury that has limited my ability to even walk. The injury was incurred while simply walking. High speed is safe; walking is dangerous!

20. Brice

Brice New Member

Nice.. Which one are you? What make?