1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mourning the Loss of an Image-Bearer

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by jaigner, May 2, 2011.

1. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Bin Laden did horrific things, that's for sure. He was also made in God's image and ascribed great worth by virtue of Christ's death on the cross. His life was as valuable as any of ours.

We can debate whether this needed to be done, but celebrating his death is unconscionable, as I see it.

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am pleased that a measure of justice has been served, but I am rather indifferent to his death.

The best metaphor I can come up with is the satisfaction of finally catching a destructive rat in the trap that I've been baiting for years, but there is no joy in his death.

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Thousands of people die every day around the globe either through natural causes or by violent means. Why are you mourning Bin Laden's death? Are you in mourning for the person who just died one second ago? How about the one dying now - are you mourning his death?

4. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

My sentiments exactly.

I think to actually mourn the death of a Bin Laden is more sick and twisted than those who are cheering his death.

5. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I would mourn the same for the others who die violent deaths. That doesn't make me sick and twisted. The way people are carrying on, it's as if he was sub-human. That is fundamentally skewed thinking.

6. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

So we only mourn people who die violent deaths? You didn't answer my question. Why are you mourning his death, and not the myriad deaths listed in your local paper's obits?

Again, I think you are the one with the deeper problem to actually mourn his death. Mourning the deceased is reserved for people who are close to us, or people who did not deserve to die (like the 3,000 on 9/11), or maybe a respected head of state. Let Bin Laden's family mourn him. For you to do so is just an attempt at false humility.

7. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Agree. I'm glad to hear justice has been served, and hope its not a political ploy by the Obama administration. But I'm not taking to the streets either.

For the OP to even post this thread is disturbing. But a look at past threads puts things in perspective.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=68669&highlight=laden

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. This is just pseudopiety.

9. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't celebrate his death as much as I celebrate that justice has been done.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not see where Jai is mourning his death - rather he is asking why are we celebrating his death.
    Personally, I am relieved at his passing, insomuch that others will not be victims of his ruthlessness.

I was thinking about this today - in spite of what we think of Bin Laden or politics in general - did anyone ever pray for his salvation?

Matt 5:13-14
    Ye have heard that it hath been said Thou shalt love thy neighborur and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you and pray for them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you and persecute you.

#10 Salty, May 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2011
  11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The righteous shall rejoice when he seeth the vengeance: he shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked. Ps 58:10

When it goeth well with the righteous, the city rejoiceth: and when the wicked perish, there is shouting. Prov 11:10

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

Well said.

Of course...strictly speaking, bin Laden isn't an enemy. And he doesn't persecute us. Dead folks don't meet the criteria.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It should be noted that Aaron quoted the OT, and Salty the NT
    I would agree that we need to strike a proper balance.

Now shall we pray for Bin Laden's # 2 man?

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Righteousness doesn't change, and since it is a proper characteristic of righteousness to rejoice when he sees the blood of the innocent avenged, I would be the last to dampen their spirits.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's less of a threat to America than Obama and the Democrats. O for the opportunity to rejoice again.

16. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Really? Christ willingly suffered the cross so that people as bad as bin Laden could wear his righteousness. That is the ultimate act of service. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that picture.

17. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fixed it for you.

You can cry all you want for Bin Laden. Make sure you keep it up while you are at it to feel sorry for Hitler, Pol Pot, and Stalin.

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jaigner, I guess you and I are buddies now:1_grouphug:

19. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I know what I said. Christ died for the worst of sinners.

20. mandym

mandym New Member

I believe the judgment that has come to Bin laden should give everyone serious pause. While we have not acted in the exact same way we all deserve the same judgment minus the cross. Except by the grace of God there go I.