1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MSNBC article: Do you believe in Hell?

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by JamieinNH, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

2. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

Thank you for that link. I voted. I believe there is a hell and I wouldn't attend a church that didn't believe in hell.

3. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Hell is real, and while it may be central to Ted Haggard's religion, it's Jesus Who is central to Christianity.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hell is real, it should be preached, and that episcapalion fake will spend eternity in the pit of it.

5. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I'd rather not condemn anyone to Hell, without the benefit of omniscience. Not criticizing anyone who does, of course.

I doubt if God sends people to Hell for honestly doubting that it exists.

And if it turns out that we are honestly mistaken in our belief that it exists, He won't take umbrage at that, either.

#5 The Galatian, Aug 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2006
  6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Spong's lack of belief in hell pales next to his other beliefs, such as denying the virgin birth and the bodily resurrection of Christ.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

These points are directly from Spong from the same link as above (I left some out for space)

Many believe Spong is apostate.

8. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I suppose those who think "once saved, always saved", would by definition, think apostates are saved.

9. Snitzelhoff

Snitzelhoff New Member

Well, the other perspective that OSAS folks typically take is apostates were never truly saved to begin with.

Michael

10. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Then by definition, they can't be apostates.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Actually, an apostate is someone who never "stood with us" as in Hebrews. They proclaimed the faith but were not really saved. I've known many people like this. They appear to be a believer, they may even be a preacher or missionary, but then fall away and deny the essentials of the faith.

Jesus talks about the wheat and the tares -- tares look just like wheat. And Jesus said we could not separate them, that it would his angels to do that in the end. So I think apostates are just tares that made themselves visible by visibly walking away from the faith.

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly:thumbs:

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I don't believe God sends anyone to hell. I believe if one goes to hell they go on their own. The invitation to heaven is there, they just have to believe to receive.

I sure hope there's a hell or the keys I have are not necessary for the kingdom... :laugh: :laugh:

14. standingfirminChrist

Jesus Himself said there is a hell. That's good enough reason to believe there is a hell.

If one says there is no hell, yet says they believe in Christ, are they believing a false christ? Because the true Christ said there was a hell and warned of it's flame and torment.

15. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

It isn't man who condemns to hell--God is the Judge.

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. (John 3:18)

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. (John 3:36)

God does NOT send anybody to hell!! God did not prepare hell for man:

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: (Matthew 25:41)

Man CHOOSES, by his own free will, to trust Christ or reject Him.
    There IS a "literal" hell whether one believes in it or not. God's Word says there is a "literal" hell--God does not lie!

16. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Barbarian observes:
    I'd rather not condemn anyone to Hell, without the benefit of omniscience. Not criticizing anyone who does, of course.

I doubt if God posts here under an assumed name.

Barbarian oberves:
    I doubt if God sends people to Hell for honestly doubting that it exists.

So if a man accepts Christ as his savior, but doesn't believe that Jesus meant a literal Hell, he's still saved?

17. His Blood Spoke My Name

Galatian,

Who is this Barbarian that you are quoting? I do not see any posts in here by him.

18. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

A person who trusts in Christ as Saviour WILL believe ALL that Jesus Christ taught--including a "literal" hell. No exceptions--unless you believe in "another Jesus". The Jesus Christ of the Bible taught a "literal" hell.

If there is no "literal" hell, from what are you being saved????????

#18 Linda64, Aug 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2006
  19. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I know there's a hell, I'm asking a question.

Suppose a man puts his trust in Jesus but is wrong about the existence of Hell. Since Jesus tells us in Matthew what is necessary to be saved, and doesn't mention a belief in Hell, should we presume to add it to the list?

I don't think so.

Show me something in Scripture or tradition that says so. I'm not asking for vague references to accepting His word. I'm asking for specific support for your specific claim. What do you have?

#19 The Galatian, Aug 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2006
  20. His Blood Spoke My Name

How can one say that one believes in Jesus if one does not believe in the hell that Jesus warned against?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.