1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Music at your church?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Apr 20, 2009.

1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wow -- you guys ought to write a book or something. You may the only one in America.

Seriously, music can be a difficult issue -- generational and cultural issues play a huge part (forget the theology issue -- that part is easy). For example, I recently played a clip for my son that someone else had called "rock." I asked my son about the genre. He simply shrugged his shoulders and said, "that's Christian."

Different things work in different places. (Duh.) What works in the deep south with an older congregation probably will not work here or in southern California. It's not that one is better than the other. They're just different.

BTW, what I prefer is still the best.

2. anniebug

anniebug New Member

The church I attend, sporadically, has three services:
    8 a.m. - traditional hymns with piano and organ, with an ensemble of older choir members instead of the choir, worship lead by Minister of Music
    9:30 - contemporary - praise band with drums, electric and acoustic guitars, piano and keyboard, brass and woodwinds as needed. Lead guitar/singer of band leads the worship. all P&W choruses.
    11:00 - blended hymns and choruses, led by Minister of Worship along with choir.

I prefer to go to the early service for several reasons....I was raised on the hymns, and I'm an early riser...why not go to early meeting and praise God with the rising of the sun?

I went to an Anglican church when I lived in Little Rock, AR. I went to their traditional service for the solemnity of the liturgy. When I first started going, however, when the Minister discovered I was raised Baptist, he said "Oh, you'll love our "Family SErvice"!" This was mainly P&W with a band...which I was trying to get away from at the time. LOL. I ended up in that service, and loved it, despite my earlier disdain for P&W.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

Some people mistakenly think that prayer and love for one another is important. Hogwash. The most important thing is to put Xanax in the coffee. It's not that we love each other...we just don't give a rip.

:eek: :D

(what will be fun is to watch this get quoted later. I will deny all statements, and will attribute my temporary insanity to Dr. Bob's nefarious mind-ray)

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

We are pretty much stick to traditional styles, though our hymnal does have some updated lyrics.
    We also do have a chorus book and as far as instrumentation, most weeks it is very traditional with just piano and organ, though when there is time to practice, sometimes on sunday evening there is also a bass and guitar.

The two elders that preach regularly are father and son and they have some preference to traditional/contemporary respectively but we all sing everything.
    We are united in doctrine and we do not make an issue out of musical style as far as I have seen.

But then we are for the most part pretty traditional.

5. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Good idea. Perhaps we should try this.