1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Music at your church

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Jun 18, 2009.

?
  1. A live worship band

13 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. Live Piano and/or organ

19 vote(s)
    82.6%
  3. Live orchestra

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  4. Sound tracks as accompaniment

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  5. Original recordings (singer/s are basically singing with the CD)

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  6. No accompaniment

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Other (please list)

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

During congregational and "special" music, which of the following does your church engage?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We have a worship band for the worship and then for special music, it can be anything from a backing track to acapella or someone playing along. This week's "special music" (song done during offering) is the band playing and singing.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are blessed with an abundance of talented musicians in our congregation, so we strenuously avoid the use of "canned" music if at all possible. In my 14 years in the congregation, I think I have heard pre-recorded accompaniment tracks used only twice -- both times when we had a person from a member's out-of-town extended family sing before our congregation that didn't know we could have provided live accompaniment with only a few hours notice.

After many years of personal, live music, pre-recorded music sounds very shallow and strange in worship... like someone playing a tape of someone praying in front of a congregation so we can pray along with them.

I'm not trying to knock those who use accompaniment tracks, but I think they are overused in many situations. I would prefer to hear someone sing a song acapella rather than use a track. In my opinion, the recorded music masks the humanity of the moment.

4. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. Not a big fan of canned music. I would much, much rather hear live music.

5. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We have two worship services each Sunday morning, both with the same sermon. The music & corresponding instruments are very different.

The earlier service is a more traditional, liturgical service. This service contains historic hymns accompanied by the organ and a robed choir. The later service has a more contemporary style. The worship music is led by both the choir and worship team, and is accompanied by various instruments -- guitars, pianos, drums, etc., even a violin. On special occasions (Christmas, Easter, concerts, etc.), we will have a full orchestra -- but not every Sunday.

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

bump it up...................