1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Music Evangelism

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by nate, Oct 17, 2005.

1. nate

nate New Member

Is music a biblical way to reach the unsaved. Is it right to use modern styles (Chr. Rock, Chr. Rap, and Pop music.) Is it effective? Any opinions.

2. nate

nate New Member

I believe there is nothing in the Bible that says we cannot reach the lost with the Gospel through music. It is definetly effective many times one can reach those who would never enter a church with the more extreme styles of music. Although I listen to Christian Rock I sometimes question some of the bands willingness to compromise and 'water-down' their lyrics.I have started getting into Christian Rap of late and am impressed by their no nonsense take no prisoners attitude. They are saved and love Christ and won't dance around the fact. Cross Movement Records is a great example. Christian Rap has been successful at reaching the inner-city youth who feel Church is boring. Creation Fests have also won thousands to Christ. IMHO I feel it is an excellent way to reach the lost.

Nate
    1cross+3nails=4given

3. Brice

Brice New Member

I have no problem with this as long as it stays within christian parameters. Music can be used to glorify God and in my life it gives me personal strength. I see no reason why this can't happen to other people, including non-christians. I think it's a great way to bring people into Church or Church activities. [​IMG]

4. Brice

Brice New Member

To answer both questions. Yes it can be right and yes it can be effective.

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My grandmother was brought under conviction and saved through the old hymn, "Just As I Am." However, usually the music just gets them there. It is the preaching or the counselor dealing personally with the lost person that wins the lost. The music can only win someone to Christ if it gives the Gospel and frankly, very few songs of any style clearly give the Gospel!

Here in Japan, believe it or not, the old hymns are unique enough to the average lost Japanese that they are entertaining! There is even a current boom in black-style Gospel music (hymns, spirituals, etc.) in the secular world.

"Christian rap?" Sorry, I'm the wrong generation for that. I barely consider it music! :D

6. nate

nate New Member

Understand. It certainly isn't singing(rap). I would agree that the music should include Gospel portion not pertaining to the music. I've seen it used to draw people to church that wouldn't normally consider going. But see your point that very few people listen to a song and accept Christ directly because of that.

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

It is an over-rated, inefficient, ineffective, and expensive method of evangelism.

And did you want me to opine on this?

8. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Yes it can plant seeds if nothing else! I've seen it happen. I say go for it.

9. IFBChristian

IFBChristian New Member

Romans 12:2 "And be not conformed to this world:....."

10. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

In that case, was the church sinning back in the 1700 and 1800 when most of our hymns were written...some of them using drinking tunes?

Or does that just count for today's modern styles?

11. IFBChristian

IFBChristian New Member

SInce the bible was written over 2000 years ago, I believe it to count for all things.

12. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Ive gotta say, too, just being a "drinking tune" is not enough to rule it out as "good" music.

WHERE a song is sung is not a very good criterion for determining whether its good or not. People can get drunk to "I walked in the Garden Alone", that doesn't mean that its a bad tune.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

What is the book of Psalms? A book of lyrics intended to be set to music. Yes, music is a perfectly acceptible method in reaching the lost.
    Is is right? Scripture is completely silent on the topic of genre. However, past church history suggests that using the genre of the day was not only permitted, but often employed. If it were wrong, you'd think churches in the mast 1900+ years would have refrained, but they didn't. This arguement seems to be a contemporary one, in fact.

Is it effective? There are many churches that use contemporary music in one form or another, and those churches are abundant with saved persons. So I'd have to say yes, it's effective to at least some extent.
    So why was it okay for Baroque, Classical, Negro Spiritual, and American Folk era musicians to conform their music to the music of the day? Your position is nothing short of a double standard (it was okay then, but not now).
    Good point, since the tune to the Star-Spangled Banner is an English drinking song.

What if it's a love tune? The tune for "O Sacred Head Now Wounded" is a love song called "Confused Are All My Feelings".

The words were:

"Confused are all my feelings;
    A tender maid's the cause.
    Bewilderment comes o'er me,
    Pain at my heartstrings gnaws.
    By day, by night, I rest not,
    At all times much lament.
    I sigh and weep forever,
    With grief and sorrow spent."

14. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Ive got a relatively strict viewpoint on music. But where the tune came from is not really a part of what I take into account.....unless that particular tune is SO popular and well-known by the masses that any word changes are overcome by what words people are expecting to hear. Did that make sense?

But we look at the balance between melody, harmony, and rhythm to determine if its good music.

That being said, I think musical nights could be a good way to have people come in and hear a message. But it needs to be paired with actual preaching. To me just having the music might be a nice time, but it wouldn't be evangelism until someone gets up and preaches.