1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Music ministry in Utah

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by behindzioncurtain, Jun 24, 2005.

1. behindzioncurtain

behindzioncurtain New Member

I am new to the board, and I wanted to quickly introduce my self since this is my first post.

I am Ryan, born again in 1999 after a hard struggle in life. Jesus came into my life and healed me.

Since then I have went to several different churches/religions, and I feel best in the fellowship of Baptists.

I was raised LDS in Utah, and Utah is where I currently live.

So this is my question, or comment.

When I first came back to Utah from Washington, I started going to a Southern Baptist church in SLC called "Summit".. The church was started as a campus crusade, and then started producing more fruit by opening a coffee shop not far from the LDS temple. They were there during the winter Olympics, and for about 1 year after words, before they closed their doors.

The church service was great, they had a band that the pastor played bass for called "Last Day".
    My 16 year old brother died, and I invited them to play for the LDS ward that the services were held in and it broke everyone's heart. It was beautiful. They played "1 day in his court" which really sunk in with my LDS family.

But now I go to an independent baptist church much further south than SLC.
    The church services are not joyful, it is a lot of meat, but no honey.
    The pastor refused my offer to sponsor a worship ministry in the church, saying that his values forbid it.

I remind him of how Solomon praised the Lord in Psalms 150. But he says that people will only come for the music if they lower their standards and get a music ministry in.

My concern is that Utah has the highest teen suicide rate, and doubles the national average of anti-depressant usage.

How does that relate to a music ministry?

It all comes down to the honey. The people that need spiritual healing the most, are avoiding the pangs of a pastor telling them about damnation and tithing because with all of the salt and meat, there is no honey.

I dedicated a website to the issue of suicide and depression in Utah. I won't share it here, unless I am given the go-ahead by the management.

But my heart cries for this problem in Utah.

I wonder if there is any way that we could sponsor a music ministry outside the bounds of the religion? Have a good baptist music ministry come to Utah?

I can sponsor most the monthly expenses. It may take a few more monthly sponsors to help out too.
    But I would love to talk someone with the gifts of music.

Sincerely,
    Ryan

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church is in the business of salvation and training, not entertaining and this is why many do not use contemporary music. You speak of honey, thus I assume you want to draw the lost to the church - not really the proper method. The church is where we bring new converts to be trained.

The people should be winning the lost in the everyday world, not bringing them into the church to be won.

Just because something (music) makes us feel good, does not mean it is correct. Booze makes us feel good :)

You asked if it could be done outside the bounds of religion - assume you mean the church. You can do anything you want to do, but the church is the method the Lord set up for us to operate in.

Many do work outside the church but again, that doesn't make it right.

Take a lot of time to spend in the Word and prayer about what you might be able to accomplish in this area, let the Lord direct you in it.

You might look on the internet and see what sort of ministries are available. I would contact pastors in the area where these ministries function and see what results they are having in the area of evangelism.

Honey will naturally attract, but does it produce fruit, that is the question.

3. behindzioncurtain

You mentioned another subject that is contreversal.
    "Booze"...
    Just two scriptures, New Testiment and Old testiment doctrine.

Deuteronomy 14:25-27
    Colossians 2:16

All of this little mynute traditions seem to turn in to a giant lot of salt.

In personal experience on my father's farm, I am aware that just enough salt can make a field produce, and too much salt can scorche a field and that field will not produce..

I don't mean to get into a theological debate over this. Im just expressing my beliefs since the subject is in question.

All I was really looking for is a music ministry to sponsor in Utah.

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, if "All I was really looking for is a music ministry to sponsor in Utah." why not say "All I was really looking for is a music ministry to sponsor in Utah." and be done with it.

I was not opening a discussion on "booze" nor do your verses negate what I said.

"I don't mean to get into a theological debate over this. Im just expressing my beliefs since the subject is in question."

An off handed comment maketh not a "theological debate."

5. behindzioncurtain

Take it as it is. I did not mean for it to be a theological debate either way.

6. behindzioncurtain

BTW- I mentioned that I had a website. If it is not allowed to post links to website's, then I won't contest anyone removing it.

But here it is: http://www.behindzioncurtain.com

It is not a for profit site, I make no money from it, no banner ads, nothing to sell.

I use this website to address the problem in Utah with suicide and depression.

7. behindzioncurtain

8. behindzioncurtain

You speak of honey, thus I assume you want to draw the lost to the church - not really the proper method.
    -------------------------------------

When you assume this, it is not the case. I have brought many to church where there is no music ministry except for the pastor singing hymns out of key.

No one ever wants to come back.

The draw is, that these people are looking for salvation. The negative is, that they never want to get more aquainted with it after they get ran off by a loud pastor preaching damnation and tithe, and then singing aweful renditions of old hymns..

It makes me not even want to go back, and I have been saved since 1999. I am still very evangelistic, and I try to let Jesus lead my life in every way.

But church is not joyful. Rejoicing in that environment is painful.

I just don't think that too much salt is every a good thing.

9. behindzioncurtain

Update

I haven't been to this site since I posted this thread about a Music Ministry in Utah.

As an update, almost 3.5 years later.

I got aquianted with several churches in Utah before leaving. Praise the Lord for several Bible Churches flourishing in Utah, exspecially Utah county right now.

The three churches that I knew of that neglected music ministry, closed up shop and moved back to the Bible belt.