1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Music (oh man its about to go down)

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Gorship, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Keep It Simple!!!

(See the highlighted words above).......Aaron...brother...my wife would skin you alive for using them highdollar, high-falutin' words like those highlighted above!:laugh: Don't you know that most of these here folks were schooled in government schools and don't know them thar types of words?

That said...WHAT on earth is a dithyramb? No kidding man....in all my 58 years (and I believe I have an above average vocabulary) I have NEVER heard that word...much less know what it means. Is it Greek or something (since you say Paul knew it)? Translate please. Thank you.

Bro.Greg:saint:

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So to explain my struggle a little bit.

I listen to probably the more extreme edge of metal. However, I agree to a large extent all of the things that a IFB church would agree on.

Then I get to the music issue, and they quote drug addicts whos lyrics in their music are completely vile.. but that is not limited to rock/metal music... Opera singers have drinking problems, lets just be real here.

So is music a preference issue in the IFB church or would i technically not be an IFB.

4. 12strings

12strings Active Member

1. If you are a member of and IFB church, then you are one. especially if you agree with local church autonomy and Baptist doctrine, you are Independent and Baptist...Now, in my own opinion, the term fundamentalist as a positive term refering to a Christian or group of Christians has outlived its usefulness (see here: http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=87052)

2. If you listen to Metal music, you are probably in the minority of IFBers, or at least those who admit to it.

3. It is not just a preference issue, as many IFB would argue that there are musical elements that make it actually sinful. I don't think their arguments hold water, but they believe them nonetheless. I would say hard rock music has value: Recognizing artistic talent in the artists, boosting energy when working out or doing some housework, releasing stress hormones by "rocking out."

4. I would say it's less important to figure out if you fit with IFB or not, and more important to come to a settled conviction about music based on solid biblical truth...and that you not hold your musical desires as a sacred cow that you are unwilling to give up if it benifits another Christian.

5. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Appreciate the response sir :thumbsup:

"at least one who admits it" I laughed at that... is there closet Baptist Metal Heads out there!?!? :tear:

6. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Alrighty then.....

OK...I'll stick to the real stuff that God likes....let the pagans have the dithyrambs!
    :eek:

Bro.Greg:saint: