1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Muslim sues O.C. over right to wear head scarf

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by moondg, Sep 6, 2007.

1. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

[COLOR=#333333! important]Deputies asked the woman to remove her head covering while in custody in O.C.[/color]
    [COLOR=#999999! important]By H.G. Reza, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    September 5, 2007 [/color]
    A Muslim whose religious practice requires that she cover her head in public sued the Orange County Sheriff's Department on Tuesday, alleging her rights were violated when jail officials forced her to remove a head scarf while locked up for about eight hours.

Souhair Khatib filed suit in U.S. District Court in Santa Ana, alleging that her right to practice her religion had been violated, causing her "extreme mental and emotional distress." Named in the complaint, filed by the American Civil Liberties Union Foundation of Southern California, were Sheriff Michael S. Carona, the captain in charge of courtroom deputies and Orange County.

Khatib, 32, of Anaheim, said she filed the lawsuit to make other Muslim women in the U.S. aware of their right to religious freedom. Many Islamic women cover their heads and necks with scarves, known as hijabs, while in public as mandated by the Koran.

A Muslim who in public wears a burka, a head-to-toe covering, sued the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles for requiring her to show her face for a driver's license. The case was dismissed.

California DMV spokeswoman Jan Mendoza said Muslims are allowed to be photographed while wearing a head covering as long as their faces are shown.

Wearing the hijab "is an obligation," and being without it is embarrassing because a woman's head and neck are exposed to strange men in the courtroom and male deputies in jail, Khatib said.

"They humiliated me. We have the right to [wear] our scarves," she said.

According to the suit, not wearing a scarf is a "serious breach of faith." Khatib said she did not wear one while living in her native Lebanon but ended the "sin" of not covering up seven years ago, after arriving in the United States.

She is a U.S. citizen.

Khatib and her husband, Amro, were convicted of welfare fraud last year and sentenced to three years' probation and 30 days of community service.

The judge who took their guilty plea last year gave them about 120 days to complete the community service. The Khatibs returned to court Nov. 1, two days before the deadline, to ask for an extension.

Souhair Khatib said that when Superior Court Judge Douglas Hatchimonji learned that she had completed only 15 hours of service and her husband four, he ordered them jailed.

ACLU attorney Hector Villagra said jail officials ordered Khatib's hijab removed because they said it could be used to choke someone.

But Villagra said a woman in the holding cell with Khatib was wearing fishnet stockings that were not confiscated and could have also been used as a weapon.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages and requests that Orange County Jail officials allow the use of religious head coverings.
    http://www.latimes.com/features/rel...,1,3045922.story?track=rss&ctrack=2&cset=true

Things like this really upset me.

#1 moondg, Sep 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2007
  2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Make sure your comments are not in the quote.

But, I agree with you, things like this are upsetting.

Welfare fraud. Not completing their obligations to the community as ordered by a lawful court. And her rights are violated ?

Gimme a break !!

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Would this upset you just as much if it were, oh, say a conservative Baptist woman who didn't wish to remove her headcovering?

Don't get me wrong, her welfare fraud deserves punishment, but is the scarf really an issue? I am not sure one way or the other.

4. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

Yes it is if they had let her keep it and she killed herself or someone else with it the jail would have been held responsible. If you can't do the time don't do the crime.

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, sir, MP, my dear brother.
    It would upset me if it were a conservative Baptist woman who refused to remove her head covering if this was in the behavioral context of this Muslim woman.
    She was simply being arrogant, that's all. It is not because she is a deeply devout Muslim, which if she were she would not have committed welfare fraud, unless there is truth to the statements of some that to the Islam religion, the unbeliever, the infidel, is fair game.

You can lie to the infidel, Allah will honor you.
    You can kill the infidel, Allah will honor you.
    You can steal from, and rob, the infidel, you are a good Muslim, Allah will honor you.
    You can abuse the infidel's hospitality, violate his laws, Allah will honor you.

But never let the infidel do any of those things to you, a Muslim.
    They have no right at all.

In essence, that is what I have heard many say.