1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mussels are People Too

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Aaron, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you heard of the water shortage in GA?

Despite the famine-scale shortage the Army Corps of Engineers keeps draining the reservoir to save some "endangered" mussels.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-10-28-georgia_N.htm

2. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

Good to see our priorities are in the right place.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

Two things the story does not say, but should (a corresponding CNN story also made this mistake):

Said mussels (as well as two other species found in the area) are important water purifiers.

http://www.fws.gov/news/mussels.html
    http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0710/20/cnr.06.html (this was edited out of some later stories).

Two other points:
    • Alabama is another player in this "water war." The arguments are more about infrastructure (we have a nuclear and hydro plant in danger of going off line due to low water), and drinkable/potable water (Alexander City, one of AL's "lake towns," is bringing in barges just to increase the water level so it can be pumped.
    • There are some Republicans in FL that have been quoted as saying that they are using all arguments they can--including the environmental ones--to convince the feds to keep the water flowing. Essentially they are "playing the game" of politics--appealing to what might appeal to the more liberal DC crowd to get what they want. (I'll keep looking for this quote & post it). Do I agree with that method? Don't think so...but I think they're not trying to be "environmental wackos" as much as playing the game to get what they want.
    One main issue: Atlanta has grown immensely...much more so than other Southeastern cities (especially downstream from them). Their water needs are unbelievable. Not to mention that their leaders waited too long to declare water restrictions (they did so long after AL and FL areas did). There is debate among the AL and GA governors as to exactly how much water reserves Lake Lanier and other GA reservoirs have. GA claims a few weeks; AL says several months. Who knows? I don't.

One thing we need to be doing, that few are suggesting: PRAY FOR RAIN!!!!

I'm not into politics, but I "know Someone" that's pretty influential in weather matters.

Suggestion: Ya'll pray for rain in the Southeast. I just did. Thanks!

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Irrelevent. When it comes down to who has the rights to the drinking water, people win, mussels lose.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Not necessarily. As in most fights, it often comes down to who has bigger mussels.

:D

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Groooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooan!

7. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wouldn't bet on it.