1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Must a member of a Baptist church ....

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ktn4eg, Jan 22, 2014.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

.... agree with that church's pastor on every single one of that church's pastor's interpretations of every single verse in the Bible?

If not, exactly how many of that church's pastor's interpretations may that church's member disagree with that church's pastor and still be considered a "member in good standing" of that Baptist church?

(Note: The reason why I'm asking this question is that I've heard of some Baptist churches whose pastor INSIST that EVERY member MUST agree with that pastor on ABSOLUTELY EVERY THING that the pastor preaches/teaches or that member will be EXCLUDED from that church for believing HERESY!!!!)

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that they must generally agree to the statement of faith or belief (confession…what ever) of the particular church. I don’t know that disagreeing would negate being a “member in good standing” (especially if they tithe :smilewinkgrin:).

3. Archie the Preacher

Not noted as such

Not in my experience. [Hysterical laughter which slowly subsides...] You may have noted - if you observe closely - I am in some measure non-traditional in some facets of belief.

Nor am I aware of any such church with such a pastor. It is not - sadly - past the realm of possibility, I suppose. I've met more than a few Christians and even pastors who were rather overwhelmed with themselves.

It strikes me as a self-solving problem. Were I to visit a church with the intention of finding a 'church home' AND I disagreed with the pastor on 'several' points of belief, I would simply move on to a more likely church.

4. thisnumbersdisconnected

No. [Joining Archie in slowly subsiding hysterical laughter]

I don't agree with my pastor on everything. But I agree with him on enough things -- most of what he teaches, in fact, that I wouldn't consider changing churches.
    Must be IFB churches. [Hysterical laughter returning]

5. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The worst offenders and the most offensive that I ever served and were part of the congregations of were SBC.

If the pastor disagreed on some minor non-doctrinal issue, he would work behind the pasty smile to undermine and actually misrepresent - sort of like some on the BB do in the Cal/Arm forum.

It was like any disagreement (over non-doctrinal issues) was a threat and "sowing discord among the brethren."

I have not met a single IFB pastor (excluding the Norris/Hyles types) that not only was not offensive or offended, but actually desired to engage in healthy discussion on non-doctrinal issues.

6. thisnumbersdisconnected

To the contrary of your experience, I've been a member of four SBC churches and visited, ministered to/in, or otherwise had good knowledge of their doctrines and staff, and have met only one SBC pastor out of dozens if not hundreds who insisted that his interpretations and only his interpretations were right, true and correct. And that one guy was essentially a heretic and thief. Literally. On the other hand ...
    ... I've never met an IFB pastor who wasn't offensive, arrogant, obnoxious, and wrong. Sorry. That's just my experience.