1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Must-Visit places in Dallas, Houston

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Joman, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Joman

Joman New Member

Hello,

I want apologize if i'm posting in the wrong forum. But i want some advice about must-visit places in Dallas and Houston since i'm going to be there for 10 days.

Good places to eat? Interesting places to visit? Parks? (I found that sixflags will be closed when i go there)

I'm 29 y/o.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A friend of mine has been to the World Trade Center in Dallas and said it is a place to go.

Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary is in Fort Worth.

Firts Baptist Church, Dallas http://www.firstdallas.org/ and Prestonwood Baptist Church are in Dallas http://www.prestonwood.org/

3. Dina

Dina New Member

Depends on what you are looking for. I lived in the Dallas area for 4 years.

Downtown, and West End is the historical area. There is the book depository, and the Grassy Knoll. The Ball is also a place to go as well. Deep Ellum is/was the Party Hard area.

There is a restaurant in Los Colinas that the Cowboys eat at, umm, trying to remember the actual name....Humperdinks. Used to be, you go in there and run into Troy Aikman.

The Mustangs of Los Colinasis cool to see.

In the Greenville Lane area there are alot of "outdoor-indoor" places to eat. That is the hangout in the summmer for the stars, as well as the Galeria Mall.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-191502014-dallas_vacations-i;_ylt=AgJcuwViHAoO.ZiQWn53n.O.FmoL

Hope this helps. If you have any questions let me know.

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Dallas: West End/Deep Ellum. Baseball, if the season is open. (Arlington). The ball restaurant on the skyline. The malls.

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Deep Ellum is not the place to be hanging out when the Lord comes back. Your welcome to come visit us at church though. www.kingdombaptist.org

6. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

If I were you I would head over to Ft Worth and hang out in Sundance Square - great restaurants, nice place to walk around and look. YOu can also head up to the stockyards, and the museums. My personal favorite is the Amon Carter - lots of Russells and Remmingtons etc. There is an Omni theater over there, check out what they are playing - it is always an experience.

7. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Are you a golfer? There are some fantastic courses around. My current favorite is the Tribute - it is modeled after some of the most famous 18 holes of Scottish golf. Number one and 18 are number one and eighteen at St Andrews - same dimensions contours, bunkers etc. The seventeeth hole is the road hole at St Andrews. This course is similar to the tour 18 courses, but uses the scottish. For disounts you can go to golfq.com

8. Joman

Joman New Member

is Arlington close to dallas downtown? My Hotel in Dallas is on 35E stemmons fwy.

In houston i don't know yet where i'm going to be. What's a good zone in Houston to stay?

I don't know to play Golf [​IMG] By the way, what's the address of the museum where President Kennedy was shoot?

9. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Arlington is right between Dallas and Fort Worth, about 20 minutes from downtown dallas if there is no traffic.

10. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

If you're in the Plano area (generally speaking, the NW part of Dallas), and wish to visit one of the most unique churches in that area, my suggestion is to try Prestonwood Baptist Church:

http://www.prestonwood.org

11. Joman

Joman New Member

Thats the BIGGG church!?!? It will be a big shock for me...i'm used to 40 members churches :D

But im sure it will be an interesting experience [​IMG]

12. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know what dates you're expecting to be in those places, but for a unique musical experience try the Sacred Harp singing at:

First Primitive Baptist Church, 1920 Gross Rd., Dallas, Texas, 1 - 3 p.m. on Saturday February 19th

or

Choral Recital Hall, Moores School of Music, University of Houston, Entrance 16 off Cullen Blvd, Houston, Texas, 3 - 5 p.m. on Sunday February 20th

Contact information can be found on this page:
    http://singings.texasfasola.org/monthlysingings.html

13. Joman

Joman New Member

I'll be there! I'm arriving on Feb 18th.

14. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Well, since no one else seems to want to help you out with stuff in Houston [​IMG] , and since I've lived here my whole life, I suppose I could let you in on a few secrets.

Here is a website you can view to find all you want.

Houston Guide

For attractions, my personal favorites are:

The Battleship Texas, a WWI and WWII vessel (1912-1948), Flagship of the US Atlantic Naval Fleet(1940), 1st ship to have RADAR(1939), 1st battleship to launch an aircraft(1919), 1st battleship to have anti-aircraft guns and 1st to use directors and range-keepers(early computers) to control gunfire(1916), and the place where foundation of 1st Marine Division occured(1941). It was at one time the most powerful weapon in the world. Needless to say, it is very historical and is a National Historical Landmark.

The San Jacinto Monument, marking the place where Sam Houston led Texas troops to victory over a larger Mexican Army, in only 18 minutes and with only 9 Texans killed, is in the Guinness Book of Records as being, at 570 feet, the tallest monument column in the world, and is actually 15 feet taller than the Washington Monument.

If you enjoy history, I would also tour the historic mansions in downtown Houston around Allen's Landing, where the Allen Bros. who founded Houston landed in 1836 on Buffalo Bayou. The area is home to numerous mid 19th century, restored, buildings. The area is also called Old Market Square.

NASA's Johnson Space Center is a must-see. It is home to mission control for NASA, the reason that the first word spoken on the moon was "Houston".

Just take a look at that link I posted above and you're bound to find many interesting sights, restaurants, etc.

You might also go by the Compaq Center, former home of the Houston Rockets, which is being remodeled for Lakewood Church. It's going to be huge.

We have the famous Astrodome, which is right next to Reliant Stadium, home of the Texans, and the first football stadium with a retractable roof.

Downtown Houston has the former Enron Field, now Minute Maid Park, also with a retractable roof, where the Astros play, as well as the new Toyota Center, home of the Rockets.

There are many interesting things to see and do here.

Hope you enjoy your trip. [​IMG]

15. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Since you are not in Dallas according to your stats, this is not directed at you, ok?

I went to the link, I took the "virtual tour" and all I can say is...
    I never saw anything like it in my life!
    It is no great surprise how Christians in other parts of the world can look at we American Christians and note how wasteful we are with our resources. I was completely aghast! The money that place reeks of is staggering! Why? Why? WHY? WHY? Why do these people in this church waste their money so flagrantly when there are millions, nay BILLIONS! going to a devil's hell everyday?
    I mean, c'mon! A restaurant in the church building? A fountain out in front that is at least as big as an Olympic swimming pool?
    Mahogany wood work and Gold gilded furnishings?

Well. :rolleyes: They HAVE their reward I guess.

Just so this doesn't get all fouled up with debate, I'll start a thread to address this. I REALLY would like to see what other's think of this kind of thing, and how prevalent it is in other cities. [​IMG]

In HIS service;
    Jim

16. Joman

Joman New Member

Great post! I just print it [​IMG]

17. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I forgot to mention, if you do go to the San Jacinto Battleground, both the San Jac Monuments and the Battleship Texas are there, so you can do both in one outing. They are maybe 1/2 to 1 mile apart. The Texas sits in the Houston Ship Channel too, and the Port of Houston is also right there, which also offers tours, so you can see many things at once.

If you're over that way, I would suggest eating at the Monument Inn Restaurant. They have absolutely wonderful steaks, seafood, etc, and have unlimited boiled shrimp, which my Pastor loves.

Other restaurants that I love are Perry's Steakhouse, on Bay Area Blvd. in La Porte (the have famous "7-finger porkchops, which are 7-fingers thick and absolutely wonderful), and/or A Taste of Texas, which is about the best Steakhouse I've ever been to in my life. A suggestion, don't go at peak hours to either place as you will have to wait for a table, but it's well worth it, imo.

Where will you be staying?

I would usually suggest Six Flags Astoworld, but they don't open until March 4th.

Also, I forgot to mention that we do have the Houston Zoo, and Museum complexes with IMAX, butterfly sanctuary, etc, etc, etc.

I haven't been to a number of these places in years, and most have undergone big renovations in the past few years. It's amazing that you can live somewhere and take for granted all of the sights that are in your own city.

I would suggest looking into the many tours that are offered for different areas of town and different historical places and attractions.

So many things to see, so little time.

Also, if I could make a little plug here, if you're going to be here on a Sunday, please come and be with us at our church.

The 20th we'll probably be visiting Grace Primitive Baptist Church, 3610 Hurley St., Houston, 77093, because another church uses the building that we do on 3rd Sundays. On the 27th we'll be back at our regular building at 1306 Cordell St., Houston, 77009. Both churches are on the north part of town, Grace off 59-N and ours off 45-N. We'd be glad to have you if you're not off having fun somewhere or in :rolleyes: Dallas :rolleyes: by then. (In case you didn't know, Houston and Dallas are kind of rivals.)

Again, have a safe and fun trip.

18. Joman

Joman New Member

Seems Houston is better than dallas [​IMG]

19. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Of course Houston is better than Dallas! After all, it's named for somebody from Tennessee! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Joman

Joman New Member

I want to know how many hours driving are these trips:

1. Dallas --> Houston
    2. Houston --> San Antonio
    3. San Antonio --> Dallas