1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Must we be calvinists?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 12strings, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting article Jerome. One thing sticks out in my mind, The writer goes on and on about the ills of his church, spiritual, financial, general mismanagement and so forth.

Then to wrap up the diagnosis section, he writes: "After much prayer and analysis, I concluded that the basic need of the people of the church was a solid doctrinal foundation. North Pompano Baptist, like many others, had absolutely no doctrinal foundation. The people were doctrinally illiterate, and by the time I got there, the superficial superstructure that remained was falling apart."

The writer (I have no idea who he is, maybe I should?) presents himself as "Mr. Problem Solver" but shouldn't he have at least, if nothing else known the doctrinal position and health of the church before (not after) accepting the call? He makes it sound (to me at least) that the church had no statement of faith and that this caught him off guard.

2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't you think he will do that the moment he tells anyone what he believes?
    Seems to me it would be difficult to hide for long.
    For me it would prove that he's a liar and could not be trusted, because a "No" answer would not be true. Though I've never met a Calvinist I was afraid of. They have come to our church all are welcome of course, but not all are welcome to try preaching there beliefs when they are different than ours. This would not be tolerated.
    The answer would still be no
    I believe you are confused. Foreknowledge does not determine that men will be saved whether or not they want to be. God is all knowing but we aren't we still have to make the decision.
    He doesn't have to however if Calvinism is what he believes it will be given to him at sometime in his life.

The Calvinist here refer to me as Arminian though I do not agree with Arminianism. I tell them that but it makes no difference to them they don't care so why should I?.
    MB

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originally Posted by 12strings View Post
    4. What if the man is full-on 7 pointer, double-predestination, supralapsarian, covenant theology...but does not baptize babies...and does not believe Calvin to be a good role model...must HE take the title calvinist?

No.... not unless he walks lock step with John Calvin should he take that as a Title.

If however his allegiance is to Christ as his Lord & Savior,,,,,then he should consider himself a Christian, period.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ITL.......I would asked you this in response & I'd like your answer, " Does any man or woman have access to the Lamb's Book of Life?"

5. 12strings

12strings Active Member

So are you saying that if someone asked if you were an arminian, you could truthfully say no because you disagree with arminians on some points...but if someone asked me if I were a calvinist, I would be a liar and not to be trusted if I said no, though I disagree with Calvinism on some points?

Or are you saying that BECAUSE calvinists will not let you out of being called arminian, that you will not let those who agree with Calvin on election out of being called calvinist?

I understand this, I was merely trying to say that one (me) could think that the individual Election before creation fits scripture better than either the corporate election view, or the view that God elected based on foreseen faith.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

This is why this is wrong. There are a THOUSAND different beliefs and philosophies ensconced under the umbrella of the SBC.

Should a man have to come to a pulpit committee and say, "WAIT! Before we go another step! You need to know that I don't believe the Pope is the anti-Christ!"

No.

That's silly.

If the church cares the church will ask. Then the pastoral candidate should answer honestly.

The fact of the matter is that the official position of the SBC is NOT non-cal. So there is no reason to identify oneself as Calvinist unless asked.

That is not even CLOSE to being deceptive.

The SBC is WIDE OPEN to Calvinism. It used to be largely a Calvinist movement (not exclusively, but largely).

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Truth.:wavey:

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If this is indeed true, what then is the problem? :confused:

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

What blatant hypocrisy!

This from someone who JUST got corrected by a moderator for calling someone a JACKASS.

I love these super-spiritual, "look how enlightened and warmly Christian I am" people!

Full of absolute bull.

You, and I don't mean JUST you- I mean most of the guys who do this lecturing us crud, are only warm when it suits you.

You just use these "lectures" as rungs of a ladder that you climb so that you can claim the spiritual high ground.

It is self-righteous, self-aggrandizing, empty rhetoric.

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The only problem comes from those who are determined to purge the denomination of a theological system it has warmly embraced since 1845!

Calvinists are NOT the problem.

"Non-cals" determined to keep power are CLEARLY the problem.

11. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I'm glad you brought up lutherans...Since many of those who hold to DoG might actually say they think Luther's views on soteriology are formulated a bit better... could we not say we are Lutherans? If not, why not...One might say, well, we don't believe in consubtantiation, we don't baptize babies, we put the pulpit in the middle...but in soteriology...we are lutherans!

And yet, because of those differences...if anyone asks any "calvinist" Baptist if he is a lutheran, they don't expect a "yes" answer. And yet if one substitutes out Calvinist for lutheran...we expect that same baptist to readily admit to being a calvinist, or accuse him of being dishonest...even though he may have more in common with lutherans than historic Calvinists.

12. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

You Got THAT Right!

SN, Since your comment was on Page 1 of this thread I will be honest and say that I haven't read all (up to now) 6 pages but I really don't think I need too. When I saw the title of the thread I already had a very short and concise answer in mind. That would simply be...(No)...we just need to be Bible-Believers. YOUR post is EXCELLENT and to it I will only add a hearty AMEN!
    That (No) was my short and concise answer. To expand on that a bit...We are not called to be either Calvinists OR Arminians or ANYTHING other that Bible Believers. If what we embrace cannot be supported, in context, and for the most part from a literal stance, by the Word of God...WITHOUT adding too or taking from the text, then we must reject and turn from it. Bible-Believing Christians are to be people of faith...a narrow yet generous faith founded and grounded upon God's Word...not the ideas of men. Again SN...great post. Now...I'll try to go on and read the rest of the thread...even though I don't expect to be surprised by anything new. The real "Truth" is pretty simple....the problem is that our old fleshly nature will resist it until the grave or the "catching away"...whichever comes first! "Even so,come Lord Jesus"! Soon I hope!

Bro.Greg:saint:

#52 Gregory Perry Sr., Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2013
  13. Winman

Winman Active Member

There is one question that tells you all you need to know;

Which comes first? Faith or Regeneration?

Or, you might ask if a man MUST be regenerated to have the ability to believe?

If a man answers that regeneration precedes faith, or that a person MUST be regenerated to have the ability to believe he is a Calvinist/DoG.

If the man believes faith precedes regeneration or answers that a man must first believe to be regenerated, then he is an Arminian or non-Cal.

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Regeneration preceding faith is consistent with the Baptist Faith and Message- and the Scriptures for that matter.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originally Posted by InTheLight View Post
    Doesn't matter to me as long as they're saved. I don't see the word as having perjorative connotations. Why do Calvinists shy away from the label? Do Lutherans feel queasy being called Lutherans?

Because my allegiance is to Christ..... Not Luther, not Wesley, not the Pope, not Calvin, not Arminius, not Moses, not Puritanism, not Pelagius, not Augustine, etc, etc, etc. :jesus:

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

You sir, are a Calvinist or DoG. An Arminian or non-Cal Baptist would say a person must first believe to have spiritual life.

Jhn 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

The Arminian or non-Cal position is consistent with the word of God. You cannot show a single verse of scripture that supports regeneration before faith.

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes I have showed them to you many times. Your mind must have the ability to drop memories that don't suit you.

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

The difference between you and I is that I actually showed scripture that says "and that believing ye might have life".

You insist over and over you have shown scripture that says regeneration precedes faith, but you ALWAYS fail to actually show this scripture.

Fact is, there is not one verse of scripture that supports your position. It is IMPOSSIBLE for you to show even one verse that says regeneration precedes faith. You can't show it.

19. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Choose Your Label!

If I have to be LABELED then just please keep it simple and call me a Christian or a Bible Believer. By the way.....DOG or "Doctrines of Grace" is simply the latest "buzzword" for Calvinists or those who call themselves "reformed" in their theology. I'll at least say that I RESPECT anyone who will be at least honest enough to identify themselves for what they believe...even when I can't agree with them.

Bro.Greg:saint:

20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

John 6:63-65

1 Corinthians 2:11-14

Ephesians 2:5

Pretty clear to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.