1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Must We Begin with the NT to Understand the OT?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TCGreek, Oct 8, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. At some levels, knowing a little is enough and is a source of great contentment for some, but at another level, knowing more is equally fulfilling, as long as we don't make knowledge an end in itself.

2. For example, the prophets under the OT, knew of the person of the Messiah and His coming, but they YEARNED for the specifics--to know more.

2. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

Great thread, everyone!

History, sin, God, judgment, blessing, justification by faith, salvation through the Messiah, etc., are contained in the OT, even expounded in the OT, just as they are expounded in the NT. Can anyone here think of any important doctrines in the NT that are unsubstantiated in the OT?

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Two NT passages come to mind that shed light for me concerning the importance of the OT

1) Jesus said --- Search the scriptures . . . for they are they which testify of Me

OT scripture is what Jesus had in mind here for the NT had not been written as of then

2) The disciples on the Emeaus road in their confrontation with the risen Lord Jesus made the comment --- Did not our hearts burn within us as He opened unto us the Scriptures?? Clear reference again to the OT which was their ONLY testament

Fellas(and ladies) do you want to get "The heartburn"---- do you want your heart to burn within you----spiritually??? Pour over the OT scripture in search of God's holiness

3) Andrew proclaimed --- We have found Him of whom Moses in the Law and the prophets did write, Jesus of Nazareth ----- his was a scriptural search for Messiah --- his OT search was narrowed down to one man, Jesus of Nazareth

The OT tells us that Messiah is coming --- the NT reveals His name

I believe that the Lord God Jehovah would have us to "loose ourselves" in both!!!!

4. skypair

skypair Active Member

PL, my thinking is that, no, they didn't understand much beyond a coming Messiah/King who would take away sin. 1Cor 2:7-10, etal.

I particularly like Paul's way of describing the Jews as in "darkness" whereas we are of the "light," 1Thes 5:4-5.

I like swaimj's way of discovering in the NT what the words and promises of God in the OT meant.

skypair

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Paul is not contrasting Jews and Gentiles. Rather, he is contrasting the saved and the unsaved, Light and Darkness (2 Cor 6:14ff).

2. But those OT folk must have understood what was written to them, or what is the point?