1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My Brother's keeper?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by gerald285, Jan 27, 2007.

?
  1. I am constantly aware of my responsibility to be modest and strive to be so

15 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. I know I should be, but I choose to dress comfrontable instead of modest

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. I like the attention and anothers thought do not concern me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. As long as I am not purposely trying to temp my clothing or actions should not be an issue

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

My brother's keeper. How far does this go? In the area of modesty how far does this go. Are to we take all precautions or just a few or none at all?. What constitutes modesty and why should we be responsible for anothers eyes and thoughts?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

another thread, another poll about modesty. doesn't brothers keeper mean more then clothes? good grief, you are certaily hung up on clothing and nudity. maybe your the one with the problem.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

comfortable instead of modest? modest can't be comfortable? why not? why not just ask people if their comfortable in their clothes, if they say yes, then you know they are dressed immodestly.

4. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

donnA,

I was going to answer but you pretty much summed it all up, in both of your posts. :thumbs:

5. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Modest clothing is more comfortable and less binding than immodest clothing.

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps in Illinois, but in the southern U.S. it gets very hot and humid.

Of course that all depends on what you mean by "modest" and "immodest", so your mileage may vary.

And of course fixation on clothing styles makes no difference in the heart since lusting takes place in the imagination, and luster's imagination is not limited to what they can see or cannot see. In societies where women are dressed in burkas, men lust after women based on the glimpses of their eyes or fleeting glimpses of their ankles.

One can certainly be religious, dress in an exceptionally modest fashion, and not know God. In the same way, you can dress appropriately and be completely and totally in the center of God's will for your life (and be continously used in the power of the Spirit), yet persons who are consumed by lust will lust after you.

Certainly people need to dress appropriately for each occasion, but in my opinion, most of these discussions amount to simple legalism... where people are working about the outside of the dish instead of the inside, and men (and women) are seeking someone other than themselves to blame for their sinful decisions to lust after others.

7. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I believe that "dress modestly" refers more to NOT dressing to entice others or to show off your wealth. People with money love to show off their wealth by dressing in expensive clothes with lots of expensive jewelry. That is not dressing modestly. That is dressing to draw attention to themselves and to get compliments. The wealthy love the praise of people, but then who doesn't? However, I rarely wear a suit to church. I dress simply. To me that's what dressing modestly means.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

thank you, from what scriptue says, you may just have posted the most reasonable thought on modest dress I have read so far.

9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

You mean that when I wear nice clothes and jewelry to church that I am dressing immodestly? I don't own any expensive jewelry, but I'm not sure if anyone knows that or not...

So a man is dressing immodestly when he wears a suit to church???

10. Karen

Karen Active Member

I don't think that's always true.

I know some wealthy people who wear very old clothes.
    I know some people of very moderate income who dress well because they know how to shop at consignment shops and put it together.

I have some jewelry, from Avon, for example, that from afar could look expensive. I wear it for fun, not to persuade people that I am rich.