1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My Child wants to see a Disney Movie.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Pastor Ezequiel Davis, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I know there is no way to completely screen someone before they join, but lately, there is a rampant number of new members that come in from post one with no intent but to stir the pot, not debate. There is no doubt in my mind that some of these are the same person, because even a banned person can reappear with a new name. I have no idea why someone would want to spend the time and effort.

I believe it was mentioned above, but anyone who would write the phrase "I pray I go to heaven" is clueless to the Bible and the Gospel.

Oh, and if that is your real picture, I would strongly suggest you not point that finger in someone's face in real life.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a difference between being a Guy on fire for the lord & a Nut. Me thinks u dere!:BangHead:

3. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Pastor Davis,

While many here are mocking and reviling you for your stand, and some merely disagreeing, it is well within your authority as a parent to withhold from your children worldly entertainments.

And I think your wish and desire to explain it to them is applaudable.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is correct. Every parent has the right and authority to raise their children as they see fit. As long as warped ideas like that stay within a family or behind the doors of any given church, that is fine by me.

I raised my children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. They were disciplined, but not provoked. They were taught to love the Lord, pray, and read their Bible. They never missed a service. They grew up healthy individuals, and one is already starting a Christian family.

Now, what I did not do is make up a list of Disney movies with insane interpretations and ban them from watching them. I did not let them watch things like MTV, South Park, and the Simpsons, etc.

I think what we have here is a total lack of common sense as a parent. As parents, we are charged with raising our children, not to be of the world, but as long as they live, they will live in the world. Lots of mean people are out there, and everyone you pass is not Pat Boone, Sandra Dee, or Donnie Osmond.

Parents with this kind of mindset IMO do a great disservice to their children, by not teaching them the whole picture.

5. ReformedBaptist

I am sure you would not count yourself a perfect parent. None of us are. I do not myself take the stand the brother in this post does. I have prefered to reject the more profane, and teach discernment to my children in order for them to themselves discern the wickedness in disney movies and cartoons.

Others feel it prefectly fine to have their children educated by the state. I believe it morally and biblically wrong to do so. Let each parent judge as best as they can under God how they ought to bring up their children in the fear and admonition of the Lord.

6. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Where did he say this?

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good post.

I predict there is a high probability these children will reach a point, either in the mid to late teens or early twenties when they will rebel and it will not be pretty.

We had a young college student live with us one year who grew up in a very fundamental family. She had a deep faith in Jesus ... but finally rebelled against the extreme strictness her parents had imposed. It was not a pretty sight, but it was the only way this student felt that they could begin to live an independent life. All children have to find a way to begin to live their own independent life. Coming from a home with a dictator, even a loving, well meaning dictator often leaves them will little choice but rebelling. Usually as time passes these young people will return to a more acceptable lifestyle, unless they have so totally messed up their life there is no return. I hope this does not happen here, or to anyone. But being too strict brings makes this rebellion a real possibility.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You got that right. I made lots of mistakes. The two biggest were (even though they were junkers under $3000) was buying a car for each when they were seniors in high school. Another mistake I made was paying for all the college myself for two kids. It should have been split up in some fashion. However, they both did graduate with Bachelor's Degrees. Anything further will be their dime.

I cannot tell you as a parent why I chose to let them watch Disney movies, but not MTV, South Park, and the like. Other things as teens included strict times to be home at night, knowing who they were with and where they were going, and no back talk. When their friends were over, they were never allowed to shut their doors. It is not like they watched lots of movies, as school, sports, church, and other activities took up lots of their time.

I am sure you are doing a great job with your kids. Your posts always sound very reasonable, whether or not I agree. I think lots of the problem is someone starting off post number one is an obviously confrontational tone.

9. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

That story is mine, though thankfully not that extreme. If God wills and I ever have children, I am going to make it a point to use my nos as sparingly as possible. My parents did their best and, to their credit, were only trying to protect me, but it caused a bunch of anxiety/depression issues in my life. It's only been in the past couple of years that I have begun to make peace with it.

We have to interact with culture and we need to prepare children for that.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Thanks for the compliment.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - So the OP has said that his wife took that picture and donated it to iStock Photo but then his brother-in-law went ahead, hacked into the computer, STOLE the picture and ... I guess went ahead and gave it to iStock when they had the photo already just to get the credit for it?

Yet nothing more has been said - he's disappeared?

Anyone want to call Harvest Baptist Church in Fort Dodge to see if they have a youth pastor and who he is? :thumbs:

12. ReformedBaptist

There can be an ungodly fundamentalism that stifles and is damaging to people. We must be careful to avoid this. God has not called Dads to be authoritatians in their homes, but servant leaders. this is something I am learning to grow in.

Let us all learn to wash the feet of those God has made us in authority over, and learn to earn the respect of the same.

13. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

My guess is that whoever answered the phone wouldn't have very good hearing, anyway.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Er, ahhhh, cough.....so BR, what are your views on inerracial marriage?

15. Pastor Ezequiel Davis

Thank you for contributing to the list as I requested. And Reformed Baptist, thank's for kind words of support. It's refreshing to see someone else out there who understands the complex and delicate nature of child rearing.

16. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Look, you don't have the plot of the movie right. You can't preach against something when you don't even know what the movie is about. Sort of makes you look like an idiot. You don't even have to watch the movie. A simple imdb search will tell you what this movie is actually about.

Again, you have no idea what you're talking about. Sleeping Beauty wasn't dead. She was only sleeping. It's why the name of the story helpfully includes the word sleeping. Also, Princess Aurora and and Prince Philip got married immediately, so where's the premarital sex?

??? You don't really have anything of substance to whine about here, so you're just making stuff up.

Pinocchio wasn't an image of God, nor was he an image of a false god, nor did anybody worship him. Your objection is null and void.

Again, it's obvious you don't have a clue what you're preaching against. The so-called ungrateful girl was a slave to her stepmother and stepsisters.

:laugh:

Savages who pre-stole God's country? Do you have any Scripture to back up this completely ludicrous statement?

Disney has the Harry Potter amusement park attraction? Universal Studios would be very surprised to learn this. Don't take my word for it. Look it up for yourself.

If I was in your church and you preached this garbage, I'd walk out and never come back. It's not that you preach against Disney, because I've heard this sort of stuff that Disney is evil before. I didn't believe it the first time I heard it and I don't believe it now.

My objection is that you don't have a clue about what you're preaching against. It's not hard to educate yourself about something, but you think you have all the answers already, so you didn't bother. I will not sit under preaching from a guy who thinks he has all the answers already and won't be bothered to get educated about what he's preaching against.

Sorry, don't believe it for a second. Sounds like the kind of convoluted story (read: lie) one of my kids tried on me.

17. Pastor Ezequiel Davis

You are free to believe as you wish. However when your offspring lie to you it may be time to deliver some Proverbs 13:24, 22:15 and 23:14.

18. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I like your avatar as well. BTW is that bible big enough to choke a donkey? If not you need to get a bigger one or bible bashing won't be what it was.

19. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I doubt very much this individual believes in the mixing of the races. Much like we must avoid mixed bathing. (which for ones not familiar with the phrase means mixed swimming)

20. RAdam

RAdam New Member

If one wants to find something wrong with something, they will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.