1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured My Church Hasn't had Communion for Two and a Half Years!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by InTheLight, Sep 7, 2012.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Suggestion....

....set up a table in front of church, and when folks come out, have blessed grape juice and bread, and offer people the elements and a place to pray in quiet before they take communion, sidewalk style.

Or, invite those concerned to your home for a Bible study, and during the study, offer communion! For the legalists in the crowd, find a pastor to lead the communion service.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unlike many mainline denomination (Episcopal, Methodist, Lutheran) ordination and seminary ( or even Bible college ) are not requirements to be a pastor of a local church. (unless that local church decides that is a requirement)

One question I have is why you have not yet joined the church.
    I agree with the other posters, your church needs to vote itself a local independent congregation. ( you may want to check to see who is listed on the lease for the building).
    Then the church may want to ordain your pastor.

Yes, I would sit down with the pastor and discuss these options.

I believe it great when a church sponsors a new mission - but like a parent - the child must be allowed to go out on their own.

Would be interesting to hear from the pastor of the mother church.

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

What does he mean he doesn't have the authority? Does God say that only certain people can do the Lord's Supper in remembrance of Him?

That's just a very poor excuse. Does he have to get authority to baptize too?

4. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

That is so true.

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Or, if people can book your facility for bridal/baby showers, family re-unions, etc., book it for communion, after worship services. Thus giving the choice of leaving or staying to each person. In this manner, communion would be outside of the "official" duties of your pastor. Thus, even he can partake, if he so desires.

IMO, any servant of our Lord Jesus Christ can serve communion in rememberance of Him.

Also, I believe in Open communion. Each person should be able to participate in Remembering our Lord, as guided by what's in their heart. Whether a vote has or has not been taken, shouldn't determine whether a believer can or cannot participate. Again, IMO, as this is a decision to be made by each independent congregation.

That said, RD, has a good point about finding a pastor, if not finding one would bring about yet more disharmony in the assembly.

InTheLight, it sounds like you have some serious decision making to do after much prayer. To stay or to go. Personally, I'd have a hard time staying at a church that hasn't observed communion for so long. One that is offering excuses for ANY reason for not doing so.

Part of that reasoning is based on how our church handles communion. It is not on a fixed schedule of occurance. That's done so communion doesn't become a ritual, a habit, a going-thru-the motions on certain days. Time lapses between services varies, as does the time/place. Communion may be offered during Wednesday night Bible study, for example. Followed by one a week or month later on Sunday morning in the sanctuary. Even the method varies - go up front to receive or sit in the pews. Focus remains on our Lord and not on traditional ritual. (Hope that makes sense.)

If staying, becoming a member. IMO, as long as you remain a visitor to an assembly, your voice, your opinion matters little. I know it may sound harsh, but you are an outsider looking in, till you change that. Once you become a member, you should become privey to much that may be withheld from visitors on purpose. Finances of the church for example. Once you become a member, your voice should count as much as the person who sits beside you during services.

One more thought in closing. Are you attending a satellite campus or a true church plant? There is a difference. As a satellite, little authority to do anything locally is given, as the home church is in full control, relatively speaking. Requests and approvals must go up and down the chain of command. If I understand correctly, with a plant, the goal of the home church is to break that chain of command as quickly as possible. Since you are speaking of 4 years lapsing, is what makes me wonder.

Just my 2-cents.

& BTW, our service this morning will be communion and baptism of 7.

Praise our Lord!

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. I would not have a private communion service for people that attend this church. I feel that would be undermining the pastor's authority and position.

Oldtimer, you are correct that I am finding it hard to continue attending this church. Not only do I find their rules regarding the Lord's Supper extra Biblical (they are deciding who may partake whereas the Bible says a man ought to examine himself) but I'm seeing hints of other IFB practices that I disagree with, things like KJVO using Gail Riplinger's books as their "proof", judging other ministries as bearing false fruit because they might use CCM, dress standards for members, no pants on ladies!, etc.

So maybe it is time for me to move on.

7. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There have been a lot of red flags raised in the past year or so regarding minor doctrinal issues that I don't agree with. Another reason is the church has no families with teenagers and I have two teens. I want them to be involved in an active youth group. Also, the church is not growing, in fact it is shrinking. I think their outreach techniques are outdated and ineffective--bus ministry anyone?

8. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

From what I have read, I would say that it is far past time. Time's a-wastin'. I hope you find a good church.

9. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had the Lord's Supper today! Hallelujah! It's been about 3 1/2 years.

I am once again attending the church I had been attending several years ago. It is a fairly large church, I'd estimate 1,500 - 2,000 attend the late Sunday morning service. Because of their size they have an efficient method of distributing the elements. Ushers pass out the circular trays with the smallish plastic cups being held in the trays. Rather than pass out the elements separately, they quite ingeniously stack them together. When the tray is passed, each hole in the tray contains two plastic cups stacked one on top of the other. When you lift the cup out of the tray there are actually two cups.The top cup contains the wine (grape juice) and the bottom cup has a small square of unleavened bread.

The pastor leads the congregation in partaking the bread and then immediately after the wine is taken. Afterwards baskets are passed out by the ushers and the empty cups are collected.

It was a great worship experience. God is good!

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sincerely sorry to hear that friend ...better though you should descern this now rather than later. I will pray tonight that the good lord provides something much better
    remember :godisgood:

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Splendid...He is always faithful to his own:thumbs:

12. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

This was posted...

Well, in my opinion that is pure nonsense.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quite agree & now with the end result that people are leaving the church. Why in heavens name, I dont know.