1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My daughter got her first assignment for Old Testament History

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by annsni, Sep 9, 2010.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

She's going to a local Catholic college and I told her to be ready to get her discernment glasses on for the class. I learned in Catholic high school that most of the Old Testament was allegory. ;)

So her first assignment? Read a book of the bible a week for 11 weeks in this order with number of chapters: Ex-40, Gen-50, Lev-27, Deut-34, Hos-14, Jer-52, 1 & 2 Kings-48, 1 & 2 Sam-55, Ps-150, and Judg-21. That is almost 500 chapters in 11 weeks!!!

She asked me if she should read it in the Bible they have for school (New American Bible) or her preferred version (ESV). I told her to go ahead and read it in the ESV or the NIV. I think the NIV might be the easier one to read, though. She's already read through the Bible once but looks like she's going to be reading a lot of the Old Testament this semester!

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Hope she's got a large print bible!

3. billwald

billwald New Member

If it is a Jesuit school she will get a good education.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Bill - I honestly don't know WHAT origin it has. I can't find it on the website and they say they are not a Catholic college - even though they have mass daily, their president is a nun and it's name is Catholic. ;)

5. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Do a search on www.collegeboard.com. This web site gives you a lot of information for each of the colleges and universities in the US.

It probably wouldn't hurt her to read the NAB. She may be less familiar with the language use, which means she might actually read better, if you know what I mean. (Though personally, I too prefer the ESV.)

I'm not sure why they chose those books in that order. That is a bit different. However, the Jewish order of the OT is different than the Christian order.

Happy reading.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

They don't have anything about what kind of Catholic order started the school. I DID find out they only accept 51% of the applicants and my daughter got in at on-sight admissions. :D My good girl!

Maybe. I told her to see if she could even find an audio of the Bible since she has an hour commute each way and that would help her (she's an auditory learner anyway). But I honestly don't think the exact wording really matters much and since there's not THAT much difference between the versions, I figured reading in the ESV or NIV would be fine (although when she's at school, she'll have the NAB with her so she'll read from that too). Hey, she's read the Old Testament three times already so she's ahead of most of the other kids. ;)

Yeah, I thought it was a strange order myself.

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exodus is the logical starting place when liberation theology is being pushed.