1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My dog ate my BAGD!

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Pete Richert, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Then I am correct! Your opinion is based on someone elses opinion, and Not on the Word Of God! Your assumption of what is antichrist or satanic is based on a mans opinion, and not scripture! You base you arguement on mere words of other men!

You have in no way ever read one of these reference books, or know anything about them! You put all your trust in another man!

When my Pastor preaches, teaches, guides, quotes, he says first thing..."Please take your Bibles and turn to...". He means for us to look up what he says. Not just take his word for it!

Specifically show how these books are evil! What makes these books evil? Show me how using reference books to understand Gods Word is wrong. Show me how When comparing the NIV to the KJV is wrong? Show me by scripture how a scripture was changed, to be used in an evil fashion, from any dated KJV, to any other version.

I know...you will ignore me, and pass over me again.

Sherrie

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The KJV is a translation of the Bible. It is the Bible that is the word of God. It just happened to be translated in 1611 by some Anglicans of England. There are many, many translations of the Bible into other languages. That is part of what Wycliffe Bible Translators is all about. No translation is better than the otiginal. The fact is that when you go from one language into another you cannot always translate idioms, etc. very well. Too often those idioms only mean something to a group of people in a particular cutlture. If those words were translated straight across we woiuld have to study about what that idiomatic expression meant to understand its full impact.

3. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Yeah right. :rolleyes:

4. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

I only used that as an example of how the Strongs is. I could have used any scripture. I also said I was not discusing that as a topic, it was just an example. Next time I will try to be a little more complicated for you.

God Bless
    Sherrie

5. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

This is exactly what I do also, I follow him word for word. Here is a question? Can a pastor who uses the NASB and a congregation that has a NIV, NASV, KJB, NKJV, CEV, ASV, etc, etc, etc., follow along word for word with the pastor? How can they know he is telling the truth?
    I hope this answers you, because I would hate to pass you over. Obviously using other material to help you in studying God’s word is not bad. But, if that material contradicts the Bible, it is wrong and evil.

6. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

I don’t just read something and take it at face value. If I can I do a little research with the tools that I have. Most of these men I listed I have met and talked to personally and believe their issue on the King James Bible controversary. BTW, everytime I check what they say, it is right on the money. I’m sorry that you don’t have men of God you can rely on. Also, just curious, has your pastor been wrong in his preaching of the word of God.

7. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

What kind of line is that????? Are you trying to bait me, trick me, what????? You have to come up with a better arguement than that.

Why don't you answer my questions? Show me where you have come up with your anology. Show me the scriptures that say thou shalt read only KJV, and thou shalt not use Hebrew-Greek Lexical aids or references, Dictionaries, etc. Show me your Bible is the original Bible.

Show me how a man who seeks Gods Word by studing, using these aids is antichrist or satanic, or has changed God's Word by doing so.
    Show me scripture that says this is so!

God Bless
    Sherrie

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah right. :rolleyes: </font>[/QUOTE]Note once again what was not said. I didn't say all versions were perfect. I said that the notion was closer to the truth than that only one version was perfect.

People can be led to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ and sanctified to a level greater than anyone I know even with a flawed version. To set KJVOnlyism as a stumblingblock in front of people who really... really cannot understand it destroys any supposed benefit of it being exclusively "perfect."

9. Singleman

Singleman New Member

I know my comments won't make any difference to this debate, but I thought I'd put in my two cents anyway. I usually don't get worked up enough to post, but for what it's worth, I'd like to interject my opinion at this point.

Why do the rest of you bother arguing with KJVOs? Reasoning with them is like reasoning with a member of the Flat Earth Society, or one of those people who think we didn't land on the moon back in 1969. KJVOs will never even entertain the thought that their theories about Bible translation could possibly be wrong. No amount of Scripture, logic, or evidence will change their minds. Moreover, I'm convinced that most of them have no desire at all to engage in a serious discussion of the subject. (I have no one in particular in mind.) They hang out on boards like this one mostly to denounce, condemn, and ridicule those who disagree with them. Even worse, they often assume that those who love the KJV and want it to continue, but who do not use it exclusively, are liars and deceivers. Hard to have a useful exchange with someone who regards you as dishonest, if not demonic, before the debate even begins. It's been my experience that KJVOs love to feel spiritually superior, and almost never do they frame their arguments with anything close to the spirit of 1 Peter 3:15-16. I suppose it is possible that someone with sincere questions about textual/translational matters might wander into this forum and in the process learn how wrong and hurtful KJVOism is. For that reason, some good might come of it. Otherwise, it is simply an endless repetition of the same tired sarcastic putdowns, misleading statements, and holier-that-thou rhetoric that KJVOs revel in. Enough already. How is God glorified by all this?

Sorry for my rant. I'll go away now.

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

No ... I have answered this question many many times. You should be familiar by now that we are talking about faithful translations ...

11. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

YOu think wrong ... While I am not familiar with all of these men, the ones that I am familiar have been demonstrated on many occasion to be liars, and therefore to be false teachers. These men do not know what they are talking about. They need to be exposed as the false teachers that they are. They should be repudiated by everybody that loves God's word. Again, the lies these men have told are not secret. They have been exposed in many places by people from all walks of the theological spectrum, from fundamentalists right on down to liberals. These men are what you get when you put your own personal desires above God's word. It should not be tolerated by you or by anyone else.

12. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

As a pastor who preaches from the NASB, I am qualified ot answer this one ... The answer is "no, not word for word." But that is okay because that is not necessary. What the people here learn is that all faithful translation are God's word.

By learning and comparing it with God's word. This is an area where your pastor has failed you. He has taught you wrongly and you have swallowed hook line and sinker because you did not compare his teaching to that of Scripture. I realize that is strong language but when it comes to destroying people's faith in teh word of God as your pastor has done, it is a serious issue. Your pastor has taught you to attack and malign God's word. And by not carefully comparing his teaching about Scripture with what Scripture teaches about Scripture, you failed to realize he is not telling you the truth.

And this is why you should reject the false teachings of teh KJVO crowd. They contradict the Bible.

13. Forever settled in heaven

u don't mean Dr Sam GiPP, do u?

:eek: :rolleyes:

14. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

[/qb]Would not being able to read word for word make since and benefit that person?
    I’m sorry Pastor Larry, but you are the one destroying peoples faith in the word of God. Basically you say, here is the word of God but in order to understand it you have to study Greek, Hebrew, etc., etc.,
    Funny, we are the only ones believing in God’s perfect word.

15. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

YOu think wrong ... While I am not familiar with all of these men, the ones that I am familiar have been demonstrated on many occasion to be liars, and therefore to be false teachers. These men do not know what they are talking about. They need to be exposed as the false teachers that they are. They should be repudiated by everybody that loves God's word. Again, the lies these men have told are not secret. They have been exposed in many places by people from all walks of the theological spectrum, from fundamentalists right on down to liberals. These men are what you get when you put your own personal desires above God's word. It should not be tolerated by you or by anyone else. </font>[/QUOTE]This is funny too, because these mean expose false teachers like you and the men that you refer to.

16. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

u don't mean Dr Sam GiPP, do u?

:eek: :rolleyes: [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Yes.

17. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

He never said that! You are taking what he said and twisting it!

You babble on and on, but still show no scripture. Yet you list mens name as fallible resources. Odd. You who say Bible reference aids, and other modern translations of the Bible are antichrist and satanic. Very odd.

Sherrie

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMO, one of the greatest evidences against the KJVO position (NOT the KJVP position) and the one which finally turned me against their point of view is the Word of God which is disobeyed by the "elite" of the KJVO...

Jesus Himself saying "by their fruits ye shall know them"

2 Timothy 2
    23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.
    24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
    25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

There are other Scriptures but this one should suffice.

HankD

19. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

HomeBound said:

Would not being able to read word for word make since and benefit that person?

Six-year-old children are capable of hearing one translation of the Bible and following along in another. I did it when I was six; no problem.

In addition, my church is a cosmopolitan city church in which many members speak something other as English as a first language, and frequently they bring along a Bible in their mother tongue to follow while English is read from the platform.

Apparently, KJV-onlyists are afflicted with a strange learning disability that impairs their ability to reconcile the same content, worded differently.

Judging by the quality of your English, though, making "since" doesn't appear to be a real concern of yours anyway . . .

20. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Because as those translators (whom you revere as godly and truthful) said, it is good to use a variety of translations to gain the sense. Carrying a different translation than is being publicly read makes such comparison easy and would no doubt please those truthful and godly translators that you hold in such high esteem. 'Tis a pity you do not believe what they said.

The thing you should be sorry about is that you do not truthfully represent me and what I have said. You, like the men you idolize, must stoop to misrepresentations and mistruths to make your point. I have never destroyed people's faith in God's word. I have never caused confusion by telling someone that a faithful translation is not the word of God but rather is a Satanic, perversion. Your side is the one who has told certain people that the Bible they have in front of them cannot be trusted. It is your side who has destroyed that faith that they have.

You also speak falsely when you say that I believe you must know Greek and Hebrew to understand God's word. I explicitly refuted that on page 5 of this thread when I said, You cannot even be honest with simple facts. No one told you that to understand God's word you must these other things. The problem is that you come in here, pretending to be an expert, taking a dogmatic opinion, and accusing others or twisting and denying God's word. Then you reveal that you are not familiar with even teh most basic facts of the position that you are so dogmatically defending. That is the problem. What you need to do is exactly what you have done in reading and believing the KJV: Trust those who know more than you do.

You either have a short attention span or are very loose with the truth. My suspicion, based on what you have said here, is the latter. That is a serious flaw in character.

Why is it funny to say something that is not true? I have explicitly refuted this as you well know from reading this thread and others. When you say this, it is an outright mistruth and you know better.