1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My experience at a revival - Baptism of Holy Spirit? Please Help!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Rando76, Mar 13, 2007.

1. D28guy

D28guy New Member

His Blood,

You posted...

OK, and it still...even with the word "unknown" in there...it still means that if someone is PERSONALLY and PRIVATELY speaking to God in an unknown tongue, that is a personal communication that nobody else in the meeting has any buisiness interfering with or demanding to know what the interpretation is. Its personal. It is nobodies buisiness.

It is ONLY when someone clearly presents a prophetic message to the entire fellowship as a whole that it needs to be interpreted.

I dont know why you are struggling so with this.

Mike

2. His Blood Spoke My Name

It is not I who is struggling with this.

Did not Paul say when one speaks there must be an interpreter present? And did he not say if there was no interpreter present that one is to keep silent?

I do not see where Paul said 'interpreters are not necessary unless it is a prophetic message given'. That is your addition to the Word of God.

#62 His Blood Spoke My Name, Mar 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2007
  3. His Blood Spoke My Name

It seems to me you are confusing prophesying with speaking with tongues. They are not the same. There is not one verse that says some tongues given are prophecy.

1 Corinthians 14:4 (KJV) He that speaketh in an [unknown] tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

Prophesying is nothing more than preaching the infallible Word of God. That is all.

Speaking in an unknown tongue is not speaking to man, but to God.

4. D28guy

D28guy New Member

His Blood,

No its not.

The word of God...

"I will pray in the Spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing in the Spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding"

God here is clearly...CLEARLY...advocating BOTH.

The word of God...

"Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts. But epsecially that you prophesy. For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him. However, in the Spirit he speaks mysteries."

God (though Paul) is not in any way speaking negatively of this. He is simply stating "the way it is" with that gift.

God then says...

"But he who prophesies speaks edifiaction and comfort to men."

And he goes on to say that it is for that reason that it is the preferrable gift. But he never says that the other gifted one is in the wrong. Its just a different gift.

He then goes on to say that if a message is given to the church in tongues that is should be interpreted. But that has nothing to do with the personal prayer language.

BOTH ARE ADVOCATED and ACCEPTABLE.

We know because God goes on to say, through Paul, a few verses later...

"In conclusion, I will pray in the Spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing in the Spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding"

I dont know how God could be any clearer.

Mike

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Sorry to interrupt. You have misquoted scripture.

D28guy
    I will pray with(not in) the spirit (little s, meaning Paul's spirit, not God's), and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with(not in) the spirit (little s), and I will also sing with the understanding.

6. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Sometimes thats the case.

But obviously that isnt always the case. If it were, then why would God speak of the need for a spiritual "interpretation" of the message for those present?

:thumbs:

Mike

7. D28guy

D28guy New Member

His Blood,

Its late, I'm tired, and i didnt feel like opening up the scriptures again. I typed out that verse as best I could from memory. Your changing a big S to a little one, or changing "in" to "with" doesnt amount to a hill of beans as they say.

It doesnt affect that sense, the interpretation, or my point at all.

Its now time for me to stop....:type: and to start........:sleeping_2:

Enjoyed our discussion very much, and maybe we can hook up later. :thumbs:

Good night!

Mike

8. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

D28: "Spirit" and "spirit" translate the same Greek word, and the New Testament's Greek-writing authors did not capitalize to distinguish between the two.

Often times, professional translators, the top experts in biblical languages, do not know which case to put down when they see that word.

9. His Blood Spoke My Name

You apparently are not reading your Bible correctly or you have the wrong Bible altogether.

Prophesying does not need interpretation:

Paul did not say Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the others interpret.

Nowhere in Paul's discourse does he even come close to saying that the unknown tongue is for prophesying.

And where does the scripture say it is ok to speak tongues aloud without an interpreter as long as you are not giving a message to the church? I cannot find it anywhere in the whole fourteenth chapter of first Corinthians.

#69 His Blood Spoke My Name, Mar 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2007
  10. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

Of course, I see little being done here about those indications that tongues, with interpretation, is a valid gift, there is no scripture stating that it would cease when the canon was complete, and no one wants to deal with that nice little phrase that reads

and do not forbid speaking in tongues."

Some Baptists seem to forget that.

11. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

All of this brings to mnd a video I found on someone's blog.

Please note: don't click through the video to get to YouTube, because the comments on the video are offensive and contain foul language.

http://uncletweety.livejournal.com/

12. His Blood Spoke My Name

Jack,

I would allow anyone to speak tongues in my church as long as they had an interpreter with them and it was not that babbling that is heard in most Pentecostal and Charismatic churches.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Now that was SCARY! [​IMG]

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In that video - who looks like they were the center of attention? Who was the one who got the glory?? Sad AND scary!!

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You're right Ann, it is sad. How can people who claim to know God be so deceived? I wouldn't let Benny Hinn touch me with a 10 foot pole.

16. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

From the looks of it, he doesn't have to... :laugh:

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I posted this before, I think, but our pastor went to something like that - and the guy tried to knock him down just like in the video. Pastor prayed against Satan and prayed that, if it's not of God, that God would hold him up. When the guy started PUSHING at our pastor, my pastor pushed back - and the guy gave up. But then he couldn't get anyone else down after that!! I really think that says something about that particular situation atleast.

18. AAA

AAA New Member

Was this at a Oneness Pencostal denomination or trinitarian pentecostal like faith church?

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Better make that a 20 foot pole! Even that may not be long enough! Now I'm really scared. I'm laughing, but it really does give me the creeps.

20. Rando76

Rando76 New Member

YouTube is blocked where I work - I haven't got to see this yet. Sounds interesting.

That's the way I've perceived it as well, but I wasn't sure if there was anything else that talked about the end of gifts.

#80 Rando76, Mar 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2007