1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My experience at a Roman Catholic Funeral

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by stilllearning, Aug 22, 2008.

1. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

In another thread I relaid my experience, while attending a Roman Catholic Funeral, and I described it as, “pervasive Spiritual Darkness”.

I now realize, that I really should not have left things hanging that way.

So here is a more detailed explanation.
    --------------------------------------------------
    This was the first time, that I had ever gone through the doors of a Roman Catholic church, and the first thing that hit me, was the fact that everything that I had seen in the lives of Roman Catholics over the years, seemed to be in a concentrated form, there.

On the surface, there were those idols all around the room, and everybody genuflecting in unison: But worst of all, was the oversized blasphemes statue of our Lord, still on the cross(He is no longer on the cross).

Now we were standing way in the back(it was a packed house), but when the “mass” part of the service started, I really started getting antsy.

Both my wife and I, later described to each other, exactly what the experience was like.
    The best way, that I can put it, is it was almost like being in a hyperbaric chamber, with the air pressure getting higher and higher.

And it wasn’t very long after that, that we both had to exit. This had been the funeral, for the relative of a friend of ours, so we thought that it was somehow our duty to attend, so as to maybe give some comfort.

But there was no “comfort”, to be given.

To think back on it now, it breaks my heart, when I think about all those poor people, steeped in this false religions lies, so assured that they are right.
    --------------------------------------------------
    As to weather or not this was an act of “separation” or simply rejecting Satan’s lies, that will have to left up to each individual believer’s conscience..

Therefore, this account, should not have been included, in my post about “Separation”!

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Not to mention the prayers to Mary and other dead people, prayer for the deceast to go to heaven, eventually once they pay for their sin in purgatory.
    Grew being taught the RCC false religion, even though my grandmother had been excommunicated during WWII, my mother was raised by her grandmother, in the RCC church. So everything I was ever taught was RCC. I ahd no problem throwing it all out when I was saved and started reading scritpure, everyday found something that had to go.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Stilllearning, it seems to me that you are spiritually sensitive, which is not a bad thing at all. You may react to certain things more than others, or you may feel that reaction in a more sensitive way. I think it's better to be like this than to be desensitized.

Just be aware of it and realize that not all Christians will react like you or understand your reaction. And that's okay.

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Emphasis mine

Excellent points Marcia, and especially the bolded part.

I think this is one of the greatest problems for the average modern Christian.

You've heard the parable, "Can't see the forest for the trees."? I would paraphrase that to "Can't see the sin for the tolerance" - courtesy of the liberalization of His Word!!!

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I have been to several Catholic funerals, after all I live in Ireland. I understand EXACTLY what you are describing, but then again this country is always in a cloud of spiritual darkness.

And yet, how far do we go to avoid having our spiritual sensitivity offended? Did Jesus not tell us to expect this?

I go out of love for my friends. The inroads into homes and lives has been amazing.

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Like DonnA's post above--------my mother grew up RCC---but the scales fell from her eyes the moment she was saved-------still----her family was RCC------yet----my dad and mom raised us as Southern Baptists

And I am like Roger's post---I attend those RCC funerals out of love for my mom's family and friends. The funeral mass is spooky, ain't it?? But I sit quietly and pray for the attendee's eyes to be opened just like someone else prayed for my momma's eyes to be opened.

#6 blackbird, Aug 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2008
  7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think each person has to weigh this for themselves and it depends on the situation. I was thinking in broader terms than just funerals as I've come across a lot of examples with people through my ministry who could not attend something or read something due to what I call spiritual sensitivity. This can be a good thing.

Sometimes it's a warning from the Holy Spirit (as in reading a book with anti-biblical themes, even subtle ones). I am not saying this was the case here, but some people do have this reaction.

Sometimes it's temporary. Days after I was saved, I went to the bookstore to look at Chrisitan books (it was a secular bookstore btw) and I was totally unable to go near the occult and New Age books (the areas which I had been involved in). In fact, I was unable to go near my books at home for several weeks! I think this was a protective thing from the Holy Spirit. Of course, later, I ended up in ministry and actually read these books now and evaluate them. But at the time, I had to be away from them for awhile.

So sometimes it's a warning, sometimes protection, sometimes it's a result of discernment, sometimes it has to do with one's past, imo.

God calls us to different things and not everyone has the same reactions or can work through it. When someone has this reaction, I can't help but think that maybe God is wanting them to feel this way for a reason.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I understand completely. I daresay would not not be spiritually comfortable on a visit to this country. It is dark and heavy.

9. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Still Learning

I indeed agree with most of your comments about the RCC as I was a lost Catholic for 46 years. While it may be your opinion it IS NOT Blasphemy for a Catholic or a Baptist like myself to have a Crucifix hanging on a wall. If you fo not WORSHIP the crucifix. It is just to remind us or ME for that matter of how Jesus died for my sins. Plain cross or crucifix, doesn't matter one way or another. Yes, Christ has risen, I know that but seeing Him nailed to the cross reminds me about the Blood of Christ. It is all a matter of personal opinion. Nobody is going to hell for blasphemy for having a crucifix.

Keep an open mind,
    God Bless
    Hawg

10. North Carolina Tentmaker

I have been to lots of services in lots of other religions and denominations. I have been to catholic weddings, funerals, christenings, confirmations. I have been to Jewish services as well.

I understand exactly what you mean by spiritual darkness. These can be very depressing affairs when we as Christians understand the spiritual darkness and hopelessness that surrounds them.

BUT, I would never hesitate to go if I thought it could help me reach someone for Christ. They are not going to rob me of my salvation and faith just because I go to their service. I am not saying that I enjoy these things, but I look at it as a spiritual duty trying to be a light in the darkness.

11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Best thing is not to go at all to any non-"Christian" affair, period.
    If they know what you are and what you believe, then that's enough.
    Love can be expressed other ways.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Yup, stay in our little neo-monastic enclaves and don't sully ourselves with the filth of the world.

13. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

What is a non-Christian affair? I went to a Cubs game in Chicago and it didn't seem particularly Christian. Would you stay away from that?

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Right! And some would bear it because they maybe are missionaries there (like you!) and others would barely feel it. And some would find it too oppressive.

I've had several Christians tell me that when they get into heavy Mormon country, they can feel an oppression there. I have felt this as well at New Age fairs and bookstores but God enables me to get through it (I'm there for ministry purposes).

15. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have attended Catholic funerals. The only awkward moment was at my wife's grandfather's funeral, where we abstained from communion while the rest of the family participated. (The Wife's father was the Baptist sheep of an otherwise Catholic family.)

I was far more uncomfortable at a Pentecostal meeting I attended where tongues were practiced. And watching a number of TV preachers wants to make me take a shower more than going to a Catholic funeral.

16. brucebaptist

brucebaptist New Member

It "seems" like spiritual darkness because it IS spiritual darkness... I was born and raised catholic and let me assure you that after studying that religion for years now... it is just as dark and even darker than it may appear at that funeral.
    The grace of the Lord brought me out of that darkness and has shown me the evils of that system. Nothing on this earth is "darker".... than romanism... my heart bleeds for those lost souls who are in that darkness. Most of my family is catholic and my wife is catholic... i watch them pray to Mary, pray to dead people, "eat" their false jesus every week for forgiveness of sins... its horrible... They are very precious but that system is rotten to the core... Jesus said, "you will know them by their fruits..." The fruits of the rcc is murder, persecution, hatred and torture. The history books are full of these stories. You dont have to look real hard to see these evils but you do have to look. Most Baptists think of the rcc as just another Christian church... Well its not. You cannot find Christ in the mass, Mary, sacraments, etc... Jesus said, "many will come in My name..." Those "many" are the popes... The popes claim to be the "vicar of christ"... or Christ on earth, Jesus in the flesh, the High Priest, the bridge builder... They are not, they are ravenous wolves that Jesus said would come to the earth and decieve millions.... Anyway, your perception of the spiritual darkness at that funeral was right on the money and the Holy Spirit gets the glory for warning you of this darkness...

Glory to God

17. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

Hawg I totally agree with you. I have crosses all over my home one to remind me of the fact that the Lord died on that cross to save a wretch like me. And 2 I also wear a cross around my neck and the cross is in the fish to remind me that when things are at their worse to just keep swimming, just keep swimming (my favorite line from "finding Nemo") I was raised Roman catholic and Methodist and see no idolatry etc like you discussed I even went to mass with my dad at his Catholic Church back home 2 sundays ago and felt nothing of what you felt and personally I think it was rude that oh gosh you had to leave because of the "hyperbaric chamber' feeling. Most of my family is catholic and I attend probably 3 funeral masses, 2 wedding masses and several times a year with my dad. And yes thank you there are christians who have an awesome relationship with the Lord and are Catholic. My grandparents are as well as several friends back home. Being a follower of Christ is about a relationship with Him its not about what church you go to although my friends choose to go to the catholic church they still love the Lord. In fact when I was home we had an awesome time of prayer and fellowship with my catholic/Christ Follower friends.

18. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Doesn't having a crucifx ( a cross with a gross image representing Jesus) bring Him to an open shame?

And why do the catholics hang one over every door if it isn't idolatry?

19. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hi Salamander

You asked......

They do this, because they crucify Him afresh, at every mass.

20. Mr. E

Mr. E New Member

Very good point. Thanks for sharing this! :thumbs: