1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My favorite Bibles

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by baptistcross, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

NKJV is my favorite, I really like my MacArthur Study Bible. I also use the KJV,and look to the NASB for study purposes, and I like the way the ESV translates some passages as well.

2. west

west New Member

I like not in order .ESV,HCSB ,NKJ and NLT .For me I like reading many versions .Sometimes I;ll read the same three chapters in three different versions at the same sitting .I need a Bible in the four versions I mentioned and I;d be set huh .

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you folk realize the tremendous blessings you have, with so many translations and so many reference Bibles? There are no real reference Bibles in Japanese--none! The best we have is some footnotes with alternate readings and a few cross references.

Oh, yes, my favorite reference Bible in English is the Rice Reference Bible, unfortunately out of print nowadays.

4. mioque

mioque New Member

If one wants to put a solid literal translations like the NASB to good use, one needs to know a lot about the historical and cultural context in which the Bible was written.
    If one doesn't have that knowledge (yet), it's probably wiser to read a translation that does take that context into account.

Sidecomment.
    Some supposedly literal translations only manage that feat on the level of individual words&sentences, but not on the level of paragraphs, chapters and books.
    Then one get's sophistecated poetry that reads like dry prose, dry legal texts that read like an epic, the rant of a prophet that reads like a calm lecture....

5. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I think this is a very wise statement.

6. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

I personally am sickened by the gender neutral versions. My favorites are NKJV, HCSV, NASB and NIV. But for my personal daily use, I'll take my NKJV Study Bible, thank you!

7. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I want to thank the posters here of keeping this a good, Christ-like, discussion. Let's keep it this way and we can all get some good information.

Thank you,

and OH: my favorites are KJV1769, KJV1611, NKJV, NASB, ESV and the NIV for witnessing, children or just pleasure reading.

Not necessarily in that order. Each for its own purpose and reading style.

I agree, I do not like the idea of the gender neutral version. My reason is that if the Greek used "brothers" and there is also a Greek word for "sisters" that it chose not to use, then it SHOULD be translated the way the author wrote it.

Now, if there was NO feminine noun, that MIGHT change things, especially if they would place the more dynamic translation in a footnote.

Just my humble opinion.

8. David J

David J New Member

I use the NASB1995. It's a nice update to the NASB. I have a Zondervan Life Application NASB and the notes are really good.

My favorite bibles are the NASB1995, NKJV, and Geneva 1599. I reference the 1611KJV, Bishops, and Geneva because I love older bibles.

By the way for all you NASB people Oxford has a NASB Scofied Study Bible III. I was in the local Christian bookstore and they had just gotten them in. I've got to pick one up ASAP.

9. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use the NKJV Study Bible. I've used the NKJV since I was saved in 1986.
    I like the NKJV, the HCSB, and the NASB.

10. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

I have KJV, NIV, NKJV, NASB. I use all of them, but prefer NASB. I'm going to get The Amplified next.

I make notes in margins and end leafs as well as highlight certain scripture, I also have a notebook.

I think I'll check out the Notetakers.

11. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like the literal translations best. I use the KJV, NKJV, NASB, ASV, ESV, Geneva, Tyndales, Bishops, ect. the most. I use the more dynamic ones much less frequently.

12. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

I like the NKJV, KJV, ESV, NASB, & NIV in that order.

13. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

I like the KJV, NKJV, Darby and NASB.

14. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Personally, when I preach, I use the KJV. I like the way that it is written, and having a common translation really helps in the sermons and helps keep thoughts together.

That being said, even the KJV translators expected others to build upon what they did. Some of their notes hint that there may be better ways to translate certain words and phrases. (Also, we can track some of the things that were added to the original text, some as late as 20 years before the TR was compiled.)

For studying, the most accurate English translation that I've ever seen is the CLV. (Concordant Literal Version) It's not easy to read, but it is right on the money, translating words concordantly, unless they are clearly idioms. Rotherham's is also excellent.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I like the ESV, HCSB, NKJV, MKJV, NIV, NLT, NASB

16. Charles E.Smith

Charles E.Smith New Member

I think the bible baptmom is refering to is The Classic Note Bible. I got mine when I was attending Hyles-Anderson (Dr.Hyles is one of the publishers of it) If you want to buy one check out www.hylespublications.com

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

KJV and NKJV

Then the Geneva Bible

18. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I've got an Evidence Bible, it's a great resource.

19. Tony kelly

Tony kelly New Member

Lately I have been using the HCSB , ESV and the NKJ .Years ago it was the KJ ,NIV and NASB .I also like the NLT .

20. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The versions I use most are NASB, NIV and ESV.
    Occassionally I will reference KJV, NRSV and The Message.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.