1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My First Sermon

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JRG39402, Oct 11, 2006.

1. JRG39402

JRG39402 New Member

This Sunday my pastor is going to let me do the sermon for the evening service. I surrendered to ministry before the church a few weeks ago and talked to my pastor be fore that. We go to Calvary Baptist Church, an SBC church. Any suggestions. My sermon is on John 3:14-21. I am using the Holman Christian Standard Bible and my outline breaks into Our Calling (John 3:14 and 15), Our Reason (John 3:16-18) , and Our Responce (John 19-21).

2. NateT

NateT Member

My suggestion sounds incredibly simple, but is rather difficult. Don't preach as anyone else. Preach as yourself. Don't try to be Spurgeon, Piper, Adrian Rogers, David Jeremiah or anyone else. If God wanted them to give the Sunday evening sermon at your church they would be (although I suppose it would be hard for Spurgeon or Rodgers to be there :D).

Also, as this is your first sermon, don't try to solve all the world's problems with one sermon. Stick to the text and explain it, and apply it to the people in your congregation.

I say this because it seems like the earlier on in our experience we are, the more we tend to "swing for the fences" rather than just focusing on "making contact"

3. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

My suggestion to you is this... context, context, context! Please answer this question, what is the context of John 3? What is the whole context of the Gospel of John? If you read and understand the context, you will not build a sermon, or teach on a false premise. What God intended to say to the original audience, He intends to say today. What God never intended for the original audience, He does not intend for us today. Learn the truth of what He was saying in context, and then apply it to us today. That is called hermeneutics. Please don't put into scripture your preconceived notions or theology. Let scripture speak for itself. You will be amazed at what you thought you knew. Grace and peace

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It sounds like he has done just that.

5. reformedbeliever

Yeah webdog? And what is the context webdog? I'm interested in what you have to say.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not preaching at his church Sunday. Did you even see his outline? If you want to discuss John 3, start your own thread and don't hijack his. You insinuated he wasn't preaching from context, and the burden of proof lies on you to back this...not me.

#6 webdog, Oct 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2006
  7. reformedbeliever

I saw his outline and that has nothing to do with whether or not his sermon will be in context. I simply suggested that he use context, not suggested that he was not, and then use his outline to bring his message to his congregation. I was not saying that his outline was in any way wrong webdog. Do you understand how to outline a sermon? Do you understand how to develop a sermon? Have you been trained in sermon preparation? Do you always attack a brother who may have *reformed* in his user name? Get a life webdog.

8. reformedbeliever

Greetings brother. My reply to your thread was in no way implying that your outline is in any way incorrect. I was simply saying to be sure to read and understand the scripture in context. That is one of the biggest mistakes a preacher makes today. I'm sure you will. You asked for suggestions and thats all i'm doing is suggesting context. Grace and peace.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Repent! The Son of God has come to redeem mankind from sin and into the Kingdom . . .

If only God's men would speak on behalf of God, maybe then His people would repent.

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

JRG

Get right with the Son! Fill yourself with His Holy Spirit! Spend time with the Father! Let Him preach the Word through you to His people!

Spend less time worrying about the context of other preachers and worry more about the context of God and His people. What is God leading His people to do? What should they (God's sheep) go and do after hearing God speak through you?

I am praying for you.

Wayne

11. reformedbeliever

amen bro Wayne.........!

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Two suggestions beyond what some of the others have said. And I would tend to agree with most of what has already been posted, BTW, especially as to imitation of someone else. :thumbsup:
    1.) The greatest sermon ever recorded in Scripture was preached by one of the biggest bigots found in Scripture, one who was preaching only to save his own neck, preached off a street corner, by one who would have rather done about anything else, and actually hoped no one would respond, and was unhappy when something 'good' came of it, and consisted of a total of exactly eight words. That preacher's name was Jonah.
    2.) The longest sermon found in Scripture, I believe, is the Sermon on the mount, which when read aloud, will take about ten to twelve minutes or so. That preacher's name ws Jesus.
    Therefore, take the hint! KISS! If you don't know happen to know what "Kiss" stands for, it actually has two meanings. Keep it simple, Stupid! or alternativly, and more 'nicely', Keep it short, Son!
    I'm certainly not putting down your youth, for your profile shows you to be about eighteen or so. But it is very easy to effectively ruin a good 15 minute message by attempting to stretch it out for 30. And that is not the perogative only of one your age, for I have seen it done by individuals of three times your age. (Some BB members probably think I should take my own 'advice' as to posts, as well. :D) File this away, deep in your mind. It will come in handy, sometime.

God bless you in your endeavors! :thumbsup:

In His grace,
    Ed

#12 EdSutton, Oct 11, 2006
  13. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Really good advice.

Congrats on your first sermon, that is truly exciting. Spend a lot of time in prayer leading up to this message and just try to share from your heart what the text has to say.

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Uh- FTR, wasn't the "original audience" for this 'sermon' found here a :rolleyes: rather large group of one?

Ed

15. reformedbeliever

One other suggestion my brother. A very good friend of mine, whom I admire and have been under his instruction, told me to study the text and then study again. He said if you really study and prepare for the text, you will be better informed than the vast majority of the congregation. Most of them do not study at all... and depend on your teaching. That makes us a little accountable huh? Grace and peace

16. reformedbeliever

Ummmm....... yeah, FTR it was. :thumbsup: Does that change the truth of what He was saying? Does that change what the context is? Can that same truth be applied to a contemporary society? That is all I was saying. What is the point of the audience being only one?

edited to remove the reference to wayne.... don't know why I got his name mixed up :laugh:

#16 reformedbeliever, Oct 11, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you are going to falsely accuse me in front of millions, back it up. Show where I attacked anybody. Your inflammatory remarks toward me show just the opposite. Did I state "why does everyone with 'reformed' in their name always have to attack me"? Your "get a life" comment speaks volumes...

#17 webdog, Oct 11, 2006
  18. reformedbeliever

I didn't insinuate anything webdog. Of course I read his outline. Why do you insinuate that I didn't? This is false information about me and thus an attack. You are famous for doing this to anyone with a reformed theological view. Do you have anything better to do? I do. So go ahead and hijack this mans thread webdog, I have better things to do.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Now asking you a question is an attack? Wow.
    Asking questions? You are correct...but I don't only ask those with a reformed view. I never thought I would hear the phrase "you are famous" associated with me :)
    Obviously... :rolleyes:

20. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Here's an important tip: WRITE OUT the first sentence and the last three sentences. This will help you to follow the Three Essential Guidelines:
    • Stand up
    • Speak up
    • Conclude your address