1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My Life as a Mutt-American

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by FR7 Baptist, Jan 27, 2013.

1. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

Inspired by Salty's similarly titled thread...

One of my hobbies is genealogy. Recently, I decided to make my first attempt at genetic genealogy, hopefully to break some brick walls in my research. So, I paid $99 to 23andme to have my DNA analyzed. One of their features is the ancestry composition tool, which matches your DNA to their database of reference populations. That lets you know where your ancestors are from. They even break it down into subsets. Here are my results:

European 88.8%
    +Northern European
    ++British and Irish 24.7%
    ++French and German 10.8%
    ++Scandinavian 1.5%
    ++Finnish 0.6%
    ++Nonspecific Northern European 29.7%
    +Southern European
    ++Italian 3.2%
    ++Iberian 2.3%
    ++Sardinian 0.4%
    ++Nonspecific Southern European 9.0%
    +Ashkenazi 0.2%
    +Nonspecific European 6.3%
    East Asian and Native American 9.0%
    +Native American 8.6%
    +Nonspecific East Asian and Native American 0.4%
    Sub-Saharian African 1.6%
    Middle Eastern and North African 0.3%
    +North African 0.3%
    Unassigned 0.4%

A few comments:
    The 8.6% Native American ancestry no doubt comes from my Hispanic grandmother. That was higher than I thought it would be, but I was sure there would be some.

I think Kyredneck would be interested in the 0.2% Ashkenazi ancestry.

In regards to the 1.6% Sub-Saharian African ancestry: :confused: Somewhere down the line I must have a black ancestor, but I don't know where.

This just proves what I've thought all along- I'm a poor, disadvantaged, downtrodden Mutt-American. As Ralph Nader would say, I'm "acting white" and "talking white" but I'm really only 88.8% white. I wonder if I can get affirmative action to make up for my disadvantages.

In the end it doesn't matter. I'm passing for white anyway.

2. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

These DNA tests are really interesting! I've been researching my tree for over 10 years, and have linked up my research with my parents and grandparents research. It's been lots of fun, and the DNA tests are so exciting in confirming what we have learned.

My breakdown is:

98.6 European
    00.5 Sub-Sarahan African
    01.0 Unassigned

The Sub-Sarahan African part is a surprise. I guess it goes a long way back, tho. :) The European is a given, since we are mostly Scottish with a sprinkling of English, German, Irish, and Swedish. There is a family story that we have some Native American blood, but it doesn't look like it from the DNA test.

So I'm a Mutt, too, but mostly a European Mutt. :)