1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My life has become a hell...what should i do?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by benz, Mar 28, 2007.

1. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Your comment was sensored for tact!! You need to understand that perhaps millions of people view this site---perhaps several with the same problem as the OP but who perhaps will not understand your reasoning behind your post.

For something as personal as you posted----a PM would have been better use of that particular advise/question.

Thanks!

Bro. David
    aka Blackbird

2. amity

amity New Member

I disagree totally with you on this one. Why keep it secret, as though it caused embarrassment or discomfort? The majority of us are going to lose someone we love to suicide, and when we do will we be filled with regret for not having known what to do? We should hopefully all learn a bit about suicide prevention. If someone has expressed a desire to commit suicide, that question (I will not repeat it) should be asked. It is an important way of finding out if someone is at immediate risk and helps them determine just how close they are to comitting suicide, hopefully drawing them up short.

Sorry if it upset your sensibilities for some reason, but I do not believe suicide, and especially ways of helping people who fear they might kill themselves, should be in the closet. I think it should be taught in the school system, in fact, and increasingly it is.

#22 amity, Mar 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2007
  3. His Blood Spoke My Name

For the same reason that the Word of God tells us not to go to court against a brother in the Lord (the World will not handle the situation according to how God would want it handled), we should never tell someone to go see a psychiatrist... the psychiatrist will do nothing but fill the mind with that which is contrary to God's Word and His will.

Smile, Sleep and Sex? Now see, that is exactly what the world thinks. Smile and you will feel better... Sleep and you'll feel better... Sex and you will feel better.

All nothing but making one more prideful than one ought.

Benz needs to be in a good Bible-Believing church ...not walking the streets smiling as if there were nothing wrong.

He needs to be in prayer, casting all his cares on the Lord Jesus Christ ...not sleeping.

He needs to be walking with the Lord, seeking a closer relationship with the One who truly loves him ...not sex.

Magic pill? Wrong again. What is needed by all instead of worldly advice is just one pill and one pill only... the GOS-PILL.

4. ituttut

ituttut New Member

You are recommending a "Healer", or perhaps the Catholic church"? No thanks.

Tell me what church and what Holy Man we are to go to that can heal us? There is none, else why all the Doctors and Hospitals?

There is no Preacher, Pastor, or any others that can tell us do as I say, or do exactly like the Bible says, and you will be healed. It doesn't work that way. Many have "chemical imbalances" and there are medicines to help in these cases. We can no longer just ask and He will do, as the Apostles for a while could do, but today it is His will and not ours that will be done. Perhaps with a little "wine to help us get past a tough spot" will help, or a "pill". But if not, and prayer hasn't helped, then His will, will be done. People die every day, both the good and the bad. We try everything available to us, and sometimes it is just not to be. So let's smile while we can, take our rest, and enjoy our sex. The day will come when we may not be able to do these healthy things.

5. His Blood Spoke My Name

O ye of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

6. His Blood Spoke My Name

Luke 12:19 (KJV) And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, [and] be merry.
    Luke 12:20 (KJV) But God said unto him, [Thou] fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided? {thy...: Gr. do they require thy soul}

7. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I find it very disturbing that you are arguing about phsychiatry in this thread HBSMN. There is a time and a place for everything and a new thread might be a better place for that discussion. Benz clearly was distressed when he wrote the OP. This thread should be about encouraging him and letting him know that even though we don't know him we care. Telling a person struggling with suicidal thoughts to not seek medical attention, especially a person you have never met, is just plain wrong. Please, please, please take this discussion elsewhere. You are entitled to your beliefs and I respect that, but now is not the time or place.

Benz, I am still praying for you. You are not wrong for seeking medical advice. Hope all went well yesterday. :wavey:

8. His Blood Spoke My Name

FilmProducer,

I disagree. I gave sound Spiritual advice to address the OP, in rebuttal to the inane 'Smile, Sleep, and Sex' post by another poster.

I also believe that much of the cause of man's problems today is that man looks to the world for answers to spiritual problems. Show me Scripture that clearly tells us we are to use our own wisdom over God's Divine Will?

My view on this matter belongs in this thread.

I might also add, a pastor can advise and help much more than a psychiatrist any day of the week. A godly pastor will address the problem using the Wisdom found in God's Holy Word, not through writings of Freud or Jung.

#28 His Blood Spoke My Name, Mar 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2007
  9. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Paul says have faith, and when nervous and in doubt, take a little wine for your stomach's sake.

10. His Blood Spoke My Name

Gee, yer good at twisting the Word. That is not what Paul said.

What he said is this...

1 Timothy 5:23 (KJV) Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

Says nothing about drinking because one is nervous and in doubt. Why are you adding to God's Word?

11. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Happy is he who can smile, and sleep with a clear conscious, and has no hang-ups with normal bodily functions. Then there are those that quote scripture that has nothing to do with the subject at hand, making reference to things not said. I can also quote scripture out of context, but to me they make sense in this situation for it address's one that is "scatter shooting" that completely missed the point, which is foolishness. "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned", I Corinthians 2:14.

12. His Blood Spoke My Name

which must by you are not receiving the Truth

13. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Why are you arguing with Paul? You don't believe Paul any more than you do God that gave to you something to make you heart "glad".

Tell me what Paul is speaking about when he tells Timothy to take a little wine? Will you drink wine for any reason? If not, then I would hope you never quote Paul again, for you believe he lies, and wine is not good for your stomach's sake.

14. His Blood Spoke My Name

Why are you arguing with God who says Look not on the fermenting beverage? whose Word commands us as kings and priests to abstain from alcohol lest our judgment be perverted?

15. His Blood Spoke My Name

Also, ituttut,

Why are you hijacking this thread with you alcohol agenda? That is not the subject of the OP.

16. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Yeah, that's me. Continuing in the three "S's" that some cannot comprehend. It's much better than those you find in Luke 12:19 (KJV) And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, [and] be merry.
    Luke 12:20 (KJV) But God said unto him, [Thou] fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided? {thy...: Gr. do they require thy soul}

I just got orders to come eat.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Psychology--the study of the psyche--the mind.
    --The mind in the Bible is often referred to as the heart, and sometimes the soul.

Psychiatry--branch of medicine that deals with mental, emotional, or behavioral disorders (comes from psyche also--the mind)

What does the Bible say about the mind?

"Let this mind be in which is also in Christ Jesus."

2 Corinthians 10:4-5 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Philippians 4:6-7 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
    --Be full of care about nothing or don't be anxious about anything, or don't be worried. Don't worry about anything, but in everything...

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

Romans 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

1 Corinthians 2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

There are 99 references to the mind in the Bible. If you incude its synonyms there are far more than that. We are to yield our minds to the Lord Jesus Christ. Our focus is to be on him. Depression is a form of selfishness. It is self-pity. You are discouraged and depressed because you have taken your eyes of the Lord and focussed them on yourself and on your circumstances. Remember that Christ went through much more than you did. What does the Bible say about that.

Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
    3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.

The cause of both discouragement and depression is looking unto self instead of looking unto Jesus.
    The problems of the mnd cannot be solved by secular psychiatrist for they are spiritual in nature. The mind is a spiritual part of the person once he is born again. Trouble with the mind (depression) is then a spiritual problem that requires spirtual help, not psychiatric help. A good Bible-believing counsellor can help, or you can help yourself by looking in the Word, praying, and focussing your attention on Christ, and taking your eyes off yourself. A little well acronym goes like this:

JESUS first
    OTHERS second
    YOURSELF last, and that equals JOY.

18. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The mind is also affected by the brain, and the brain is a bodily organ that can get sick. Those who are sick should get medical attention.

I think we all care for our friend in the OP. I would hope that his health would preempt our squabbles.

How's it going, Benz?

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Hi Benz, as I recall you recently quit smoking. I believe you said that you were going to be taking a drug to help you quit, which I think was Wellbutrin. The combination of quiting smoking and the side effects of the Wellbutrin could be contributing to your depression. I am not one who believes that you can will yourself out of all types of depression. Sometimes it can be caused by lifestyle and wrong and self-centered thinking as some have pointed out. But it can also be caused by chemical imbalances in the brain. The brain is an organ just as your heart or lungs and sometimes it gets sick. Follow your dr.'s instructions regarding treatment of the physical problem and turn to God for your spiritual needs. Sometimes we need both and God works through dr.'s to heal us.
    I hope you will let us know how you are doing.
    God Bless you. You will get through this.
    :1_grouphug: <-------your BB friends.

20. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I don't think I've yet seen where a Christian Psychologist/Psychiatrist was recommended.

When I was in high school, I went to a Christain Psychologist. He was actually an ordained Baptist minister and a very good man, as well. I went to him for about a year. If nothing else, it was good to talk about my problems to someone in private. Really, we could all use a good dose of counselling. I love my Pastor, my friends in the church, my family in the church and all, but there are things that I talked about with my Psychologist that were too embarrasing to discuss with closer, personal friends and family.

I would recommend that to anyone who needs help for anything that might be bothering them.

He handled things in a very biblical manner, btw, and gave me some really good advice about life and what we're here for.

Benz just needs to remember why he's here; to praise and give glory to God. That should help him in the short term, but if there is a chemical imbalance within his body, he needs to be on meds. This is no different than someone who has the flu who gets some meds from the doctor for that.

God gave us some good gifts, doctors, and medicine in general, being one. We should use them.