1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My life has become a hell...what should i do?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by benz, Mar 28, 2007.

1. His Blood Spoke My Name

depression is not a sickness. it is an attack on the mind.

What does the Word of God say?

Show me Scripture that says God waived His position as the giver of peace? as the one who Comforts the mind?

2. amity

amity New Member

To be perfectly consistent, you probably do not use M.D.s for physical illnesses, because He is the Great Physician, right?

3. His Blood Spoke My Name

Jesus said, 'They that are whole have no need for a physician, but they that are sick.' Christ gave the go ahead to see a doctor for sickness.

I believe one should first have a talk with the Lord before ventuing out to a doctor's office. People no longer know what healing by faith is any more for their faith in Christ still being a healing Christ is greatly diminished by their abundance of doctors and hospitals in this country today.

I have seen people healed by faith in Christ. I have seen doctors used to begin a healing process.

But again... and some just do not seem to understand. DHK said it a while back on this thread. What is needed for the mind is Christ. Not some psychiatrist filling the mind with worldly junk and pills.

The Word of God said God is the comforter of the mind. That only Christ can give true peace.

Did you know that the words 'mind' and 'heal' or, 'mind' and 'sick' cannot be found in the same verse in the Word of God? Do you know why that is? Because the mind cannot get sick.

It is not man's place to try to heal that which cannot get sick. Take the depression to God, He is the only one that can take it away.

4. amity

amity New Member

Blood, it is a fact that the brain is as much a part of the body as the liver or spleen, and the brain can get sick. Physically sick. It can get encephalitis. It can get rabies. It can get hypoxic injury. It can get schizophrenia. It can get depression. All of these are real physiologic states, not only "states of mind."

Now there was a time when if someone developed an illness, any illness, it was thought to be a sign of God's disfavor, punishment for sin. So whatever sort of illness happened, it was one's own fault. We see Job's interlocutors grappling with that belief. I hope we are past that type of thinking now, but you do seem to be saying that mental illness results from spiritual shortcomings.

Mental illness is not a spiritual problem.

#64 amity, Apr 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2007
  5. His Blood Spoke My Name

Depression is not a sickness. nor is schitzophrenia.

The brain is not the mind, amity. The brain is material. The mind... is not.

The mind is not sick, nor can it get sick.

6. His Blood Spoke My Name

Matthew 17:15-21 15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water. 16 And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him. 17 Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me. 18 And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour. 19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out? 20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. 21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

Are you saying God's Word is lying when Jesus said one who was lunatick (moonstruck) was not sick, but rather, had a devil. Jesus said those things that attack the mind cannot go out but by prayer and fasting, and yet many advocte psychiatry and pills. Amazing!

7. His Blood Spoke My Name

Psychiatrists and Medical Doctors today would diagnose that boy with epilepsy and give him medications to control the seizures, all the time leaving the demon in him.

It is not chemical imbalances that cause problems with the mind. Jesus never said 'that boy has a chemical imbalance, give him these pills which he will have to take for the rest of his life.' No, the Word of God says He cast that demon out that was causing the epilepsy.

If the ax is not laid to the root, the problem remains. Neither pills, nor doctors will cure that which plagues the mind, only the Lord can do that.

8. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You sound like those people that thought that the man blind from birth that Jesus healed was that way because either he or his parents had sinned. Jesus told that that they were wrong. I think Jesus would say the same to you. Mental illness is a real physical problem that can be helped with the right treatment.

9. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Proof please?

10. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Benz, when you get a chance, please let us know how you are doing. We are still praying for you.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

no where does the bible teach we are not to seek medical help. that is a man made fallacy.

12. His Blood Spoke My Name

Donna,

Where is the Scripture that says the lunatick was sick? That one whose mind was so troubled that he oft times cast himself into the fire?

You won't find it. Because it was his mind that what the problem. There was a devil possessing his mind. The mind cannot get sick... it is not a material thing.

The Word of God tells us that God will keep those who trust in Him in perfect peace.

Depression cannot be destroyed with psychiatrists and pills. They can only control the depression. The mind cannot be set free of that which troubles it but only through the Lord Jesus Christ.

Christ gives Comfort when one is troubled
    Christ gives peace when one is afraid
    Christ makes happy and joyous when one is sad or depressed

The world gives false peace, false comfort, false happiness..

13. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Benz, take a good long look into the Psalms. David encouraged himself in the Lord, we can do the same. I have many,many times.

Jesus is our Great Physician and it just could be that He wants you to be in your Bible more, it is the dource of our strength and the joy of the Lord is our strength.

I am i9nvolved in a nursing home ministry and talking to the residents encourages me and FIRES me UP! many,many times.

I look at their situation and some truly saints of God give me more than I could ever imagine!

Keep your affections set on things above, it is our hope, and never a false hope!:thumbs:

14. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Benz, I am praying for you! How are you doing today? Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you in this difficult time. Are things getting any better? What can we do to encourage you and lift you up? At any rate please let us know how you are doing. I don't know you personally, but you are my brother in Christ. :praying: :wavey:

15. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

But you added to the scriptures here by assuming that depression can not be a physical illness. Do you know what Revelation says about adding to the Bible?

16. His Blood Spoke My Name

But you added to the scriptures here by assuming that depression can be a physical illness. Do you know what Revelation says about adding to the Bible?

17. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Luke 5:31 (KJV) And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick.

Psychiatrists are MDs.

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

It also does not say in Scripture, "The mind cannot get sick." Be consistent, lest you add to Scripture as well.

You say in a later post that you're differentiating between "mind" and "brain." Perhaps, then you would concede that there are some illnesses that are brain illnesses. Alzheimer's, for instance. Indisputable medical evidence (through autopsies) prove that Alzheimer's disease affects the brain tissue itself.

Years ago, folks would have possibly put Alzheimer's patients (especially the combative ones) in the "possessed" realm. I have no doubt that there are possessed folks...I'm pretty certain that I've seen it with my own eyes. However...what if God grants us wisdomto be able to treat brain disorders, isn't that a good thing?

But, the Bible never says, "the mind cannot be sick." The Bible never offers any differentientation between "brain" and "mind." Does that then mean that you are adding to Scripture? Be careful...be consistent.

I will concede through your arguements that there are tendencies with many secular doctors to overdiagnose for mental illnesses and overprescrive psychotropic meds. That is one extreme. However, I would contend that the other extreme invovles denying the reality of mental illness, and giving advice to a hurting soul that basically says, "medical doctors are of no help to you."

IMO, both extremes are not healthy. One leads to drug-addled, poorly adjusted individuals (and big pharmaceutical profits). The other leads to not addressing the complete scope of the problem.

This post of mine, plus five cents, will get you absolutely nothing. :laugh:

19. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Benz,

I hope you're feeling better! I hope that you got comfort from your Lord, as well as that you have a support system around you.

ANY time we have a drastic, unexplainable change in our emotional state or in our personality we need to get it checked out by a doctor. I have seen brain tumors cause things like this as well. Not everything is a demon.

Honestly? I think that whenever each of us has ever gone through depression we've known whether it was because of our circumstances, or whether it must have had a physical reason. We know when we've been looking at our circumstances in life and letting our hardships get to us too much. We know that......that's hard to not realize, because we are all very aware of our own hardships!

But, when all is well in our life, and we can honestly say that we are trusting God through whatever's going on around us, and we STILL have that overwhelming can't-get-outta-bed feeling, then there's some kind of chemical issue going on.

20. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Debate

I would encourage everyone to get back on target and take up the debate over depression and the Biblical implications in another thread. The tone this has taken reminds me of a man who is drowning, calling out for help, and everyone standing on board the deck of a ship with life preserver in hand and arguing about the Biblical implications of the proper throwing technique. Some even arguing that the Bible does not allow us to give a life preserver, just throw him the Bible, that is all sufficient.

Have we forgotten about the Eithiopian Eunch? He had the scriptures in hand and yet still could not understand them unless somone explained them to him. Give Benz the Word of God and our prayers for his recovery. But take the debate to another thread, please, for his sake.