1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My rant on singles groups

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Xingyi Warrior, Apr 10, 2004.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

And why should that bother you? </font>[/QUOTE]It bothers me because it shows your egocentrism. We are to be humble because if we are not God wil humble us and we probably won't like that.

2. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Honestly, yes. A healthy marriage can take place without a sexual relationship. It makes it much more difficult, but it can survive.

But is this the best way? Just because it is the most common does not make it the best way.

Most Christians that I have known who proceed through the dating relationship are looking for someone that they can spend the rest of their life with. Sex is an added benefit, but that's not why they go around searching for a mate.

But what if you are missing the woman of your dreams because your focus is initially finding someone who can satisfy you sexually? Do you not know that there is so much more to marriage? Research has shown that sexual satisfaction comes not from two partners finding each other visually stimulating or physically attractive. It comes most of all in the level of communication present in the couple - in other words, the deeper their relationship, the better the sex. It's there in black and white, and people from both secular and religious institutions have attested to that. That's where you are missing out.

I haven't had sex in 25 years, and I'm pretty okay with things. I haven't lost my sanity, and have a pretty good job. God has sustained me, so I haven't needed to turn to anything else to satisfy a sexual need. I understand that that comes with marriage, and I'm excited about that, but to say that a person is going to go crazy without sex is on the opposite scale of the puritanical point of view that sex actually makes a person crazy.

Have these studies shown causation or merely correlation?

Paramount importance? Nah. It is important, but not of the utmost. Intimacy - now that's important. Communication - absolutely. Being partners on the spiritual journey - yes! Combine those three aspects, and the sexual relationship will fall into place.

Of course the intimacy isn't there? You're looking for love by moving to the lust category first. It would seem that you are hoping that the initial feelings of physical attraction will morph into some kind of love. That's just opening the door for disaster. I've seen it time and time again.

Then why not try to make no division. Don't lead anyone on. Come to church looking for worship, edification, and opportunities for ministry and missions. Then you don't have to worry about any kind of division. Why wouldn't this be best? Why do you insinuate that you HAVE to lead people on?

It's not about you loving and leaving, it's about what she will do when you leave. You're still stuck in this egocentric paradigm, where you don't seem to even consider what she would go through. This paragraph makes that blatantly clear.

Perhaps this is because of the way you initially perceive women in the first place?

There we go again, lust leads to love. That's not found in the Scriptures at all.

Most doesn't mean best.

That's very sad that you would categorize all of the women as such.

BTW, for the record, I do have a masters in marriage and family counseling, have done and still do pre-marital, marriage, and family counseling, and left my doctoral program in Marriage and Family Counseling with a few semesters remaining to go in the ministry. Just so you know that I have experience in the matter, especially where research is concerned.

3. Xingyi Warrior

Xingyi Warrior New Member

Hmm, my assumptions were correct. You do have professional experience in these matters. Its good to be talking with you.

But do most survive? In my experience, barring situations where a partner has become incapacitated, nearly all marriages Christian or non where sexual problems began to happen (woman holding out on the guy for whatever reason/vice versa) infidelity ensued.

On a reduced, fundamental level I would have to say that marriage is about sex and having children. Everything else is an "added benefit" because aside from those, everything else you can get somewhere else. It may not be the overt reason that people initially search for a mate but we as humans are in part governed by our biologies. Studies have shown that women who dont want children still are predisposed to view men who would make good father figures as attractive.

If she can't satisfy me sexually then shes not the woman of my dreams. I will concede that my focus could be adjusted but as I sais before - physical attraction is either present or its not, case closed.

I wasn't implying that it would make you crazy Scott. But most people try to diminish the importance of sex by telling you that you wont die without it. Thats infantile as there are only a few things of which deprivation will kill you. People who have scizophrenia can LIVE without prescibed medication but they can live much better and fuller lives with it.

THese same studies and similar ones have shown that we as males/females possess minute quantities of the opposite sex hormones within our sytems. Not enough to illicit any kind of physiological changes though. Of course too much would have undesirable affects but we can ony get that (too)much through pharaceudical sources. So where do we get the mones? Fluid transfer - Saliva, semen, vaginal fluid. Thus - healthful benefits.

Scott, it happens wherever I go or no matter what I'm doing. Like I said I must be producing some powerful pheromones or something.

Sorry Scott, but the truth is sometimes not always politically correct. Sure it's subjective, but an observation based upon my personal preferences.

4. ScottEmerson

Do most survive? Christian couples, yes. If everything else is where it needs to be, and for whatever reason, sex is not a recurring part of marriage, the relationship can still be stable. Again, it's not ideal, but it's survivable.

And I would say that that perspective is incredibly worldly and not Christian at all. Read the Word for God's design for marriage. It's found all over the place. You won't find sex or even having children as a reason for marriage (except in I Corinthians 7, when Paul says that it is better to marry than to burn.) In fact, there are many, many things in a marriage that you cannot get anywhere else. To believe that sex is the only thing is silly. Plenty of people are having sex outside of marriage, and they still long to BE married.

So it's still lust which is transforming into love.

You really don't believe this, do you? Testosterone in women is made in small quantities in the ovaries, cortices of the adrenal glands, and the placenta. Estrogen is produced in men by the liver and the adrenal glands. Some estrogen is actually converted from testosterone by the male body. Please, please do some looking-in to this area, because hormones are NOT transferred by fluids.

Pheromones aren't that strong, man. They really aren't. I would talk to a trusted male friend and ask him why things were happening the way they were. Because, sad to say, it's not the pheromones. In fact 95% of what people read about pheromones attracting the opposite sex are completely bogus.

I think that you've been given some bad information. I would encourage you to research these things that you say, "Studies show..." because unless you've read the actual study, people can say many different things about it.

From my opinion, it still looks like you are approaching relationships from a "lust to love" perspective, which, from what I read in Scripture, is out of line with the Word. And isn't that what should govern ALL of our lives?

5. shane usry

shane usry New Member

I've just finished reading this whole thread at one sitting. I've been married for 20 yrs. with 3 beautiful children(14,17,19). I can't relate to someone who is single because I've been married almost all my adult life. One observation I can give is that my relationship with my wife has grown steadily stronger and closer as the years have gone by. "Sex" is not the most important thing in my marriage and never has been. My marriage has not, and never has been perfect. As my wife and I have grown older (41 & 42) we have grown closer. I have more respect for my wife now than ever. She is more attractive now than when we first met! I believe that today's culture pushes single people (men and women) towards the sexual aspect of relationships, instead of the intimacy of friendship and partnership of marriage that I believe God intended. Every thing we see and hear focuses on sexual attraction. That's one thing I've tried to teach my kids...garbage in, garbage out. I believe God will take complete control over our lives if we'll let him have it. He knows what is best for us personally and for the other person involved now or in the future. We, as humans not completely in tune with God's will, are too impatient. This is another problem with today's society, we want what we want RIGHT NOW.
    Someone said earlier in this thread to wait on the Lord. I believe that is an often overlooked command. God has a plan for each of us. We may not like the looks of it at first, but if we allow him to work his will in us, we will be much happier in life now, and be able to serve Him to a greater degree with His match for us.

6. ScottEmerson

Good call, Shane. Very good call.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is obvious you are not married.

If you are governed by your biology then you are no different than a bull. People have a spirit. That’s what makes them different.

If communication is in place everything else follows easily. When the communication is great so is everything else. Life is not without struggles. I want an ambitious wife who will help me through those times. I want a Proverbs 31 wife who works hard. See anything about biology in Proverbs 31? I rejoice that my wife works hard and is intelligent. She takes care of the home very well. I enjoy having people to our home. When I invite them I am assured they will enjoy themselves because she can cook well and makes people very welcome. She plans for us.

My wife graduated with honors form college and was nearly a straight “A” student in high school. I enjoy talking with her because she is intelligent and has something to talk about. My daughter is the same way. My daughter reads at least one hundred books each year. She is in the eighth grade. She has gotten straight “A’s” in every grade. She ran track, plays the piano, and took second place in the county writing test.

The fact is that most men are intimidated by intelligent secure women.

It's not so much looking for the right person as it is being the right person.

8. ScottEmerson

Very true, GB. That's the crux of the matter.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not me! [​IMG] My lady love's Masters degree hooding ceremony is next weekend. She's Magna Cum Laude. (I, otoh, graduated oh-thank-you-Laude).
    Amen, preach it!!!!! [​IMG]

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not me! [​IMG] My lady love's Masters degree hooding ceremony is next weekend. She's Magna Cum Laude. (I, otoh, graduated oh-thank-you-Laude).
    Amen, preach it!!!!! [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]That’s great! What is she getting her master’s in?

11. Mitsy

Mitsy New Member

"If people are unhappy being single, then that needs to be dealt with. Marriage will not take the unhappiness away. A person who is not satisfied being single will not be satisfied being married. Marriage is not better or worse; it is different."

Brother Larry: I think I shall get the above paragraph printed on a poster and hang it in my living room--where I can never forget it.

The original poster brings up some familiar points that I can relate to. I have never been married but was in a very long "committed" relationship for a number of years. Although we never lived together, I felt a bit like a divorcee when I made the final split with him. Even now, I know it was for the best to end things.

I attended and was a member of the Evangelical Free Church for about 17 years when I finally decided that I was a stagnate Christian and was getting very little out of church. I left the E-Free church for a variety of reasons; partly because I had some life-changing circumstances in my own life (father terminally ill), had broken off the long-time relationship, and was dealing with another possible but "never happening" relationship scenario. The singles crowd consisted of mostly women (one of whom is still a close friend). The rest either had the bitter or emotional issues as the poster mentioned or were just plain "weird" by my opinion. I remember never wanting to be lumped in with some of the divorced or never married single women of the church. In fact, I had many more friends at church who were married and had kids. However, I too felt like (at times) that there was little ministry there for the singles of the church. For a while, there was a singles get together once a month. I think it was mostly women with maybe one or two guys. And yes, I'd say most all the women wanted the one guy (except myself). It eventually sort of faded out of the list of activities on the weekly bulletins. I felt strange attending these anyway since I seemed to have little in common with any of the people except the fact that I was single.

I also had another issue at the E-Free Church and maybe this is why I have such strong sympathies for the guy who posted about dating the Catholic girl. It is not anyone's place (in a church or elsewhere) to berate someone for dating a person "not" in the church. Chances are good that whoever I'd be dating would NOT be an ax murderer or drug user. However, I always felt like whoever I dated would be scrutinized at some point. I swore I'd never get involved with another church that did that, even in a subtle way.

I know the heartache all too well about trying to find someone you're compatible with. I personally would never join a singles web site, but I've known some who have. When you get to be in your 30's and 40's, it becomes much harder to find anyone suitable whom you have anything in common with. In all the church-visiting I've done in recent years, I'd have to say that there are VERY few single guys in church - any church. I've even shared this heartache with a few sisters at the Primitive Baptist Church. They sympathize but have little understanding of how I feel.

Many singles oftentimes feel like the "black sheep" in the flock. I felt that way many times at the E-Free Church. I don't know what the answer is, but perhaps treating the singles the same as their married counterparts would be the start. Segregating the singles usually doesn't work as the poster indicated. And many ministers (with exception of a few) don't know the pain that a lot of singles deal with. Either they married young or have simply forgotten what it was like. Quoting a lot of scriptures doesn't do it either. Trust me on that. Sure, God can use you as a single person--no argument there, BUT the recording that runs through many womens' minds is "What is wrong with me"? "Why do I see others finding people and here I sit once again?" At the moment, I'm doing pretty well as a single, but I know the hurt and disappointment the poster is talking about. (didn't mean to write a book here)

12. ScottEmerson

Absolutely, Mitsy. Thanks for sharing that. Too many people think that there is something wrong with them if they are single. Many go into a depression as they over analyze everything about themselves, instead of relying upon the passage in Scripture about being made in the image of God. I believe that church should never have a "black sheep." And ministers and members should both do everything they can to have their arms open wide to people who enter the halls, whether they are single, married, divorced, widowed, or even, *gasp* in a homosexual relationship. How can anyone find healing and/or be brought to repentance unless they have directly experienced the love of Christ through the Church?

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A marriage will accentuate your differences. They will be more noticeable. If you can’t stand the person now surely don’t marry them.

As people get older the number of men becomes less and less. That is not just for single men. It’s a fact that most often men die first. When people get to be 75+ the number of men is about ten percent of the women.

You stated, “ It is not anyone's place (in a church or elsewhere) to berate someone for dating a person "not" in the church. Chances are good that whoever I'd be dating would NOT be an ax murderer or drug user.” If someone is not going to church they are not living according to Hebrews 3:13 and 10:24,25. The bible says to not be unequally yoked. ever seen two animals unequally yoked. One does all the work and pulls the other along. If they don’t work together they do not get very far and just tire.

Keep living for Jesus. That is single most attractive thing in anyone. A godly man and woman are attractive to each other. A godly man will not be attracted to an ungodly lady.

I would not be so quick to discount websites. A lady in the Bible study I lead who is 70 will marry a man in July this year. She met him through eharmony.com. He is a great godly man. Before she ever met him she told me that she knew more about him than she probably ever knew about her husband. They have quite an extensive questionnaire.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Christian Education. Her Bachelor's was in Christian Ministry. Her first stole was red, and her second is blue. I suggested she get her doctorate of humane letters (white stole) so she could be patriotic. [​IMG]

15. Mitsy

Mitsy New Member

"The only downside to this I see is the animosity that some of the single/30's - 40's males have toward me due to my success in this area. They would really like to be me, and the 30's - 40's females hate me because I'm not even remotely interested (intimately) in them and quite honestly neither are a lot of the males my age because as I've said previously - they're not what they used to be if they ever were to begin with."

After reading more of your posts, I have less sympathy for you and more distain for your overall attitude (or self-worship) about dating. Since you obviously realize that you don't have any problem getting dates, then what is your beef? That the 20-somethings don't make good potential "wife material"? I'm 43 but do not look it. I've always been interested in guys either around my own age (not much older) or even a few years younger, but I don't write someone off totally on the age factor either. If you don't want to "lead anyone on" then do not flirt or give the wrong message to anyone you're not interested in. I've seen this game played WAY too many times. The guy acts interested, but once you show any interest BACK, they are no longer interested. They want only the chase. That is so unfair to women, but I see it happen all the time. It's happened to me more than once. Men seem to get their jollies out of this game playing mentality, and it stinks BIG time.

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Interestingly, I'm a 30's - 40's male (I'm 38), and my girlfriend is 27. I've found that there's a fair amount jealousy among other singles of my age. I dunno why. She just happens to be the person God put before me. I've dated a lot of immature women my own age.

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If one reads Porverbs they will realize that success comes and goes.

James says that life is but a vapor.

It's not about us being successful but about giving God all the glory for everything we have or don't have. It's not about success. It's about who is my God. Success will never measure up to what will last for eternity.

Take a look at what John wrote in 3 Jn 4: "I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth."

Making disciples is the greatest joy a person can possibly have. It does not compare to any success anywhere else.

18. Xingyi Warrior

Mitsy I can assure you that I am not leading anyone on. I am 34 years old and was married for 9 years. My wife and I did not seperate because of infidelity. She left me at the goading of an ovecontrolling, manipulative mother who got it in for me. I love her very much, but realize that it's over and now I must get on with my life. Again I do NOT lead anyone on. I have gotten more phone numbers from waitresses that have waited on me in restaurants than I can count. I've had my rear end grabbed by female co-workers as many times, and I've gotten overt sexual advances from two women who were upstanding church members. Regardless of Scott's views on pheromones (I threw that out just as an idea) I don't know what the heck is going on. Sure I'm a good looking, physically fit male, but in my opinion there are many more men in my church that are better catches than I. But I get the hits, they don't. And as I said before, it isn't relegated to the church. Last weekend I bought a gift for a family member who was having a birthday at a mall shop. The lady who waited on me was very nice looking. Before the transaction had ended she had sold me the item for cost (what they paid for it) and gave me her business card with her home and cell phone# and asked me what I was doing later. I have to ask you is this the norm? I'm as confused as anyone. Oh, I know that there are many people who "feel my pain" - my church is full of them. The contention starts when I get these kind of reactions in church from ladies and I have to say no. Most of them I'm simply not interested in for the reasons previously outlined. I'm not going to go back over them. Fair or not, I have my pick. Put yourselves in my shoes for a second. You have a choice between spending an evening with a Britney Spears lookalike who is intelligent, chatty,light hearted and appreciates someone experienced (like me) who knows how to treat a lady and as such returns the gratitude. Or you can spend it with someone who might be intelligent, but has a physique resembling what you would expect out of someone as old as your mother, needs about 50% more makeup than shes currently wearing, and sits around and gripes and complains about her tired, worn out life(that is mostly a result of her crappy choices),her unrealized goals, her PMS, how someone "did her wrong"..... I could go on all night. The sad fact is that ladies my age in my particular setting have far too much baggage, and hey I understand cause I have some myself. But I don't dump it on people who have nothing to do with it and who represent probably the only means of effectively keeping my sanity while dealing with it. So whats the problem...I tell them no. Well none of the other men want them either. And the ladies (who would like to have me) get ticked when the see me walking around and enjoying my life with "Brittney", and the men get equally ticked because I can do it and they can't. Trust me I would love to just ditch the groups that I'm in now but I can't because the church has deemed that because I have the number 34 attached to my age that is where I belong. It's really not that complicated for them. If the women in my age group would just shuck the attitudes they could probably pick up on some of the other guys (they're not getting me). But as I said they don't want them either. They want what I've got but for some reason I am successful and they're not. I have to strongly disagree with the poster who alluded to the possibility that I'm afraid of a "secure woman". Dude, I could have a woman right now who makes twice what I do and live in her 6 bedroom home, drive a Mercedes... sound intriguing. I don't want her. I'm not attracted to her, and as far as I'm concerned she has nothing to offer me other than material possesions. What does frighten me is a woman whose ambitions are such that I will eventually be in the way of them - an albatross or weight around their neck. I guess thats the crux of the matter. I feel as though that with these women (most of whom are career women and succesful at it) I'm just a means to an end - their ends. I'm just another promotion or shopping spree, or whatever. Thats how I feel when I'm around them and they're after me. With the "Brittneys" at least I feel like they are interested in not only what I can do for them but what they can do for me. They haven't been jaded, and with their personalities I don't see them being that way. It seems that it is a hallmark of my generation.

19. Xingyi Warrior

I'll tell you why. Men typically get more attractive to younger women as they age. Women value love and security and men who are mature experienced and can meet their emotional needs more readily than can the dolts that are younger. But as you and I know soem are more successful than others and many in my church would argue that few get all the success.
    Women conversely get less attractive to men as they age. Men are strongly visual. It's really no big leap. Nice, virtuous women are always an item but the ones that get the most attention from us guys are the more physically pleasing ones. A woman with a bad attitude is a no go all the way around wether she's pretty or not. I do agree with you about the "mature" aspect of the 30-40s women. In fact as mentioned earlier about the "secure woman" I've honestly never met a bunch of less secure females in my life. It's not all their fault as in my case they are competing with a really nice woman ("Brittney",I call her that because she bears an uncanny resemblence to the real one")and however unfair it is - "Brittney" looks good in a swimsuit and most of them don't. The singles that hold animosity for you simply wish they were you. They don't want 2nd hand stuff anymore than anyone else but for some reason they don't have the same success as you and it makes them resentful. I liken it to looking for a new car in a junkyard. There is a reason that no one drives those cars anymore. I don't attribute my success to my physical atttributes although I am physically fit and, good looking. But in my opinion it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Life isn't fair and the relationship game can be a minefield. My advice to a lot of the people who don't have success in this area would be to take a good look at themselves. Ask yourself "Just how marketable am I". "What could I do to improve my situation?" You may be a 39 year old woman who has had children and doesn't have the figure of "Brittney" but you can exercise and improve your condition and possibly your chances of getting someones attention. Remember, while God will give someone as a gift to you - he's also giving you as a gift to them as well. What kind of a gift are you? Would you feel Ok giving someone a gift like yourself? I mean this may sound callous but I don't know how else to put it. Any man in my position when faced with similar choices I believe would do the same thing that I am.

20. Mitsy

Mitsy New Member

I still think you have a lot of issues that make you sound shallow (and that looks are the MOST important trait in a relationship). I will agree that it is not fair to you or someone else to go out with someone who is TOTALLY not attractive to you, but I think you are looking mainly at the Brittni's of the world while ignoring say...the Debra Baron's (from Everyone Loves Raymond) or some of the lesser known celebrity-looking people. There ARE attractive people in between the Brittni's and the Dr. Ruth lookalikes in the world. There are sooooo many people in between, but you will probably overlook someone who is in between because they don't turn you on (physically). The Brittni's are young enough that they will be looking for someone else (maybe their own age) later. And I was nearly 40 years old before I figured out that part of the attraction (at least for me) is having a guy I can really talk to. That makes him more attractive to me, physically and otherwise. I had a guy who was pretty good looking, but he was selfish, immature and could talk ONLY about the things he was interested in. The world revolved around HIM. After it was over, I could see men in a totally new light. If there is no substance there, if they are so self-absorbed and ego-centered, then no decent woman is going to want them (long-term anyway). Guess what? My ex has dated no one since our breakup 4 years ago. Smart women don't waste their time on guys who have those traits. I'm sorry it took me so many years to figure that out.

In the meantime, I've quit trying to have a mental picture of what type is attractive to me or not. You really don't know until you get to know someone. I've met many attractive people (both male and female) who weren't quite so good looking after I got to know them. Same can be said for the average-looking (at first glance) people; many times they are more attractive after you get to know them. Sometimes we limit God when we want ONLY the Brittni's or the JFK, Jr. lookalikes. (This goes along with friendships as well as dating relationships.) There are many people worth getting to know in between.