1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My response to someones question regarding slain in the spirit, video link

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Jun 14, 2008.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

2. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

I like what you had to say.

I am not a big proponent of the whole "slain in the spirit" deal. I don't find this modern phenomenon practiced by the NT church in Scripture.

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe that Pentecostals fall under the same heresy that Montanus fell under in the early church. In fact it was one of the earliest heresies in christian history. Up there next to gnosticism. Unfortunately, Tertullian fell under this same heresy. If you study the Montanus movement you find stricking similarities. Such as extreme living by the Montanist deprevation for their bodies. And pentecostalism comes from the holiness movement in the US. Second baptism (non scriptural) in the Holy Spirit. And false prophesies. Though it's hard to tie down a pentecostal with their prophetic messages because they're pretty general. Their services sometimes are disorderly going against Pauls letter to I believe the Corinthians. They are also reliant on emotion. Note how the songs they sing build and are very repetative causing the singers to create a euphoric feeling by hyperventalation. A natural high mistaken for the Holy Spirit. Often Health and wealth "gospels" come out of these movements. They call it "Name it and claim it" I call it "blab it and grab it." I guess these services are fun in a sense because people release inhibitions (appropiately but in some instances not so muc) and all require a belief in Arminianism. They don't have the assurance of OSAS that baptist do. They are always looking for the miracle as well. Now there are good people that adhere to this faith (Tertullian included) I believe they are a danger to our society.

4. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

I do not find it either, I have had bad experiences with that already. I mean, I have felt that power of God and just fell to my knees before his presence but never fell like its shown. I went to a Service this past Thursday and it shocked me, I mean..... the word of GOD was not read once in the whole service. It was just the Pastor praying for the people, they would just come up and call you up and when you went up for prayers, most fell down. When he prayed for me, sure I felt something...wont lie.... but as the video will tell you, he was moving my whole body in a circle motion and then let go while I was going back, I knew better and didnt flow with the motion... I didnt allow myself to fall back just to please the crowd... God forbid.. that is just crazy.

If God wants to touch someone and throw them to the ground, God does not need catchers. I guarantee you that if someone really falls because God has touched them, nothing will happen to them. So these catchers who catch people when they fall, I dont know why they are there, most fall because they know they are being caught, if they knew they wouldnt be caught, they wouldnt fall.