1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My Review of "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Johnv, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

OKAY, HERE'S MY REVIEW:

Anticipation of this movie has been somewhat high for me. I first read the book in 6th grade, and still ahve special childhood memories associated with the story. My bigest worry was the amount of dramatic license that would be used to flesh out a 2 hour movie that, if held strictly to the book, might run just over an hour. Well, my worries were for nothing.

The on screen depiction is filled out so faithfully that only a person who has committed the book to memory will be able to discern what is strictly book and what is written for the screenplay. The movie starts with a brief backstory that sets the mood of WW2 England and the mental condition that four children of that era would have been put in. The four actors who play the parts of Peter, Edmund, Susan, and Lucy are perfectly cast. In fact, Susan and Peter were exactly as I had pictured them in my mind's eye as a sixth grader too many years ago. The CGI is so flawless, It took me several scenes before I realized that there's no way human legs could fit into "fawn pants". Mr Tumnus is incredibly convincing, and between him and the bevers, there's just the right amount of much needed comic relief. The White Witch is so convincing that one would have no problem believing that Satan can appear as an angel of light (I don't know if that was in Lewis' mind when he wrote her, but, intended or not, the biblical point is well made).

Then there's Aslan. Again, I can't say enough about the CGI. He looks like a real lion in every single scene. Plus, the voice of Lliam Neeson does for Aslan what James Earl Jones does for Darth Vader or Mufasa. I can't think of a more perfect voice to fit the part. In the climactic sacrifice scene (which everyone knows is coming, at least the adults do), the depth of the symbolism here is so well and reverently done (plus the fact that Edmund's prior deception is so well depicted on screen by the young actor who portrays him) that one truly comprehends the Christian messages of laying one's life for one's friends, not to mention the weight of having someone else pay the price for our wrongdoings.

And then there are the battle scenes. Very Lord-of-the-Rings-ish, except for one difference: Not a single moment of blood, gore, or overt violence. I must give the cinematographers kudos for this. They do a great job of breaking the story of the "written for kids" limitation, while still keeping the onscreen depictions of the battle family friendly without being watered down.

There are some very funny one-liners in this movie, some directly from the book, and some added (though, again, the added material is so faithful, one forgets wher the book ends and the screenplay begins). Susan's comment about the "Adam's flesh and Adam's bone" prophecy not rhyming is a hoot. Then there's a funny punch by Lucy who, after a visit from Father Christmas, tells Peter "I told you he was real!".

I could go on and on. But I'd only be giving some of the minor surprises away. Suffice it to say that the anticipation is well deserved. This movie truly and faithfully keeps to the book, in both letter and spirit. Not a single stroke of Lewis' pen is compromised, and the few items of dramatic license that deaprt from the book are so unnoticeable that you think they were intended to be that way in the first place. In fact, I didn't even notice until the next morning. The moral themes of the book remain intact, and the casting only serves to add to the depth of the written story. This, truly, is the way CS Lewis would have done it, in every detail.

OH, btw, after the credits start rolling, stay in the theater. There's a cute scene with Lucy and the Professor that is inserted between a few of the credit rolls.

Oh, and parents, this film is suitable for all ages from, I'd say, 6 and up. Any younger than that, and I don't think they'll have any comprehension of the story. It's appropriate for ages 6 to 166. Take the whole family. You won't be disappointed.

Now, if you'll all excuse me, I'm getting too old for midnight showings. I'm going to go take a nap now...

[​IMG]

[editted title for sleep-typing beauty]

[ December 10, 2005, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob ]

2. James Flagg

James Flagg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The LOIN, . . ."?

Have you been watching late-night Cinemax again? [​IMG]

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Like I said: midnight showing... sleep deprivation... must ... rest.... eyes heavy....

4. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Overall a very good movie. Perfect for the age group it's intending. Probably not enough gore for the 17 year olds, though. But I like it a lot. It is a very good movie, and I recommend that parents take their children, then sit down with them and read the book. You'll get even more out of the book.

But they left out one of my favorite lines.....at the Beavers', one of the girls asks "Is he safe?" and Beaver answers "Safe? Of course he's not safe. But he's good."

5. whatever

whatever New Member

Yep, they left that line out and then put something similar at the end, but it was not as effective IMO. But the movie was still very well done. The beavers were excellent.

6. nate

nate New Member

CG was excellent. The fight scenes were intense. I'm 17 and actually enjoyed this film a lot. It was refreshing not to see a lot of gore.(I do enjoy this occasionally but if I want gore I can watch Black Hawk Down or someother war movie)I have also never read the Chronicles I have some of C.S. Lewis's other books but not the Chronicles series. I'm getting all 7 for Christmas now. C.S. Lewis has to be one of the best authors of fiction of all time.Great story incredible world. I also thought the beavers and wolves were done extremely well. Watch Day After Tomorrow and you will terrible CG wolves but Chronicles got them perfect.The Children were also good actors. Can't wait for the sequel. 2 Thumbs Up.

7. bapmom

bapmom New Member

nate,
    just a word of advice.....the book "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" starts out rather slow, but don't get discouraged...it picks up. And the rest of the books build on each other, so you really need to read them in order to get the full effect.

[​IMG]

8. nate

nate New Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll start with Magicians Nephew and read through them in order.

9. nate

nate New Member

I have to post my favorite line from the movie. It would be when the White Witch comes into Asalan's camp and demands that Edwards blood be spilt to pay for his treachery. She starts to tell Asalan about the law and he roars don't tell me about the law witch I was there when it was given. I couldn't stop thinking about John 1 it was great.

10. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Some Catholics see Christ in a wafer, or even a water stain on a bridge. Go figure....

11. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Couldn't agree with you more, John.

The best part about the movie was that I got into a conversation about it with some folks in line for the concession stand and got to share the Gospel with them.

I explained the parallels with the Gospel and that Aslan represented Jesus. I'm hoping that the movie will plant seeds with them.

There are very few movies that I would care to own on DVD. This is one of them.

I try not to overspiritualize things, but I just could not be more convinced that this is something that God has His hand on.

I don't believe that the Disney folks would have ever started out to make such a powerful opportunity for evangelism, but they sure did end up doing just that.

12. jw

jw New Member

I saw the movie on Saturday and loved it! The Christian themes were very clear and the story and special effects were enjoyable.

What's more, after leaving the movie I found myself reflecting on the we way Lewis illustrated the various themes and appreciating what Christ had done for me. And this may come as a shock to some here, but at no point did I feel like joining a cult or practicing witchcraft! It didn't even make me want to go buy a copy of The Message to use for devotions! ;)

But in all seriousness, it was a great movie, and I hope they do the other 6. A friend of mine took his kids to see it this weekend, and I was amazed how much his oldest (about 4) got out of the movie.

13. mioque

mioque New Member

Well yes, there are even Roman Catholics who see Jezus in each poor and deprived person they meet, now there is a viewpoint that is unpopular among certain baptist factions....

Back on topic, plan on seeing that film on the largest screen I can find.

14. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

My wife and I took my seven year old grandson to see Narnia this evening. I have never seen him react to a movie like he reacted to this one. He absolutely loved it. When Lucy gave Edmund the potion to cure his wounds near the end of the film, he started applauding and set off a chain reaction in the theater. It was awesome and I cant wait fot the next one.

15. In His Grace

In His Grace New Member

Went to see the movie today.

I Loved every bit of it!

The story, the cast, Lucy did an excellent job.

16. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

A great movie. The actors were all very good. Two thumbs up, five out of five stars. It's also a very family freindly movie, but may be a bitt too scary for some younger children.