1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My review of the Passion

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Brother Adam, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Forever settled in heaven

so far i haven't offered any "critical condemnation" on "a visual adaptation of scriptural stories but add things or subtract things that are not in scripture."

that's becos that's an honest representation to begin with.

nobody argues that the caveless nativity scenes that r an anachronous conflation of Matthew n Luke r "historically accurate" n the gtest thing since 2,000 yrs ago n unlikely to be bested in the next couple of centuries. i haven't seen any such claims so far.

but yeah, even for nativity scenes, one shd strive to be as faithful to the revealed Word as possible n not indulge in voyeuristic fantasies of what mighta coulda happened. r u aware of any pageants based on the canonical gospels n their Emmerich equivalent--namely the apocryphal gospels, e.g. Gospel of Joseph the Carpenter or 1st/2nd Infancy Gospel?

2. michelle

michelle New Member

Peace and love to you all in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour!

Grace,

I am not judging you. I do not know what is in your heart, only God does. I am only trying to bring the light of the truth regarding this movie to a biblical and proper christian perspective. I am sorry you took this as judging you, which in no way am I trying to do. I do think that we can be faithful and thankful to the Lord our God without having any visual aids, for this is what faith is all about. If no one sounds the trumpet on these things, many will probably be decieved and fall into bondage of the Roman Catholic church through ecumenical methods, and attitudes of tolerance because of the subtleties presented in the film. Deception is a real thing, and it happens on the unsuspecting. I only say these things to you and others because I love you and care about my brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus our Lord. This is the truth. It is commendable to see and acknowledge good things, and look at things positively. But I fear, that we also will put ourselves (and others) in a vulnerable position to be decieved, if we do not put all things to the test of the scriptures first.

I hope you understand that I am not judging you, and I pray the Lord will bless you abundantly.

love in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour,
    michelle

3. BrianT

BrianT New Member

There are many (most?) that think the Passion is very good, but not the greatest thing since 2000 years ago. Of those that have, most are just excited that there is finally a movie about Christ instead of talking monkeys or futuristic robots or college shenanigans full of sex and swearing. Many are drawn closer to God, their relationship with Him improved and strengthened through renewed appreciation of what Christ did. NO ONE is saying they MUST see this movie to be renewed, and that scripture is inadequate. Should they feel that your opposition to an extreme view of the movie is directed at them? You are very unclear in who your posts are directed at, and what exact point you are trying to make. You come across as directly opposing and mocking anyone who thinks the movie is good.

Your earlier comments were not only about apocryphal gospels, but about adding/subtracting from scripture at all. How much adding/subtracting from scripture is allowed before you give your golden seal of approval? The Christmas concerts at our church done by the kids are often *extremely* exaggerated. We've had Christmas pagents with talking animals, private investigators using time machines, "three wise guys", a robot, etc. Not exactly your "straight from scripture" presentations.

I think of VeggieTales. Many think the VeggieTale videos are "the greatest thing" as well. Their presentations of scriptural stories are drastically less scripturally accurate than most Christian productions. I do not recall ever seeing your enthusiastic opposition to these and other such visual productions of scriptural events.

I think you guys that keep hollering about The Passion are inconsistent and judgmental. I'm sorry, as I know we are pretty good friends, but that's how I feel, and the constant ranting and raving is really tearing me and others down.

4. Grace

Grace New Member

This will be my last post about the "Passion." I don't believe that it is as powerful on its own. It meant a lot to me because I went in already knowing what I believed. It was just helpful to me, a visual learner, to get a mental picture. I will tell my children, when they are old enough, (this is assuming I have any) the kind of death Jesus died...and quite possibly show them "Passion" if I think that at the time they can handle it.
    I am tired of the division over this, and will withdraw from the argument. It serves no purpose other than to divide believers. Lets agree to disagree and let God work through our love and not limit Him in our arguments.

Blessings to all,
    Grace

5. vaspers

vaspers New Member