1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My thoughts on Calvinism.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by pLug, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Reformed;
    1. Do all men have a choice?

Nothing dishonest about asking this question is there?

2. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

You think you're trapping him, but you're about to get owned.

3. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

OK, but then we have to clarify what we are calling "Calvinism" then. Each of these differing interpretations of it considers itself to be the "true" Calvinism. I remember many arguing for it here saying that "Whoever He died for WILL become saved" and implying "the reason why one received Christ is because God regenerated him, and the reason the other did not receive Christ is because God passed him over". These still clained "single-predestination", but others are more strictly Double-Predestination. I always responded to the charge that non-Calvinists are trying to make God easy to understand, that Calvinism does it too when it claims to be able to explain the "how"s of salvation from God's perspective like that. Now you're saying we can't know why one does not respond, and that I can go along with. But others will say that is not really Calvinism.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Why don't you answer if you are so smart?

He has been trying to own me for 2 days and not made it yet.

#24 Brother Bob, Nov 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2006
  5. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

You can not own an intellectually dishonest person such as bob.

People do make choices bob. We are responsible for our choices. We do not make amoral choices. God's providence will be such that when we make choices, they will always be consistent with His decreed will. God is omniscient bob. The future exists as God knows it bob. There really are no variables in our choices bob. We will always choose in a manner that will be consistent with God's decreed will. That is not libertarian free will bob. I don't expect you to understand this or even if you do to be intellectually honest about it.

6. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

OK.

Here goes. You ready?

I don't know, and niether do you.

7. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Well, perhaps it isn't hyperCalvinism, but it is certainly Reformed theology, which is based upon Calvinism.

I recommend "Christian Doctrine" by Shirley Guthrie and "Basic Christian Doctrine" by John Lieth. Both were excellent professors of theology in Reformed schools, and do a very good job of explaining it.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Hard to debate someone that don't know anything you must not be a Calvinist they know everything.

9. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I know how to use punctuation.

So... convince me you do know.

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Thats ok, I don't think you and I are compatible.
    If I need a grammar lesson or want one, you be the first I will ask.

Anyway, why should I when you don't know whether they do or don't?

11. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Well, you're positioning yourself as someone who kows more than I do. I want to know if this is so, and if so, how.

And as for grammar, my lessons are unsolicited and free.

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The unsolicited part is what I like. You are the one who threw yourself into a debate between Reformed and myself without solicitation.

Positioning myself to say I know more than you. Did you make that up or read it on "google"?

I believe all men have a choice that is for sure.

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

1 Timothy 2:3-6 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Romans 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

1 John 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.

#32 Brother Bob, Nov 1, 2006
  13. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

That's your opinion!
    I like His better and think I'll choose to abide in Him!

14. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have Guthrie. He was very good on this and other subjects.
    Still, there are many Reformed who belive those things you are denying, and those who said them rejected the term "HyperCalvinist". In fact; I see it is something Calvinists of all stripes throw at any version of the doctrine more radical than their own, as Vance (Other Side of Calvinism) pointed out.

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Do Calvinist believe that when God gives a Command to a person, that person hears/receives the command?

#35 Brother Bob, Nov 1, 2006
  16. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Sad...but very true.

17. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Didn't you know..Bob knows it all. :)

However...I may take you up on those lessons. :)

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

That is why Jauthor is here to try to learn some more from me. I been teaching him for some time now. He is slow though.:) But with patience we posses our souls.

#38 Brother Bob, Nov 1, 2006
  19. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I don't see anything in those verses which denies Reformed theology.

Here's why I said "I don't know and niether do you": choice and predetermination (to one degree or another) are both supported in Scripture. We know that God is sovereign, that God's purpose will be accomplished, and that God's purpose has already been determined. We also know that humankind has a choice, and free will. What we do not and can not know is how these seemingly contradictory realities coexist.

That, my friend, is the definition of "mystery."

20. Blammo

Blammo New Member

If that is Calvinism, I am a Calvinist!!!

However, I think you left a few details out, and I am not a Calvinist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.