1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My thoughts on Calvinism.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by pLug, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Calvinism the person on the inside CAN't open the door and WON't choose to open the door while Christ is on the OUTSIDE.

In Calvinism Christ stands at SOME doors and "knocks them down".

In Calvinism fellowship - union with Christ must happen BEFORE the one on the inside can open the door - because in Calvinism it is Christ that opens the door for himself!

2. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

If you say so. That's Calvinism from the Reformed perspective, whether you think so or not.

3. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Ridiculous.

Way to twist and misread both Scripture and Calvinism at once. Don't sprain anything.

You're making me dizzy with all of this conclusion-jumping. Call me back when you want to engage in discussion, mmmk?

4. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Well, I guess you can call me "Reformed" then. (I won't)

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I don't think the Calvinist know what they type on here. After telling them what they said they say: huh!!!!

6. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

This is not true. After all these years of debating Calvinist, I would think you would know what we believe.

1st this is not even talking about salvation. But lets say it is. The sinner in the Calvinist model cannot open the door, because he is blinded to the truth. In this case, the Holy Spirit working in the life of the unbelieve is awaken to the truth(hears the knocking) then he understands why he needs Christ, and then opens the door. Before one understands a need, they will not open the door. Christ does not open the door as you claim. If you are going to tell everyone what Calvinism is, please understand it. The Holy Spirit gives understanding so that this one now sees his need to open the door to Christ.

However...this is not talking about salvation. We may be able to apply the idea to salvation, but that is it.

7. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I say "huh?" Only because your posts are incomprehensible. Try saying what you are saying with better grammar, and perhaps we can understand what you say.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

hmmm, You understood that!

Too bad you can't read. Been on here for going on 6000 posts and you first one who said anything about my grammar. Of course there is always a few in every crowd.

Proverbs 26:12 Seest thou a man wise in his own conceit? there is more hope of a fool than of him.

You ever hear of a "educated fool"?

As fools, people try to act smart, until they find that they are acting over smart, which can happen at any point in time, if time was endless for a person's life, that is. Now naming some educated fools, (Maybe I better not) Because of the existence of the fact that Ink can dirty their clothes, when the pen is inkless. Such is the greatness of the Educated Fools

#48 Brother Bob, Nov 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2006
  9. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

You're right. The problem isn't your atrocious grammar, it's your passive aggressive pseudo-attack.

I'm waiting for substantive discussion, Bob, not prooftexting and insults.

10. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Point of fact, I think the verse cited itself isn't spaking of salvation per se, but of the repentance and reconciliation of a group of believers (Laodicea).

This is the danger in prooftexting; context is sometimes ignored for the sake of getting points.

11. pLug

pLug New Member

God is as gracious as he is all-powerful. To deny the fundamental, god-given element of choice is to deny an integral facet of our creator’s character. God values this choice so much that he introduced an antithesis of his ways into our reality system; sin i.e. our way.

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Maybe you should look in the mirror?

Lets see how you got into this discussion with me.
    1. I was posting with Reformed.
    2. You post and make a remark about if I was setting a trap for him he would run all over me.
    3. I then responded to your remark.

So, we see that it was you that inserted himself into a discussion between two other posters with a passive aggressive pseudo-attack. Then you tell me that my grammar is so bad you can't read it. Then you tell me that no that is not true, what you really meant was I had a passive agressive pseudo-attack attitude.

Summary;
    Who is the one who should of kept his mouth shut until someone asked him a question or at least be humble when entering the discussion?

Answer Tragic-pizza.

Solution: Go look in the mirror Tragic-pizza and get the mote out of your own eye then you can see clearly.

"You teach best what you most need to learn."

#52 Brother Bob, Nov 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2006
  13. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

This is precisely the kind of response I expected.

Good day.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Truth does hurt now don't it, but is necessary? Sometimes it takes blunt talk to put some back in their own place. Maybe you won't jump in on others discussions with smart remarks so quick anymore.

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobRyan
    In Calvinism the person on the inside CAN't open the door and WON't choose to open the door while Christ is on the OUTSIDE.

For once we agree - this accurate statement about 4 and 5 point Calvinism does show us that Calvinism is "rediculous".

Quote:
    In Calvinism Christ stands at SOME doors and "knocks them down".
    Your statement is "informative" in that it does not actually say anything at all. That is "instructive" as it represents the heart of Calvinism for many.

Quote:
    In Calvinism fellowship - union with Christ must happen BEFORE the one on the inside can open the door - because in Calvinism it is Christ that opens the door for himself!
    In fact I would argue that the fact-devoid consistency of your responses so far show you to be almost "tipsy" not just "dizzy".

But "Old Regular" was good enough to admit to these facts for 4 and 5 point Calvinism - so 'the cat is out of the bag" as they say.

Claiming to be "dizzy" as you do - does not change that.

In Christ,

Bob

16. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I've said my piece, Bob. If you want to address my points, rather than propping up straw men, then please do so. Otherwise you may count me out of this "discussion."

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You never made any points that I know of, just remarks about me.

18. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Then you haven't been paying attention, have you?

Remarks existed before your straw men were propped up, my friend. Read and learn.

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

not much..........I was just talking to someone else. I don't think I have ever addressed you before that I can remember but you felt the need to inject yourself into my conversation with someone else and I still don't know why.

#59 Brother Bob, Nov 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2006
  20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One thing that is certifiable is that many if not most Calvinists don't like owning up to CAlvinism when in discussion with non-Calvinists.

They love to "pretend" that "nobody knows what they believe" as a way to dodge all honest direct dialoge about the gaffs blunders and flaws of Calvinism.

Typically those who fall into that trap resort to gaming, gimmicks, ad hominem retorts "instead" of solid attention to detail and responding with "substance".

They usually try to defend that practice by blaming their own flawed antics on others.

And so these exchanges go down hill of that type of Calvinist is the only one "on the line" for a while.

Buyer beware.

In Christ,

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.