1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My thoughts on Calvinism.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by pLug, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hello Bob,

Maybe we need to address these matters so that all will really know what you are talking about.

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A good start would be to review the exchanges TP has been having and the detailed responses TP gives when specific points in Calvinism are challenged.

A short reading project of 3 or 4 small posts begins here
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=889749&postcount=55

It is left as an exercise for the reader - to see the glaring truth of the point I made in my previous post about the matter.

In Christ,

Bob

#62 BobRyan, Nov 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2006
  3. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I see no reason to comment further. Your accusations are, at least from the Reformed understanding of theology, baseless straw men.

If one were to pretend that the verse in Revelation to which you cite were referencing salvation (which it is not), one would note (as I have repeatedly) that Christ knocks. We don't knock on Christ's door, as many Evangelicals would apparently insist.

God has done all of the work neccesary for our reconciliation, up to and including calling us to that reconciliation. We do indeed choose to respond; however, to think that the response must be the "Sinners Prayer" or walking the aisle or some such is not only ridiculous, it is not Scriptural.

Your attacks are not only spurious, they are drawn against such a maligned and misrepresented form of Calvinism that they are almost comedic -- would, in fact, be funny were you to have any sense of timing and rhythm.

Now, once again, I have said my piece, and I challenge you to address the things I have posted, not some fantasyland idea of Reformed theology your preacher taught you about.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

How? By opening the door to our heart and letting Christ come in when He knocks?

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    Of all Bob Ryan knows the least what he's talking about.

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We do indeed choose to respond ...
    Christ knocks. That explains everything whether He is received or rejected. Christ Jesus to the reprobate is a smell unto death; to the elect an odour unto life. But respond everyone shall respond and bend the knee, either under damnation of in awe of salvation.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If you believe that and we have a choice to receive Him or reject Him then I see no problem with your belief as long as He knocks at the door of the hearts of all men.
    We too believe the Spirit of God strives with all men and if we receive or reject that Spirit to receive life or by rejection receive death for the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life. amen,

Seems to make man the one who decides to open the door or not?

#67 Brother Bob, Nov 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2006
  8. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I have no idea, and niether do you.

Perhaps God does, and some humans for some reason do not respond. Perhaps God does not.

The definition of "a mystery of faith."

It is, after all, OK not to know everything there is to know about God.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You just posted you did know!
    Now you say you have no idea.

I agree in the mystery of faith and we don't know everything. I am glad that you believe that too.

10. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

What? Have you bothered learning to read English yet?

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

What part do I have wrong and I will repost your statement?

Why you Calvinist so mean?

12. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Because you're so dense.

The part you have wrong is wherever you imagine I said I know everything and then turned around and said I did not. Clear that one up, and try very hard to do so in English.

13. BD17

BD17 New Member

Love the qouting of verses with no context to back it up. Classic Brother Bob debate tactics. He is the Founder of Burger King Theology... Have it your way.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You wear yours on your shirt sleeve. Stupidity that is. Maybe you need to grow up before getting on these debate forums.
    God has done all of the work neccesary for our reconciliation, up to and including calling us to that reconciliation. (We do indeed choose to respond)
    Perhaps God does, and some humans for some reason do not respond. Perhaps God does not.

Originally Posted by Brother Bob

TP
    If you believe that and we have a choice to receive Him or reject Him then I see no problem with your belief as long as He knocks at the door of the hearts of all men.

Opposite

TP
    I have no idea, and niether do you.

You said we had a choice and then said you had no idea weather we did or not.

[/quote]

This will be my last post with you and if you see me post to someone else please do not jump in anymore for it will not be addressed to you. I don't care to debate with small School children. Thank you, :thumbs:

#74 Brother Bob, Nov 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2006
  15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Typical "God's Love" by a Calvinist. Wonder how you talk with God at night before going to sleep if you do?

16. Blammo

Blammo New Member

The verses are not good enough for you, eh? You need some big, wise, theological words along with them? Do you have a specific problem with any of the verses Bob posted, or were you just looking for an opportunity to use your clever little phrase "Burger King Theology"?

17. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

What I said, Bob, was that the function of choice as it applies to the sovereignty of God is a mystery. Some choose, some do not. Does God call some, and not others, or do some choose against? And if God is indeed God, how can someone resist God's grace, which is irresistible? I don't know. Niether do you. That was my point. Choice is a function, but how it is a function is a mystery.

Wearing your heart on your sleeve is an art. On the plus side, you were at least able this time to use complete sentences, proper tense, and punctuation.

Go off in a snit, but understand that the debate is not, cannot be, either/or. God is much larger than you try to make God out to be. God cannot be completely comprehended, and attempts to do so consistently end up in error.

18. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Context seems to be the salient phrase here. Look it up.

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I would much rather go off in a snit than to go off talking as if I were head and shoulders above everyone else. Do you really think anyone care whether you think our english or grammar is good or not. You are a self-centered wanna be.

20. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

It has nothing to do with superiority and everything to do with comprehensibility. Half the time you post as if you are speaking another language, which makes conversation difficult. Be hurt and oh-so-martyred if you want to be, but those are the facts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.