1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My website stats: can someone explain...

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by shodan, Apr 13, 2011.

1. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

I don't know much about websites so please bear with me. I haven't paid much attention to the stats page. My 'daughter' in Romania put up the site.

I get less than 300 'unique visitors' a month. Yet every month i've checked shows over 1000 hits where someone gets an HTML code instead.

e.g.for this March:
    HTTP Status codes* Hits Percent Bandwidth
    404 Document Not Found 681 59.4 % 900.09 KB
    301 Moved permanently (redirect) 439 38.3
    Codes shown here gave hits or traffic "not viewed" by visitors, so they are not included in other charts.

And last Nov. when I ran a ten dollar ad for my book and had over 2600 'unique visitors' I also had this:
    HTTP Status codes* Hits Percent Bandwidth
    301 Moved permanently (redirect) 2955 76.7 % 1.29 MB
    404 Document Not Found 788 20.4 %

Does that mean that all those people who got these codes never saw the website?

Not sure what all this means. Can someone exlplain it in simple terms?
    Thank you for any help.

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hits means all hits while unique hits probably indicates unique contacts and each unique contact visited other pages.

The page not found messages would indicate people are looking for pages that are not there.

Have you checked each of your pages to see if you can load them yourself?
    or
    Have you had pages that you have taken down over time that someone might have been looking for?

Email the info to your server and they should be able to give you more/more correct info than I can give :)

Also, when search engines visit you they are a unique contact and they will snoop all pages that are linked.

I used to get 14,000 hits but several thousand were search engines.