1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured My wife's beliefs about hell

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by SmalltownPastor, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

The wife telling the church that she believes in universal restoration could very well cause SmalltownPastor to lose his pastorate.

I agree with RevMitchell on this one... Let her keep silent in the Church.

2. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I realize that possibility, and I would not want that to happen. But I think his loyalty should be to his wife.

If I was a woman, I wouldn't want to be the spouse of some of you, being that you apparently would put loyalty to the church above loyalty to your wife.

#22 Thomas Helwys, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No disloyalty has been suggested. As the spiritual leader of his home he needs to lead here in this according to scripture. She can effect his ministry in a big way.

4. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Leading according to scripture is to love and respect his wife, not demand her silence. Her ministry is just as important as his.

5. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Truth is more important than the doctrine of universal restoration

6. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

And what I am advocating is the literal truth of scripture, which does not affirm eternal hell or universal restoration. Beyond what scripture literally teaches, I am unable and unwilling to go. Only God knows and can do that. Unfortunately, many Christians are not content with that.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are not co-pastors, only he is the pastor. Her ministry is to him and the family first. She is not called to ministry in the church the way he is. There is nothing suggested that is contrary to love and respect. But she needs to be in submission to him on this. If she is not then he needs to go ahead and step down.

8. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Didn't say they were co-pastors. But a man's first loyalty, after God, is to his wife, not the church or anyone else.

And, btw, the Bible teaches mutual submission.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And btw, no it doesn't. There is one leader of the home and that is the husband.

10. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Small town Pastor,

I had been a believer almost 20 years before I saw a preacher actually cry over the fect that without Christ people are lost and going to hell for eternity. He had some compassion on those who were without Christ and withour hope.

Your wife seems to be compassionate and hoping that this is the way it is. So I have no doubt that she is sincere and desires, like God, that no one should perish but all should come to repentence.

She obviously has deeply held beliefs that she has every right to believe. But she is also your wife and her life and ministry reflect on you, even more so in a small town and church. If her beliefs go against what your church stands for, you will be the one who will be in difficulty. So you both will have to come to some decision about how she and you will handle. You are her husband and you should allow her the freedom within your marriage to believe as she chooses. But you are also the Pastor and have a responsibility to protect the doctrinal integrity of the church.

I am praying for you. This is gonna be a hard one for you both.

11. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I know that, being a pastor, you are familiar with the scriptures that affirm mutual submission. So, are you being disingenuous by saying that the Bible doesn't affirm mutual submission?

Tell me, do you rule over your wife and demand that she listen to you? Is that how Christ loved the church?

12. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

A wise and sensible post.

13. SmalltownPastor

Thank you all for your advice and prayers. This is something that my wife and I have been talking about for a long time. We actually do have a great relationship, but this one issue has been a sticking point for awhile now.

I have. I actually wrote a paper in seminary about this very topic. I really wish she were correct, but I just can't find it in Scripture. The clear reading of Scripture is that the invitation to trust in Christ is only open to us during this life, and that there will be souls in Hell for all eternity.

I'm actually not too worried about her, but thanks for the support. I know she's a believer, and that her faith in and obedience to Christ are growing. I'm more concerned with my own failures in neglecting to lead her to the truth on this doctrine. And I'm worried about what her belief on this matter would mean for my pastorate.

She sees the wisdom in not teaching in the church, and she's okay with that. She certainly doesn't want her belief to backfire on me down the road ("You let her teach our children, and you knew all along?!?"). But she also thinks it's unfair that I would ask her to keep it to herself. She sees it as a wonderful way to comfort those who have lost unbelieving loved ones, and to rejoice in a God who gives His children unending chances to repent.

But she is also following my request and not talking about it, because she's aware of the possible ramifications in the church if she does.

Yes, I think that's exactly what it comes down to. And I actually still hold out hope that this is the way it is also. I'd love to see everyone end up in Heaven! But that's just not the clear reading of Scripture. I'd love to be wrong on this, but my conscious cannot allow it.

One thing that I'm encouraged by is how my wife recognizes that she could be wrong. She's not so dogmatic about it that she thinks there's no way I could be right. She recognizes that God would be perfectly just in allowing people to spend eternity in Hell, since He's holy and we're sinful. She just doesn't see how that would be consistent with God's love, purpose in creating us, and victory over evil.

Even still, she loves the song "Whatever my God ordains is right." And she recognizes that if God does condemn people to Hell for all eternity, it's only because this is right and good.

I kind of think we're all going to be in for a shock on some issue or another when we enter into eternity. I think she has the right attitude about it.