1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mystery Quote

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No fair googling.Who said the following?

"A false teacher has a dirty heart because it's never been cleansed by the true gospel of faith in Christ.A false teacher has a guilty conscience because his impure heart triggers it.But his conscience may have reached the point where it's so scarred that it's lost its sensitivity.And a false teacher has hypocritical faith.He's a phony -- he wears a mask. That kind of life will never produce the love of God. The goal of the false teacher is not to create an environment of love,but to feed his ego and fill his pockets."

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

No clue. I am guessing Piper. Now I shall google..lol

Update: Bah. that was my second guess.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The apostle Paul. :)

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep em'comin'.Play fair RB. Amy's "guess" was a compliment.The quote does come close to paraphrasing what Paul described as a false teacher though.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I had a guess, which turned out to be accurate. I won't give it away, however, - but -

Why am I not surprised, considering the timing?

Ed

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you do movie spoilers too Ed?

7. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

I'm going to guess that it's someone that has been the topic of about 25 threads created by Lou. :laugh:

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bingo! You nailed it.You didn't name him exactly;but you receive full credit.John MacArthur is the author of the quote in question.It's from a sermon called:How To Treat False Teachers,Part 1.

Lou doesn't just use him as a topic of discussion -- he regularly throws his flaming darts at him with reckless abandon.Since Lou has called JM a false teacher so often,I thought it may be appropriate for Mr. MacArthur to identify some characteristics of one.But,the trouble for Lou is,the quote does not describe JM.The reason?JM is NOT a false teacher. He's perhaps the most gifted Pastor/Teacher in the world.The Lord has raised him up as His instrument.Instead of wasting valuable time attacking a godly man who the Lord is using to extend His Kingdom -- Lou needs to focus on real false teachers who are indeed causing havoc.

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Aren't you glad I did not offer my guess? :D

Consider the pure irony of having to give credit to perhaps the strongest advocate of 'free grace' posting on the threads, here. (Yes, I am more of a strong advocate of the 'free grace' articulation than is either Lou Martuneac or webdog, in at least some aspects, not to brag, but to merely point that out.)

Now that woulda' been a huge 'kick in the head,' wouldn't it? :laugh:
    Nothing like being a huge fan of some individual, I guess, and anyone is free to be a fan of whomever he or she wishes, but this is, at best, your own opinion. Do you consider that just maybe 'the Lord may have also raised up some others "as His instrument," who offer a differing viewpoint [such as some of those 'free grace' types like Dr. Robert P. Lightner or Dr. Charles C. Ryrie (to name two individuals whose names have appeared on these threads and touched on this subject)], as well?' Or does one have to be of one particular persuasion, to qualify, here? :rolleyes:

(And I'm also fairly sure some others may be equally huge fans of some others, or at least I suspect that to be true, especially considering the 'pictures' I see posted and 'tag-lines' from some which are quoted at the bottom of posts.)

Kinda' like where you are, by association, by effectively defining my own beliefs as "sub-biblical (sic) or anti-biblical (sic)" as well as your offered conclusions about my "level of biblical (sic) weakness, that is alarming" in your eyes because I 'deny' "all five points of Calvinism", as summarily worded, and defined, is an opinion.

You may or may not be accurate in your appraisal, but it too, at best, represents only an opinion. And any and all are free to hold any and all such opinions, be they good or bad, at least IMO. ;)

Ed

#9 EdSutton, Aug 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2008
  10. Allan

Allan Active Member

(bold emphasis above - mine)

Oh most definately particular (pun intended) :tongue3: :laugh:

Sorry just couldn't resist that one!

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure the Lord raises up many folk for His purposes -- even evil ones.

I'm just sick n' tired of all the charges that Lou has applied to John MacArthur. I was sort of trying to even things out a bit.John MacArthur is not the be-all and end-all. He's been a devoted servant of the Lord for more than 40 years. He has been an instrument of the Lord ( not the only instrument) in leading countless people to Himself. He also has edified the Body of Christ for decades through his various ministries.

For someone to call him a false teacher,one who promotes a man-centered,man-pleasing,works-oriented different gospel is just too much to take week after week,month after month,year after year.

Kinda' like where you are, by association, by effectively defining my own beliefs as "sub-biblical (sic) or anti-biblical (sic)" as well as your offered conclusions about my "level of biblical (sic) weakness, that is alarming" in your eyes because I 'deny' "all five points of Calvinism", as summarily worded, and defined, is an opinion.
    [/quote]

I have never called you a heretic.I have not called your beliefs heretical.I have the right to believe that some ( not all or even most) of your doctrines are not biblical.To deny the 5 points is a rather good litmus test.It doesn't condemn one to everlasting perdition;it just evidences doctrinal weaknesses -- serious theological weaknesses.

You may or may not be accurate in your appraisal, but it too, at best, represents only an opinion. And any and all are free to hold any and all such opinions, be they good or bad, at least IMO. ;)
    [/quote]

Thank you for allowing me the freedom to express my opinion Ed.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ironic, because I have heard this very same thing said about me by calvinists on this board...including a bow-tied administrator. By claiming my beliefs to be "anti-biblical" you have basically said the same thing.
    So...something can be "sub-biblical" and "anti-biblical" without being heresy?

13. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

LS: False by Addition

Numerous times I have expressed appreciation for some contributions MacArthur has made to the church. However, on the most important doctrine of all, the Gospel, he has erred grievously. Lordship Salvation conditions the reception of eternal life on a lost man's commitment to "forsake everything."

When one takes the time to carefully read the way MacArthur defines how he believes the lost man must be born again you find the emphasis heavily slanted on behavior. That is why LS is man-centered and works based.

Lordship's quality of faith is measured by and and salvation is conditioned on the lost man's commitment to and performance of the good works (Eph. 2:10) expected of a born again disciple of Christ.

LS is a false gospel, works based message through the additions.

LM

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is Lou being himself again.He's got his one-stringed harp restrung again.

Whenever you charge JM with teaching/preaching a false Gospel -- that means you believe he is a false teacher. A false teacher cannot be a true believer;a Christian.You can't hold JM up as a brother in the Lord on that account.So which is he?Is JM a false teacher - hence a false brother?Or are you in the wrong for saying what you have from day one here ( not to mention previously elsewhere).If you regard him as a true Christian,he's your brother in the Lord.You may disagree with aspects of his message -- but to say he's a false teacher is shameful of you Lou.

15. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Rip:

I have been clear that IMO MacArthur is a Christian. I have also been clear and have shown from Scripture that his Lordship gospel is antithetical to the biblical plan of salvation. Lordship Salvation, as defined by MacArthur is a faith, plus commitment to works message.

That is a message that frustrates grace. (Gal. 2:21).

Lord willing he may one day be recovered from this egregious error, and all those who have been deceived by this teaching along with him

LM

16. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Can a person believe a false Gospel and be saved?

17. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No man has a perfect theology because if he did the man would be perfect. If it isn't perfect then there must be something false in it.
    MB

18. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

I suspect there is an ulterior motive for such a question.

19. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Very simple.....

Can a person believe a false Gospel and be saved?

Don't try to make it hard. Its a yes or no.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While Lou proves evasive,I'll answer the question.No. A person who believes a false [another] gospel can't be saved. And certainly one who teaches/preaches a false gospel can't be regenerate.