1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Myth: Republicans never do anything about abortion

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Planned Parenthood Republicans: A Decades-Long History

Trends within politics rarely occur in a vacuum. Instead, they develop within a broader ideological and historical context, which accounts for individual elected officials’ political motivations to this very day. Planned Parenthood, for instance, has always enjoyed the support of a notable component of the Republican Party, especially its moderate or Rockefeller wing, comprised of influential Establishment elitists, internationalists, and environmentalists.

The seven Republicans who voted in favor of retaining federal funding for Planned Parenthood, in addition to Senators Lisa Murkowski, Susan Collins, and Olympia Snowe, all hail from this tradition. Beyond their obvious support for pro-choice causes, these individuals are also characterized by a commitment to centrist policies and fiscal largesse — all indicative of their opposition to the principles of traditional, constitutional government.

Ever since its earliest days, Planned Parenthood has counted among its supporters prominent members of the Republican Party. As early as 1942, Connecticut Senator Prescott Bush (picture, above), grandfather of President George W. Bush, was a supporter of Margaret Sanger’s American Birth Control League, and in 1947, served as the treasurer for the first national campaign for Planned Parenthood. The political repercussions hit hard. Prescott Bush was knocked out of an expected victory for a Senate seat in Connecticut in 1950 after syndicated columnist Drew Pearson declared that it "has been made known" that Bush was a leader in the "Birth Control Society" (the original name of Planned Parenthood was the Birth Control Federation of America). Prescott Bush won a Senate seat two years later, and his son George and daughter-in-law Barbara continued to support Planned Parenthood even after George's election to Congress from Texas. In fact, he was such an advocate for family planning that some House colleagues nicknamed him "Rubbers."

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...parenthood-republicans-a-decades-long-history

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Poncho wants to take a few examples of liberal Republicans and paint the entire party with them. That is called a fallacy

3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Of course, primarily, but...
    ...we have a duty to protect the unborn too.

4. Matt Black

Site Supporter

I thought you were ignoring me? For someone who claims to ignore me you're (a) paying a undue amount of attention to my posts and (b) haven't the faintest idea what my 'purpose' here is.

I am in favour of anything that will reduce the level of abortion. Are you? I am also against racism in all its forms. Are you?

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you agree with the Ponch only 99.9% of the time he would then consider you a big time liberal.
    Its 101% or nothing.

6. thisnumbersdisconnected

Racism exists today only in very rare and limited forms today. What is generally painted as "racism" today is nothing more than personal prejudice, and cannot be legislated out of existence. You cannot force people to think differently, even when those thoughts are distasteful and ugly.

[/thread derail]

7. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Really? Then I have a bridge to sell you...

Try telling that to the new Miss America.

8. thisnumbersdisconnected

Yes, really. The civil rights industry has sold you a bill of goods very similar to that bridge you want to sell me, so the individual leaders can continue to get gullible people to send them money with which they can line their own pockets. As as long as you insist on calling personal prejudice "racism," you are :BangHead:

Good luck with that. Let me know how it turns out.

(PS: Should you want to continue this discussion, either start a new thread or PM me. This thread isn't about "racism.")

#28 thisnumbersdisconnected, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2013
  9. Matt Black

Site Supporter

If that's your final answer then there seems little point...

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes really..................

11. thisnumbersdisconnected

May as well have said, "I have no argument."

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is across the pond. He doesn't have a clue what is going on here except what he sees on the liberal media.

13. Matt Black

Site Supporter

So...what? The racial abuse she's got has been all in our imaginations?

14. Matt Black

Site Supporter

"May well have said 'I have no argument'"...

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok let's just say your point is true for arguments sake. It still doesn't make your point.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Ok let me translate what i said.

"No point in arguing with someone who has no working knowledge of what is actually going on here, only unfounded opinions."

17. Matt Black

Site Supporter

So it's an 'unfounded opinion' that Miss America had Tweeted about her eg: "Sooo upset that an Arab (sic: she is from a South Asian ethnic heritage) won" (and plenty more where that came from). Racism's just a figment of the 'liberal media's' imagination, is it?:laugh:

Wow. Just wow.

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apprently you have a reading comprehension problem. Or you are intentionally ignoring what I have posted. Which deserves a big wow!

19. thisnumbersdisconnected

As I said, to Matt but also to anyone else interested, let's continue this in PM or another thread. If you like, I'll start one.

#39 thisnumbersdisconnected, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2013
  20. Matt Black

Site Supporter

No, I'm responding to what you've posted. Why aren't you engaging with what I have????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.