1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

N.C. Economy To Improve In Late 2009

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Martin, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I pray the economists are correct. North Carolina has managed to stay clear of the major problems that states such as California are dealing with. However the '08 budget cuts were very painful for public schools, community colleges, and state universities.

Some readers (of the article) have questioned why we need a stimulus package if a late '09 recovery is possible. My answer to that is simple, the late '09 recovery is based on the idea that there will be some form of help coming from the federal government. Whether the idea of a stimulus package is a good idea or not is not the issue. There will be a very large stimulus package passed by President Obama in early '09. So the issue is how will that money be used by the states, businesses, and private citizens to improve the economy.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree Martin and glad your neck of the woods of not impacted like others. Cali is in dire straits. I really wish Gov could make cuts in other areas and leave schools and health care alone. It seems the first thing cut is the children and seniors.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==North Carolina likes to say it is an education state in fact our governor was awarded the education governor award recently. However when the budget needed cuts where did they look? The schools. It is just a sad fact of life that the schools are usually the hardest hit. They find money for all sorts of things, but not the schools. It boils down to the fact they have money for what they want to have money for.

4. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

What happened to the "$ millions $" from the "Education Lottery"?

5. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

It's not as bad here as it is in other states but I gave up looking for a job and I have returned to a community college with the VA paying the bill. (Thank you to all tax payers) As a disabled veteran I recieve some income just for being a full time student (Vocational Rehab). That has been my only income for the last year and a half. I am thankful for a wife with a job and a lot of understanding.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

People spend more money on entertainment than they do on the education of their children.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Administrator raises, while the rest went to the lottery business.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Very good question, I had not thought of that.

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Going back to school and gaining skills is probably one of the best options for someone who has not been able to find work thanks to our economic situation. Good luck in your studies and in finding work when you are finished! :thumbs:

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

At the university where I teach it looks like enrollments will be up for nest year. We are seeing some older students already. Older students tend to bring up the academic level because they typically work harder and find time on the weekends to study. I find I get more respect from them than students just out of high school because they recognize my experience whereas students from high school assume because you teach that you do not know what goes on out in the real world.